Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didnt the Chiefs take a CB in the Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didnt the Chiefs take a CB in the Draft?

This isn't very official so dont ask for a link for number 1, and number two if the mods feel a need to move this to the rumor forum, go ahead i guess

Carl Peterson was on a local radio station today quoted saying somehting like this.... Whitlock (interviewer) "With Ty Law still jobless, what is you take on him?"
    Peterson "Law called Herm about a week before the draft saying he was still jobless and Herm said i know. Herm told Ty Law that they should get in touch after the draft and all the UDFA get out of the way for the most part."

Whitlock asked "So Law might consider coming here?"
    Peterson, "With Edwards being his former coach i would say its more than 50% possible if we can work out the numbers, we are looking to here from Law very soon here in KC."

That would explain the skipping of a CB in the KC draft, but like i said i just heard this on the radio so it could be Peterson pleasing the fans or it could be serious.

This would make my day, it would definitly make up for a mediocre draft
    Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

I think the Chiefs are very high on some of there young corners. The Chiefs are supposedly real high on Alphonso Hodge, and 5th round pick Marcus Maxey is a favorite of Herm Edwards. Most players that come out of Miami ususally are pretty good anyways. If we can get a good pass rush with Tamba Hali on the other side of Jared Allen then our inexperience at cornerback should not be as big of a problem. We didn't draft the way most fans or analysts thought we should, but I like the picks. Before the draft I knew we needed more depth and competition at safety and now we got two very large safeties who can both hit and are good tacklers. Bernard Pollard was called the "bonecrusher" at Purdue.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
      Whitlock asked "So Law might consider coming here?"
      Peterson, "With Edwards being his former coach i would say its more than 50% possible if we can work out the numbers, we are looking to here from Law very soon here in KC."
      If Law does go to the Chiefs, one nice thing for the AFC West will be the Postons gouging the Chiefs for way too much money for his services. Like the scorpion, it's what they do.

Originally posted by kmartin575
      I think the Chiefs are very high on some of there young corners. The Chiefs are supposedly real high on Alphonso Hodge, and 5th round pick Marcus Maxey is a favorite of Herm Edwards. Most players that come out of Miami ususally are pretty good anyways. If we can get a good pass rush with Tamba Hali on the other side of Jared Allen then our inexperience at cornerback should not be as big of a problem. We didn't draft the way most fans or analysts thought we should, but I like the picks. Before the draft I knew we needed more depth and competition at safety and now we got two very large safeties who can both hit and are good tacklers. Bernard Pollard was called the "bonecrusher" at Purdue.
      On a side note, while not all the Chiefs moves on the D-line have worked out, I do respect the fact that they address it quite often early in their drafts. Their tendency to draft D-line early is a trait I wish Denver would start to emulate. Hali could be a really good pick-up.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

There is a big difference between Hali and our other d-line picks from recent years. Guys like Eric Downing, Eddie Freeman, Junior Siavii, and Ryan Sims all had good workout numbers but had questionable work ethic and motivation. Tamba Hali didn't test out all that great at his pro day but he has a great work ethic and a non-stop motor. I was not too happy at first, but now I am starting to like the pick. Tamba Hali did run about a 4.85 at his pro day, but he was also at a weight (275) that was above his normal playing weight. Tamba Hali said that his ideal playing weight is around 260 to 265, and at that weight he should be alot faster and be able to run in the 4.7-4.75 range (as he has done before).
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

I thought Lenny Walls had latched onto you guys? Did y'all cut him loose after picking his brains for our defensive schemes ^_~

Comment

I think you will be happy with Hali, he's non-stop. As for Ty Law, I think you guys would be better off with your young corners rather than Law. Not sure Law still has enough in the tank to be the answer in your secondary.
            God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

There is a big difference between Hali and our other d-line picks from recent years. Guys like Eric Downing, Eddie Freeman, Junior Siavii, and Ryan Sims all had good workout numbers but had questionable work ethic and motivation. Tamba Hali didn't test out all that great at his pro day but he has a great work ethic and a non-stop motor. I was not too happy at first, but now I am starting to like the pick. Tamba Hali did run about a 4.85 at his pro day, but he was also at a weight (275) that was above his normal playing weight. Tamba Hali said that his ideal playing weight is around 260 to 265, and at that weight he should be alot faster and be able to run in the 4.7-4.75 range (as he has done before).
              40 times are overrated at most positions, but especially on the defensive line. It is quite possible to have good burst off the line and speed to get to the QB but not post the best 40 times.

If that is the biggest complaint about Hali, I wouldn't sweat it.
              ------

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                40 times are overrated at most positions, but especially on the defensive line. It is quite possible to have good burst off the line and speed to get to the QB but not post the best 40 times.

If that is the biggest complaint about Hali, I wouldn't sweat it.
                Agreed. What matters is the players 10 yard or 20 yard dash time (for defensive line players) and Tamba Hali supposedly has a time that is more in tune with most other defensive line players.

Comment

I heard a rumor about Law visiting KC today or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
                    I heard a rumor about Law visiting KC today or tomorrow.
                    I think he called up Herm Edwards before the draft (or vice-versa, I'm not sure which) and the Chiefs could bring him in soon. I don't know if it is today or tomorrow, but I have heard it would be soon. I'm kind of lukewarm to bringing him here. He would really help us, but I think he would kind of hurt the development of our young corners and he would only be a temporary fix.

Comment

Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                      I thought Lenny Walls had latched onto you guys? Did y'all cut him loose after picking his brains for our defensive schemes ^_~
                      Pfffffft. I would bet the chiefs know more about our defensive schemes then Lenny Walls does. Its not KNOWING the schemes... its trying to figure out what to call while guesing what they will do within their schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        Pfffffft. I would bet the chiefs know more about our defensive schemes then Lenny Walls does. Its not KNOWING the schemes... its trying to figure out what to call while guesing what they will do within their schemes.
                        Like we know when you are going to run the bootleg yet we still can't stop it. I actually think we did quite well against the bootleg last year.

Comment

Like we know when you are going to run the bootleg yet we still can't stop it. I actually think we did quite well against the bootleg last year.
                          The thing is, the bootleg serves a dual purpose. If your players start to stay home and defend the bootleg better, a number of them will be taken out of the pursuit of the ball carrier. So when teams are staying home, the Broncos tend to call the bootleg less and take advantage of the reduced pursuit.

It's a great tactic. You just adjust to how the defense is adjusting to you.
                          ------

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsOwnU
                            I think you will be happy with Hali, he's non-stop. As for Ty Law, I think you guys would be better off with your young corners rather than Law. Not sure Law still has enough in the tank to be the answer in your secondary.
                            Law is one of the better corners to play in the past 20 years though. He can sure help teach younger guys and I am sure he can contribute quite a bit still to a defense. If the Broncos had money I would love to see him come here and have him play next to Champ even though we have some superstar young players. He is just a special athlete.

Comment

Working...
                            X