The Future of the AFC West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of the AFC West

After this draft you may not have noticed this, but all four of the West teams have Qb's of the future...whether they will become that or not has yet to be seen but they all are lookin to get a qb for years down the road.

SD: Rivers.... 2 years ago that was a dumb pick, but now his time has come, and we just have to hope he aint worth what they gave up for. I wish him the best like I hope for most players...except when he plays Denver

KC: Croyle this year,from Bama. He has been said to be groomed to be the backup and may eventually become the starter.

Oakland: that one qb (Andrew something?) is supposedly theyre qb of the future, they also may end upwith Lil Vick... but either way they lookin to the future

DB: We of course got Cutler, and I just hope that he is everything Shanny hopes he can be. If so we will most likely be in the thick of things for many years to come.

Now I want to say this, despite being a Bronco Fan, Ihope that all four of these guys pan out, simply so the games to come down the road will be as entertaining as the games I have seen. It seems a lot better than say the NFC North where for years GreenBay and Minny beat up on the other two as they struggled through qbs... I am glad that our teams at least have a plan.... (just may not workout)

Heres to the AFC West, hopin it is one of the best conferences for many years to come
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
    After this draft you may not have noticed this, but all four of the West teams have Qb's of the future...whether they will become that or not has yet to be seen but they all are lookin to get a qb for years down the road.

SD: Rivers.... 2 years ago that was a dumb pick, but now his time has come, and we just have to hope he aint worth what they gave up for. I wish him the best like I hope for most players...except when he plays Denver

KC: Croyle this year,from Bama. He has been said to be groomed to be the backup and may eventually become the starter.

Oakland: that one qb (Andrew something?) is supposedly theyre qb of the future, they also may end upwith Lil Vick... but either way they lookin to the future

DB: We of course got Cutler, and I just hope that he is everything Shanny hopes he can be. If so we will most likely be in the thick of things for many years to come.

Now I want to say this, despite being a Bronco Fan, Ihope that all four of these guys pan out, simply so the games to come down the road will be as entertaining as the games I have seen. It seems a lot better than say the NFC North where for years GreenBay and Minny beat up on the other two as they struggled through qbs... I am glad that our teams at least have a plan.... (just may not workout)

Heres to the AFC West, hopin it is one of the best conferences for many years to come
    I too think some of these QBs will be good in the future.
    They will be the best in this order:

1) Jay Cutler
    2) Phillip Rivers
    3) Brodie Croyle
    4) Andrew Walter

I think Jay has all of the intangibles and can make every throw there is. Ron Jaworski said he saw every throw Cutler made and he believes he is the best QB in this year's draft, projects very well to the Pros and believes he is the REAL DEAL.

I like what Phillip Rivers can do and think he will turn out to be a good pro, but for he Broncos sake I hope he doesn't do good or at least against us.

Brodie Croyle has potential and I think he CAN be good.

Andrew Walter is a good QB, and he might turn out because he fits the Raiders system well.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

All teams are looking good for the future and instead of saying ours will turn out the best I decided to say that Rivers will be the best. Don't get me wrong I think Cutler will be the best, but this is being a non-homer.

Anyway Phillip Rivers last year his game against Denver was a little rough, but as time moves on he needs to improve since him out of all the future QB's are starting next season and he needs to show big improvement which I think he can do. Rivers has alot of weapons on Offense and he needs to depend on LT alot, if he can do that then watch for him to make some passes and complete big time ones, much like Roetlisburger(sp?) in Pittsburgh, running game first and as few throws as possible. With LT this is how they should ru nthe Offense.

As for Brodie Croyle I believe he will do well for KC after learning a few years from Trent Green. He as well as some weapons on Offense and another great Running Back in LJ. I look for Rivers to do better then Croyle, but I still think he will be effective down in Kansas City.

As for the Raiders I do not know much about Andrew Walter so I can't really comment on him, however, he does have great weapons for Wide Recievers in Moss, Porter, and Gabriel. Plus I believe unless I am wrong that he is very mobile and can run if needed along with a passing arm? Anyway he should do well for Oakland in the years.

As for Cutler I believe he will have alot of success learning behind Plummer and getting used to the Denver system. He also has a great WR in Javon Walker when he starts Smith will probably be retired by then, but I look for maybe Terrell and I bet Marshall will be big time step ups for Denver which will be great.

