Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Dodge a bullet.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by kmartin575
    I know you all don't think Tamba Hali is all that talented, but I think you are basing that solely on his workout numbers at his pro day. He ran about a 4.85. However, he weighed in at 275 which is above his ideal playing weight which slowed him down. He said his ideal playing weight is a lean 260-265 pounds, at which he is much faster and has been timed in the 4.7 range. Carl Peterson was on the radio today and said he expects Hali to stay at a lighter weight and play as a speed rusher. Also, some people say that 18 reps of the 225 bench press is not very much. Yeah, it probably isn't but think of this. Chiefs DE Jared Allen has been a very productive player in his first two years, collecting 20 sacks over that period and 7 forced fumbles last season. The thing is, Jared Allen did a measly 13 reps of the 225 bench press at the time he was drafted. If he did that little yet was still as productive as he is, I don't think Hali will have a problem. Not to mention, leg strength is alot more important than upper body strength for a defensive lineman.
    I like Hali, but I'm wondering if he was good value at 20. Whatever, your team got their guy...

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by kmartin575
      Sorry, but what are you talking about. Jared Allen is easily better than any DE on the Broncos roster.
      Corey Jackson>Jared Allen

      Elvis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jared Allen

      Har Har...homerism

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by WABronco
        I like Hali, but I'm wondering if he was good value at 20. Whatever, your team got their guy...
        I agree we probably should have traded down a little ways then picked him up, but the rumor was that the Giants really like him as well and would have picked him up if he had fallen to them (which makes sense because they took another DE with Kiwanuka). I would have like another draft pick by trading down but I am happy with Hali.
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

        It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by WABronco
          Corey Jackson>Jared Allen

          Elvis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jared Allen

          Har Har...homerism
          Are you saying I'm a homer, LOL. I truly think Jared Allen is the best DE in the AFC West next to Derrick Burgess. Denver does have the better defense, but DE is not exactly a strength for the Broncos IMO and Jared Allen has been more productive than anybody on the Broncos roster.
          "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

          It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by kmartin575
            Are you saying I'm a homer, LOL. I truly think Jared Allen is the best DE in the AFC West next to Derrick Burgess. Denver does have the better defense, but DE is not exactly a strength for the Broncos IMO and Jared Allen has been more productive than anybody on the Broncos roster.
            No, I'm not. Allen's a nice player, but he best watch himself or Plummer's gonna kick his ass the next time he give him some mouth (they always seem to be yapping at eachother)!

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by WABronco
              No, I'm not. Allen's a nice player, but he best watch himself or Plummer's gonna kick his ass the next time he give him some mouth (they always seem to be yapping at eachother)!
              The last time we faced each other it was Plummer getting his ass kicked. I'm sure you remember that sack by Derrick Johnson where Plummer got laid out, don't you?
              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

              It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by WABronco
                Lol. I thought you were joking about that backup kicker selection. Funny stuff! How does that even happen? Perhaps they misread the roster on draft day? "Say Marty, who's that kicker from Virginia?" "Oh gee, I dunno. He's number...ahh heck, he's the only kicker on the team. Just take him..." He must have a big leg or something, because Nate Kaeding is their kicker for the long run, right?

                I also agree on Hali. He was taken solely on intangibles IMO. I don't think he'll suck or anything, but no. 20 overall? However, Pollard was rumored to be a bit of a mouth in the locker-room, so maybe they're seeing something in Hali that we don't.
                I have no clue how that happens. At first, I thought that maybe he was their punter and just got classified as a kicker. It turns out Chris Gould was their punter all year, so that can't be right. Maybe Smith's a kickoff specialist or something. But I remember at the Tech-UVA game this year, Connor Hughes (considered by most to be the second-third best kicker in the draft) had a pretty big leg himself. Still, kickoff specialist is the only explanation I could think of. It's not like Kaeding is bad at kickoffs himself, though. What a dumb pick.

                As for Hali, maybe Herm Edwards saw his story on NFL Network and sympathized and was like, "Let's draft this kid early so we can give him a nice signing bonus to help him get his mother out of Liberia." Or maybe, as you might've implied, Hali was brought in to beat the hell out of Bernard Pollard (who they planned on reaching for in the 2nd) if there comes a time when he forgets how to shut his mouth. I think that's the definition of a "good locker room guy."
                A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

                So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

                Comment


                • #38
                  I think Denver had the best draft, but they also had the most picks to do so with. When Denver has 7 picks in the first 4 rounds (6 after they traded for Walker) it is kind of hard to compete with them.
                  "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

                  It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                    Or maybe, as you might've implied, Hali was brought in to beat the hell out of Bernard Pollard (who they planned on reaching for in the 2nd) if there comes a time when he forgets how to shut his mouth. I think that's the definition of a "good locker room guy."
                    Lol!

