Trade Lelie for......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Lelie for......

Looking at our roster 2 things really stuck out at me. First the number of Wide Recievers we now have under contract, Smith, Walker, Lelie, Terrell, Adams, Devoe, Watts, Kircus, Marshall, & Hixon. Usally A team carrys 5-6 so lets say 7 at the most and maybe 1 to the practice squad. That means at least 2 of these guys are going to have to go. While Lelie is at least the 3rd most talented of these guys he has a few things working against him. #1 he is not a slot reciever, his talents lend only for him to be able to play on the outside and stretch the field. #2 He has pretty much said he won't play here now that we have aqquired Javon. This to me is the biggest problem with keeping him because if he is serious about not playing here and becoming a free agent next year so he can move on this is exactly how it will go down. He will sit out all the camps & the first nine weeks of the regular season at which time he will report to the Broncos, then we will be allowed by the NFL to place him on the physically unable to perform list for 2 weeks at which time we either have to place him on our roster or release him. Assuming that we put him on our roster at that point it will be after week elevens game. He will then be on the active roster for weeks 12-17 giving him six weeks of service for the 2006 season and under the collective bargaining agreement a player needs six weeks to be credited his year of service, therfore making Lelie a free agent at seasons end and letting him walk for only whatever comp pick we might get awarded from the NFL for him. This is exactley the Dillemma that the Packers were in with Javon and why they were basicly forced to settle for a 2nd round pick for him.

The 2nd thing on our roster that sticks out is the number of running backs on the roster, Dayne, T. Bell, Sapp, M. Bell. Usally we will keep three of these guys around maybe 4. In my opinion there are 2 NFL quality backs on that list. Now since Chicago was trying to trade Thomas Jones to indi before the draft and the colts took their future back in the 1st round it would seem that Chicago would still be needing a trading partner so they can open that spot up for the man they took 4th overall last year in Cedric Benson. I know Chicago could definatly use a WR to go with Mushin Muhammed. I propose that we The Denver Broncos Trade Lelie to the Bears for Thomas Jones Before he creates a circus at Dove Valley and then leaves getting very little in return for him. Thomas Jones could come in and give us three solid running backs, He carries a small contract for the productivity that he has had the last two years & would definatly make me feel alot better about our running back situation heading into the season. I like Lelie and hate to see him go but the writing is on the wall time to trade him while we can get some value for him. :wave:
    sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Originally posted by 24TheCHAMP24
    Looking at our roster 2 things really stuck out at me. First the number of Wide Recievers we now have under contract, Smith, Walker, Lelie, Terrell, Adams, Devoe, Watts, Kircus, Marshall, & Hixon. Usally A team carrys 5-6 so lets say 7 at the most and maybe 1 to the practice squad. That means at least 2 of these guys are going to have to go. While Lelie is at least the 3rd most talented of these guys he has a few things working against him. #1 he is not a slot reciever, his talents lend only for him to be able to play on the outside and stretch the field. #2 He has pretty much said he won't play here now that we have aqquired Javon. This to me is the biggest problem with keeping him because if he is serious about not playing here and becoming a free agent next year so he can move on this is exactly how it will go down. He will sit out all the camps & the first nine weeks of the regular season at which time he will report to the Broncos, then we will be allowed by the NFL to place him on the physically unable to perform list for 2 weeks at which time we either have to place him on our roster or release him. Assuming that we put him on our roster at that point it will be after week elevens game. He will then be on the active roster for weeks 12-17 giving him six weeks of service for the 2006 season and under the collective bargaining agreement a player needs six weeks to be credited his year of service, therfore making Lelie a free agent at seasons end and letting him walk for only whatever comp pick we might get awarded from the NFL for him. This is exactley the Dillemma that the Packers were in with Javon and why they were basicly forced to settle for a 2nd round pick for him.

The 2nd thing on our roster that sticks out is the number of running backs on the roster, Dayne, T. Bell, Sapp, M. Bell. Usally we will keep three of these guys around maybe 4. In my opinion there are 2 NFL quality backs on that list. Now since Chicago was trying to trade Thomas Jones to indi before the draft and the colts took their future back in the 1st round it would seem that Chicago would still be needing a trading partner so they can open that spot up for the man they took 4th overall last year in Cedric Benson. I know Chicago could definatly use a WR to go with Mushin Muhammed. I propose that we The Denver Broncos Trade Lelie to the Bears for Thomas Jones Before he creates a circus at Dove Valley and then leaves getting very little in return for him. Thomas Jones could come in and give us three solid running backs, He carries a small contract for the productivity that he has had the last two years & would definatly make me feel alot better about our running back situation heading into the season. I like Lelie and hate to see him go but the writing is on the wall time to trade him while we can get some value for him. :wave:
    Very nice post and well thought out.
    If we do make that trade then we would have even more RBs on our roster:

Tatum Bell
    Ron Dayne
    Mike Bell
    Thomas Jones
    Cecil Sapp

Then you have the FBs:

Kyle Johnson
    Rashaun-Powers Neal or something like that

I think we could survive very well with just 3 HBs and 2 FBs on our roster, which would mean 2 of these guys have to go. I don't know if it is just me, but I don't think I could chose from that group on who gets to go and it would be taking up too many roster spots if we left them all on the team.