Thos are my opinions.

Comment

I still don't know about Andrew Walter. The Raiders really seem to be missing the boat to me. They have had chances to rebuild but they keep screwing it up. I am concerned for Huff. I hope he doesn't ended up wasting his talent in Oakland.

I really like Rivers and I think he will succeed. I do think there will be a little drop in production from the Chargers but they are setup for success long term.

The Chiefs offense is setup to explode soon, and not in a good way. Their O Line is old and as was seen last year that is a bad thing. If Roaf is out for much time at all they have problems. Gonzalez is getting old and they have no receivers for the future. They need to win in the next couple of years. The real downside to them is that they can't focus on rebuilding the offense quickly because they have so many holes in the D. I will say this, they will be scary this year. LJ is as good as they come.

Comment

I may be a bit of a homer, but I think Brodie Croyle has what it takes to be just as good if not better than the rest of those guys. Croyle's main problem is he is small and prone to injury. However, that is not that big of a deal considering he can still sit behind Trent Green for another 2 or 3 years. Trent Green is 36 but he is a very young 36, considering he never really got a chance to play much football until about his 5th or 6th year in the league. Despite his small size, Brodie Croyle was said to have the strongest arm of any of the top quarterbacks in the draft this year. Croyle has been compared to Joe Montana and Tom Brady by the fact that they too were quarterbacks who had all of the top intangibles but were a little too small coming out of college. I believe Croyle can play the game just as good as any of the other quarterbacks mentioned, and given the chance to bulk up for a couple of years he should have a great chance to be a very good quarterback. I believe that if Croyle had weighed in around the 220 range and had a little more muscle on his body, he would have been grouped in with the top 3 of Leinart, Young, and Cutler. I think Croyle is also more NFL ready than Vince Young, who probably needs a good 3 years before he ever has a chance to develop as an NFL quarterback.
          "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
            I still don't know about Andrew Walter. The Raiders really seem to be missing the boat to me. They have had chances to rebuild but they keep screwing it up. I am concerned for Huff. I hope he doesn't ended up wasting his talent in Oakland.

I really like Rivers and I think he will succeed. I do think there will be a little drop in production from the Chargers but they are setup for success long term.

The Chiefs offense is setup to explode soon, and not in a good way. Their O Line is old and as was seen last year that is a bad thing. If Roaf is out for much time at all they have problems. Gonzalez is getting old and they have no receivers for the future. They need to win in the next couple of years. The real downside to them is that they can't focus on rebuilding the offense quickly because they have so many holes in the D. I will say this, they will be scary this year. LJ is as good as they come.
            Actually our offense is not set to explode like you think. We have alot of young talented receivers. WR Craphonso Thorpe out of Florida State was drafted last year in the 4th round but was seen as a 1st round talent before he broke his leg the year before. He has good size (6'1", 188) and great speed (4.34) and will get a chance to compete. WR Samie Parker will probably never develop into a star but he is still a very reliable slot receiver or maybe even #2 receiver. He has below average size (5'10", 178) but is very fast as well (4.35). The Chiefs may have gotten one of the steals of the 2006 draft this year with WR Jeff Webb in the 6th round. Webb has great size (6'2", 208) and has speed in the 4.3 range. The Chiefs will need to draft a top receiver next year probably but we have alot of young and fast receivers with great size. Offensive line is not also as big a need as you think. Left Tackle Will Svitek is probably our future starter at left tackle. He is in NFL Europe right now and is the left tackle for the team with the most rushing yards by far, the Frankfurt Galaxy. Former Chiefs center John Welbourn is coaching over in NFL Europe and he called in on the radio a while back with an interesting conversation. He said how current Chiefs OL John Welbourn couldn't hold Will Svitek's jock, he is that good. The Chiefs offense will be fine for the future. You can't replace Will Shields and Willie Roaf and expect no dropoff, but we will be fine.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
              Actually our offense is not set to explode like you think. We have alot of young talented receivers. WR Craphonso Thorpe out of Florida State was drafted last year in the 4th round but was seen as a 1st round talent before he broke his leg the year before. He has good size (6'1", 188) and great speed (4.34) and will get a chance to compete. WR Samie Parker will probably never develop into a star but he is still a very reliable slot receiver or maybe even #2 receiver. He has below average size (5'10", 178) but is very fast as well (4.35). The Chiefs may have gotten one of the steals of the 2006 draft this year with WR Jeff Webb in the 6th round. Webb has great size (6'2", 208) and has speed in the 4.3 range. The Chiefs will need to draft a top receiver next year probably but we have alot of young and fast receivers with great size. Offensive line is not also as big a need as you think. Left Tackle Will Svitek is probably our future starter at left tackle. He is in NFL Europe right now and is the left tackle for the team with the most rushing yards by far, the Frankfurt Galaxy. Former Chiefs center John Welbourn is coaching over in NFL Europe and he called in on the radio a while back with an interesting conversation. He said how current Chiefs OL John Welbourn couldn't hold Will Svitek's jock, he is that good. The Chiefs offense will be fine for the future. You can't replace Will Shields and Willie Roaf and expect no dropoff, but we will be fine.
              I think it is tough to hang your hat on low round draft picks and guys playing in NFL Europe. In reality most of them do not pan out and they are lucky to hang around the league for a few years.

