Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the Rams didn't know we were going to draft Cutler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the Rams didn't know we were going to draft Cutler?

There was a lot of talk that the Rams could be drafting one of the top three QBs with their top pick. But then they traded with us and we took the last of the three in Cutler.

So, we've heard that Denver didn't contact Cutler since the combine and Shanny claimed he didn't want anyone even wondering if we were thinking about him. Is it possible that the Rams thought they could drop four spots and still get Cutler while picking up our high 3rd rounder? If so, I'll bet they were spitting nails when his name was announced.

Do you think Shanny & Co. inadvertently screwed St. Louis by being so extremely secretive?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Nahhh...

They've got Bulger and Frerotte. I think last year was the only year where Bulger had a significant injury since he's started, so I'm wondering if their interest in a QB was just a smokescreen.

They really, really needed a corner anyways. Their best guy last year was Corey Ivy. Does anyone here know who Corey Ivy is? Plus Ronald Bartell is beefing up to play safety. They were looking at the worst cornerback corps in league history before they drafted Hill...

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
      Nahhh...

They've got Bulger and Frerotte. I think last year was the only year where Bulger had a significant injury since he's started, so I'm wondering if their interest in a QB was just a smokescreen.

They really, really needed a corner anyways. Their best guy last year was Corey Ivy. Does anyone here know who Corey Ivy is? Plus Ronald Bartell is beefing up to play safety. They were looking at the worst cornerback corps in league history before they drafted Hill...
      I agree they had other needs. But then again, so did the Broncos. Apparently it's difficult to pass up a potential "franchise QB". I don't know. It was just a possibility that occured to me.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I don't know, probably at 11 they were feeling a little bit like the Broncos at 15: the expecte players available were in no-need positions; moving back they could get more value. Maybe Cuttler was on top of their list, but at 11 was a little bit high (just like probably Maroney was high in the Broncos list, but at 15 was a little bit high); they traded knowing that they probably wouldn't get their first best, but a close second best.

Besides, I don't know but Browns or Ravens could be potentially interested in Cuttler, too. I think that they knew they were running a risk, and willing to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
          There was a lot of talk that the Rams could be drafting one of the top three QBs with their top pick. But then they traded with us and we took the last of the three in Cutler.

So, we've heard that Denver didn't contact Cutler since the combine and Shanny claimed he didn't want anyone even wondering if we were thinking about him. Is it possible that the Rams thought they could drop four spots and still get Cutler while picking up our high 3rd rounder? If so, I'll bet they were spitting nails when his name was announced.

Do you think Shanny & Co. inadvertently screwed St. Louis by being so extremely secretive?
          I thought the exact same thing after reading the article about Shanahan being sure to keep his interest in Cutler a secret. The Rams were supposed to be pretty interested in Cutler... that being the case, its pretty surprising they would trade that spot away to a team that would take him.. IF they knew. I'm betting they just figured Denver would be taking the RB. If they were truly planning on getting Cutler, they are really REALLY feeling foolish right now on that move.

Comment

no...i dont think they really cared about cutler or they would have valued that pick like gold...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo_Bronco
              Besides, I don't know but Browns or Ravens could be potentially interested in Cuttler, too. I think that they knew they were running a risk, and willing to take it.
              Let's see if there was any chance the Browns wanted Cutler.

The entire city of Cleveland, the entire state of Ohio, loves Charlie Frye. Every Browns fan likes Charlie Frye. Why would the Browns want someone else when Charlie Frye is so well liked? Not going to happen. The Browns would NOT go after Cutler.
              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Why would they trade down 4 spots if they wanted the QB. This would be very risky on trying to get him considering he was pretty high in a lot of draft boards.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                  Nahhh...

Yes I know who Corey Ivy is. He played db at OU during those horrible john blake years. But yeah I get your point.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

No way....

There were rumors, even on ESPN.COM the week before the draft that we were after Cutler and he wouldn't last past 15. The Rams had to know that a trade with us certainly could have been for Cutler. They made the decision to move down because they decided against drafting a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                      No way....

There were rumors, even on ESPN.COM the week before the draft that we were after Cutler and he wouldn't last past 15. The Rams had to know that a trade with us certainly could have been for Cutler. They made the decision to move down because they decided against drafting a QB.
                      Those where pure rumors that didn't start with us though. Shanny even said he didn't tell anyone or even talk to Cutler himself so that noone would know what he was thinking.

Comment

No way....

I live in St. Louis and most of the draft talk leading up to the draft was about defense. Chad Greenway and Jimmy Williams was the talk. I dont think St Louis knew that we were drafting Cutler. That may have driven the cost up. That's where I think Shanny being secretive helped out. If the rams or anybody knew how bad Shanny wanted Cutler, it would surely have cost us more than a third rounder.

Comment

No way....

This is correct. The other speculation assumes that the Rams are stupid and don't even know as much as the average fan. The instant that trade was announced I knew it was Cutler. So undoubtably did every GM in football.

That means the Rams knew as soon as Shanahan called them on the phone exactly what he was after. . . and they didn't care.

They had other needs and wanted to address those. Not everybody is convinced that Cutler is a franchise QB worth taking in the top 11 picks! Don't wear the Orange Colored glasses too much here!

Mel Kiper actually ripped the pick because he thinks Cutler will be mediocre at best. (Before you rip Mel for a fool, he's often wrong, but usually he's wrong by touting guys like Ryan Leaf as "great picks" not the other way around --- ripping guys who are going to be great -- he overblows ordinary picks into future Hall of Famers if anything).
                          sigpic

Comment

Nawww . . .

Assuming they aren't brain-dead, the Rams knew what the Broncos were up to. So did the whole league when it happened. Problem is, it happened too late, and there was nothing they could do about it, that is, the rest of the league. But if the Rams were after Cutler . . . trust me . . . they would not have made that trade.

Unless they were, indeed, brain-dead.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                              This is correct. The other speculation assumes that the Rams are stupid and don't even know as much as the average fan. The instant that trade was announced I knew it was Cutler. So undoubtably did every GM in football.

That means the Rams knew as soon as Shanahan called them on the phone exactly what he was after. . . and they didn't care.

They had other needs and wanted to address those. Not everybody is convinced that Cutler is a franchise QB worth taking in the top 11 picks! Don't wear the Orange Colored glasses too much here!

Mel Kiper actually ripped the pick because he thinks Cutler will be mediocre at best. (Before you rip Mel for a fool, he's often wrong, but usually he's wrong by touting guys like Ryan Leaf as "great picks" not the other way around --- ripping guys who are going to be great -- he overblows ordinary picks into future Hall of Famers if anything).
                              All sports writters are normally wrong more than 50% of the time about what they predict.

Comment

Working...
                              X