                    Wasn't exactly what I was implying, but funny nonetheless! I meant that maybe Pollard's selection signaled that they weren't completely concerned with character. I dunno though, when a guy is as big of a force as Pollard is (in run support anyways), character concerns may become secondary.

                    Funny picture though. Herm, "Hey Bernard, you best watch yo's self. We drafted your designated ass kicker, so you best go out there and get dirty!"

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by kmartin575
                      I know you all don't think Tamba Hali is all that talented, but I think you are basing that solely on his workout numbers at his pro day. He ran about a 4.85. However, he weighed in at 275 which is above his ideal playing weight which slowed him down. He said his ideal playing weight is a lean 260-265 pounds, at which he is much faster and has been timed in the 4.7 range. Carl Peterson was on the radio today and said he expects Hali to stay at a lighter weight and play as a speed rusher. Also, some people say that 18 reps of the 225 bench press is not very much. Yeah, it probably isn't but think of this. Chiefs DE Jared Allen has been a very productive player in his first two years, collecting 20 sacks over that period and 7 forced fumbles last season. The thing is, Jared Allen did a measly 13 reps of the 225 bench press at the time he was drafted. If he did that little yet was still as productive as he is, I don't think Hali will have a problem. Not to mention, leg strength is alot more important than upper body strength for a defensive lineman.
                      You do know Hali played left defensive end, right? That means he faced college right tackles who are consistently a notch below their left counterparts. He damn well better have been good against them. I have doubts as to whether he would have had nearly as much success had he been a right end like Kiwanuka, Lawson, Wimbley, or even Haralson or McClover.

                      For instance, against Wisconsin, he had 9 tackles, 7 of them for a loss, and 4 sacks. No way he would've come remotely close to that had he been matched up with Joe Thomas instead. In all likelihood, he would've had 0 sacks.

                      Don't get me wrong, I still consider Hali an early second round prospect. I just think 20th overall was a reach.
                      A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

                      So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by kmartin575
                        The last time we faced each other it was Plummer getting his ass kicked. I'm sure you remember that sack by Derrick Johnson where Plummer got laid out, don't you?
                        Oh no! Plummer got sacked! What a travesty!!!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                          You do know Hali played left defensive end, right? That means he faced college right tackles who are consistently a notch below their left counterparts. He damn well better have been good against them. I have doubts as to whether he would have had nearly as much success had he been a right end like Kiwanuka, Lawson, Wimbley, or even Haralson or McClover.

                          For instance, against Wisconsin, he had 9 tackles, 7 of them for a loss, and 4 sacks. No way he would've come remotely close to that had he been matched up with Joe Thomas instead. In all likelihood, he would've had 0 sacks.

                          Don't get me wrong, I still consider Hali an early second round prospect. I just think 20th overall was a reach.
                          Yea, what he said...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                            You do know Hali played left defensive end, right? That means he faced college right tackles who are consistently a notch below their left counterparts. He damn well better have been good against them. I have doubts as to whether he would have had nearly as much success had he been a right end like Kiwanuka, Lawson, Wimbley, or even Haralson or McClover.

                            For instance, against Wisconsin, he had 9 tackles, 7 of them for a loss, and 4 sacks. No way he would've come remotely close to that had he been matched up with Joe Thomas instead. In all likelihood, he would've had 0 sacks.

                            Don't get me wrong, I still consider Hali an early second round prospect. I just think 20th overall was a reach.
                            His main position may have been left end, but like Jared Allen he played both sides. In videos I have seen of him he has had sacks from the right end as well.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

                            It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by myoung
                              Did you even read the post. I didn't say anything like this at all.

                              I think you should practice your reading skills before you get twisted up so much.
                              Show me a literate Raiders fan and I'll show you an endangered species!
                              "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                              - Mythbusters

                              "Go America... Go Broncos"
                              - Stan, South Park

                              I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
                              - Me

                              God Bless the United States of America!

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by kmartin575
                                Sorry, but what are you talking about. Jared Allen is easily better than any DE on the Broncos roster.
                                I agree with this. I believe our DEs are sub standard. The combination of Lang, Brown, and the such does not make me real happy.

                                But I was trying to compare them to the average not to our DEs.

                                I think Allen can get some pressure but he is not the best all around DE. I think Hali will have a hard time translating his skill set to the NFL. I had several of these concerns before the combine. now I am even more concerned. A 4.85 40 is a real problem when a guy needs to get pressure on the QB. There are very few that can get pressure from the DE with that speed. The ones that do are generally larger and stronger than Hali.

                                I like the kids heart but I don't think he will be a superstar.

                                I think Allen will get some pressure but be very weak against the run and then Hali will end up being average to better than average against the run but not be able to get a pass rush and at the end of the day the Chiefs will be stuck with 0 difference makers on the D Line.

                                You can't really be defending that Defense can you? It has sucked for so long and you have to realize that has to do with how bad you reach for Defensive players in the draft. I thought you turned the corner last year but I guess not.....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X