I like Parker. He needs to stop fumbling at key points but he is fast. The problem is that you already have a fast small receiver and I don't understand how having two of them gives you a decent chance to win.

I think your offense is very good right now. But the OL will have to be rebuilt to some extent in the near future and so will the entire recieving corps. The other problem is that you need to do this while rebuilding a porous D. Which it seems no matter what you do you can't seem to fix. I feel for you. I look at the money, time, and energy you put into that D and it has to be frustrating.

Too many parts to upgrade or replace in too small amount of time. At least that is my opinion.....

Comment

I understand that guys in NFL Europe usually don't have much of an impact, but the Chiefs have been different. I believe Dante Hall, Mike Maslowski, and Brian Waters all played in NFL Europe and two of those guys have been to the pro bowl. Brian Waters was a former tight end and defensive lineman who is now an all-pro guard. Will Svitek was a DE at stanford, and I believe the Chiefs can make the same transition. At 6'6", 300 pounds Svitek has great size and he is very quick. He has all the athleticism, the only thing he needs to learn is the technique. He is also said to have the frame to be able to carry about 330 pounds. Brian Waters isn't even 30 yet so he will be with us for a while. We have enough young guys at tackle that one of them has to be able to become a good starter at right tackle. Will Shields will likely be gone next year, but John Welbourn is good enough to do a pretty damn good job in his spot. We will need a new center in the near future. Like I said, we probably will need to draft a top WR next year or sign somebody in free agency, but our WR's are going to be better off than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                  I understand that guys in NFL Europe usually don't have much of an impact, but the Chiefs have been different. I believe Dante Hall, Mike Maslowski, and Brian Waters all played in NFL Europe and two of those guys have been to the pro bowl. Brian Waters was a former tight end and defensive lineman who is now an all-pro guard. Will Svitek was a DE at stanford, and I believe the Chiefs can make the same transition. At 6'6", 300 pounds Svitek has great size and he is very quick. He has all the athleticism, the only thing he needs to learn is the technique. He is also said to have the frame to be able to carry about 330 pounds. Brian Waters isn't even 30 yet so he will be with us for a while. We have enough young guys at tackle that one of them has to be able to become a good starter at right tackle. Will Shields will likely be gone next year, but John Welbourn is good enough to do a pretty damn good job in his spot. We will need a new center in the near future. Like I said, we probably will need to draft a top WR next year or sign somebody in free agency, but our WR's are going to be better off than you think.
                  Your WRs may be better than I think but Gonzalez currently makes the ones you have much better than they are. Roaf and Shields help hide the issue as well. As those three lose a step or are lost I think it is a big problem. You have three all pros which will be gone shortly and these guys are the ones that make that Offense click.

Look what happened last year when Roaf was out. In fact if he doesnt' get injured you probably make the playoffs instead of the Steelers and the whole offseason is a different story. Since you guys can't win a playoff game, someone else could have won the title.

I think the guys you will plug into the OL are not near the talent of what you have. This will make the current guys that are not real good look alot worse and real quick. Green will suffer as will all of the WRs.

Comment

Working...
                  X