Quit all the whining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In-com-plete
    But D-line is a position that we need and have ignored for years. How much did we need a future franchise QB? Like I said earlier, we should have drafted for need.

Mel Kiper on Ngata:
    Perfect body for a nose tackle and has the athleticism to play either tackle in the 4-3. Needs better technique but is a rare talent. Surprisingly active in pursuit. Never gives up on plays. Impressive agility and athleticism.

Sporting News:
    Terrific upside. Brute strength and can overpower at times. When fresh, dominates the point of attack. Technique needs work and tires easily.

In all the other things I've read about him not once did I hear anything about a poor work ethic. I may be wrong, but I thought I read the opposite.

I can respect that.

I honestly believe that Shanahan really felt Cutler will be Denver's future at QB. I don't think it was a situation where Shanahan just wanted to get a Qb to groom. I feel like if it was almost any other QB other then Cutler, DEnver would've went with a different pick. Shanahan obviously fell in love with Cutler, and alot of the 'experts' fell Cutler will be the best QB in the draft.

I didn't embrace the pick at all at first, because I wanted a pass rusher. I think Ngata could be great if he sets his mind to it, but I don't see him solving Denver's lack of a pass rush. He might take oline of the LB's hands, but so does Denver's current oline.

Wimbley would have been intriguing, or even Bunkley for a pass rush, but I think SHanahan made a decision that he could get his future QB that he coveted with Cutler.

I know we still need a dominant pass rusher, as we have for years, but I love the idea that Denver is drafting for 2-3 years down the road.

That same draft philosophy is why Pittsburgh, and New England have won SuperBowls. New England rarely drafts need, they draft for 2-3 years down the road.

I can respect that people are upset that we didn't fill our pass rushing need, but I do love the approach Denver has taken with drafting for the future in the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by In-com-plete
      But D-line is a position that we need and have ignored for years. How much did we need a future franchise QB? Like I said earlier, we should have drafted for need.

Mel Kiper on Ngata:
      Perfect body for a nose tackle and has the athleticism to play either tackle in the 4-3. Needs better technique but is a rare talent. Surprisingly active in pursuit. Never gives up on plays. Impressive agility and athleticism.

Sporting News:
      Terrific upside. Brute strength and can overpower at times. When fresh, dominates the point of attack. Technique needs work and tires easily.

In all the other things I've read about him not once did I hear anything about a poor work ethic. I may be wrong, but I thought I read the opposite.
      Another great post!

Both sides have been well represented in this thread. A lot of facts have been thrown around and it seems the entire Broncos Nation is split right down the middle on what we think about the pick.

I'm not really sure what my opinion is because I can see both sides of the argument.

1. I think Cutler has the talent to be a solid QB in the years to come and it is an exciting pick....for the future.

2. I believe we didn't make the "best" move for our football team right now with this pick. It's not a "bad" move, it's just not the "best" move for right now.

The bottom line is we traded up to fill a position that, aside from needing some depth, wasn't really a top need when you conisder where our football club was last year. If Jake goes down then our season could be in a lot of trouble next year anyways.

Grabbing Javon Walker was huge. This is the immediate help that everyone was talking about that we need to get to the superbowl next year since we were so close last year. However, I think we had a few more positions that could've also used some immediate help (DE, DT, Safety) and aside from Dumervil (who I can honestly say I don't know anything about except that he is small) we didn't get it. Why didn't we? Because first of all we traded picks that could've been used for this to move up in the draft and secondly we drafted a QB with that pick.

Why did we draft Cutler?

I don't like the argument: "Well we are never going to be in a position to draft another top QB again." How the heck does anyone know that?? I sure hope we aren't but how can anyone be so sure? I seem to remember the 49ers being an elite franchise in this league not so long ago. Now it looks like they're 10 years away from even making the playoffs.

I also don't like the argument "You can't pass up on talent like that". Why did the Titans pick Young over him? Why did the Jets pass up on him? Why did Oakland pass up on him?....ETC. You can't say "because they had other needs". So did we.

So why did we draft Cutler? IMO, we are ready to win now. Champ is in his prime, Al is in his prime, Rod is almost gone (his leadership will be greatly missed when he hangs em up), Our OL is getting older (especially Nalen), Lynch is still a killer but he is getting older.......the list goes on and on. We are built to win now.....not when Cutler will be ready.

I do like him and how can you not be excited about his potential?.....but I just don't understand how this was the right move for us to make at this time. I still like it though, just not as much as I would've if we did what I wanted.

Comment

Working...
      X