Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos draft grades (espn, foxsports, sportsline)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos draft grades (espn, foxsports, sportsline)

Not a big fan of these grades, but in case you're interested (and if you know of some other "grades", please feel free to include them):

Kiper's grade:
    Denver Broncos: GRADE: B

You have to factor in the acquisition of WR Javon Walker when grading the Broncos. I wasn't as high on QB Jay Cutler as much as some people were, but he is going to a well-coached team. Tony Scheffler is a very good pass-catching tight end, but getting him in the second round was too high. Guard Chris Kuper and center Greg Eslinger are both ideally suited for Denver's blocking scheme.
    John Czarnecki:
    3. Denver: Months ago, the Broncos started out with the 29th overall pick in the first round and somehow made several trades and ended up with Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler and Green Bay's Pro-Bowl receiver Javon Walker. The bottom line is that Mike Shanahan improved his team, especially if Walker produces like he did in 2004. Western Michigan TE Tony Scheffler is a Wesley Walls-type while Louisville pass rusher Elvis Dumervil had 20 sacks last season. Dumervil has a great motor and should help on nickel defense. A very productive draft when you consider Walker and Cutler are Broncos. Picked up Bronco-like offensive linemen in Chris Kuper and Greg Eslinger in the later rounds. Grade: A
    Pete Prisco:

Denver Broncos

Best pick: Fourth-round pick Brandon Marshall is a tall receiver with good speed who will help a receiving group that needs a deep threat.

Worst pick: They must really like Jay Cutler. But this is a team built to win now. So why waste a pick on a project quarterback?

Overall grade: B-. I don't like the Cutler move, and trading a second for Javon Walker is risky.

And, on a side note, Clark Judge considers this one of the biggest gambles:

5. Elvis Dumervil, DE, Denver: The Broncos can't resist taking chances. A year ago they struck out on running back Maurice Clarett. Now, they'll try to make a player out of 5-11 defensive end who's slow. I know, I know, it's hard to ignore productivity, and Dumervil led the nation last year in sacks. But you'd think the Broncos would've learned their lesson.

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
    And, on a side note, Clark Judge considers this one of the biggest gambles:
    5. Elvis Dumervil, DE, Denver: The Broncos can't resist taking chances. A year ago they struck out on running back Maurice Clarett. Now, they'll try to make a player out of 5-11 defensive end who's slow. I know, I know, it's hard to ignore productivity, and Dumervil led the nation last year in sacks. But you'd think the Broncos would've learned their lesson.
    I find that a bit silly. Is he talking slow in his 40 times? If so, there aren't many defensive linemen who are going to run down a ball carrier from behind so I don't think it's that important. Or is he talking speed getting to the QB? If so, the reports I read on him say he's really quick off the snap when he focuses.

I just don't see "slow" being one of his problems. His height, however, is questioned a bit by the various reports. We'll see.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Thanks for the report, Amigo.

I don't know a lot about Judge, but Prisco is the quintessential idiot among sports writers, IMO. I have long felt that way.
      One missing analysis is that of John Clayton's. He rated the Broncos as having the best draft in the league.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
        I find that a bit silly. Is he talking slow in his 40 times? If so, there aren't many defensive linemen who are going to run down a ball carrier from behind so I don't think it's that important. Or is he talking speed getting to the QB? If so, the reports I read on him say he's really quick off the snap when he focuses.

I just don't see "slow" being one of his problems. His height, however, is questioned a bit by the various reports. We'll see.
        If Judge is talking about 40 times, then you're right: It is just plain silly. As you implied, the burst, the explosion is what is important.
        I would be more interested in the player's 10 yard time, in the case of a DE, but that still wouldn't tell the whole story.

-----

Comment

We are one of Adam Schefters best.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9407945

Comment

Working...
          X