I think Lelie will stay this year and leave during the offseason and we will probably get a 4th rd comp pick for him and use that on a guy who has fallen or a developmental guy.

Well thought out though.
    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Broncos | Lelie fires his agents
      Wed, 3 May 2006 06:40:14 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos WR Ashley Lelie's situation has taken another turn with news he has fired his agents, Michael Sullivan and Doug Hendrickson. It will be his next representation's chore to work out a trade or convince Lelie he would be better served playing out the final year of his contract instead of following through on a holdout threat. The Broncos expectation is that Lelie honors his contract.

Broncos | No running backs drafted; currently three to battle for the job
      Wed, 3 May 2006 06:35:05 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Denver Broncos did not draft a running back in the NFL Draft. They reportedly have added undrafted rookie free agent RB Mike Bell, but the three leading contenders to be the team's starting running back are RBs Ron Dayne, Tatum Bell and Cedric Cobbs. Dayne is the early front-runner for the top job. "I'm happy that we didn't take a first-round running back because that means that player would get his opportunities simply because he's a first-round draft pick," Cobbs said.
      Last edited by ManoRodriquez; 05-03-2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I believe Dayne and Bell will get the carries and Sapp will be on the roster but not dressed most weeks. Similar to Dayne last year.

I think Mike Bell will be on the practice squad. And don't be worried nobody will sign him. I know we have some lovers out here, but the reality is that no team drafted him for 7 rounds. So it is not a risk to throw him out there. I think the kid has some potential but he was undrafted. There is a strong chance he never sees the light of day, in any uniform.

I would like this move. I think we do have room for another back. Sapp could certainly be upgraded. Maybe we would actually dress three half backs next year.

Comment

Why not see if anyone would trade to upgrade the defense since the entire offseason to point has been on offense. We added a pass rusher which I really hope he can translate his skills to even half the sacks and fumbles that he had in college to the NFL. We still could use another safety though since Lynch is getting old and the other side hasn't had any consistency for the past few years. I think it would be nice to see if anyone was willing to give up a decent safety or maybe defensive lineman for Lelie.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
            Why not see if anyone would trade to upgrade the defense since the entire offseason to point has been on offense. We added a pass rusher which I really hope he can translate his skills to even half the sacks and fumbles that he had in college to the NFL. We still could use another safety though since Lynch is getting old and the other side hasn't had any consistency for the past few years. I think it would be nice to see if anyone was willing to give up a decent safety or maybe defensive lineman for Lelie.
            Didn't we resign Brown and Warren? I am not arguing that we should address the defense. Just arguing that our offseason has been more than just offensive.

My point is that a big portion of our offseason was resigning those two guys on our D Line. In fact, Warren was probably our biggest priority (from the current organizations perspective) of the offseason.

Comment

We didn't draft any Safeties probably because other than Lynch, Ferguson and Brandon, we still have Chris Young, Hamza Abdullah, Curome Cox, Brandon Browner and there is also the chance that Paymah will be playing some Safety. .................As far as the Defense line, I would have liked another player in the draft. But we aquired Lang................A project with high hopes in Corey Jackson and we drafted Dumervile. Plus, we still have Ekuban and Engelberger at DE and Demetrin Veal as a backup DT. I would like to see us add another DT this Spring................I wouldn't mind re-signing Fatafehi if he's still around.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                Didn't we resign Brown and Warren? I am not arguing that we should address the defense. Just arguing that our offseason has been more than just offensive.

My point is that a big portion of our offseason was resigning those two guys on our D Line. In fact, Warren was probably our biggest priority (from the current organizations perspective) of the offseason.
                I meant adding new players to the tallent we already had........

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDiver
                  We didn't draft any Safeties probably because other than Lynch, Ferguson and Brandon, we still have Chris Young, Hamza Abdullah, Curome Cox, Brandon Browner and there is also the chance that Paymah will be playing some Safety. .................As far as the Defense line, I would have liked another player in the draft. But we aquired Lang................A project with high hopes in Corey Jackson and we drafted Dumervile. Plus, we still have Ekuban and Engelberger at DE and Demetrin Veal as a backup DT. I would like to see us add another DT this Spring................I wouldn't mind re-signing Fatafehi if he's still around.
                  Isn't Lang like 31 or something. If he is then he really isn't a project because he would be at or past his peak.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
                    Isn't Lang like 31 or something. If he is then he really isn't a project because he would be at or past his peak.
                    he meant corey jackson was the project
                    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
                      he meant corey jackson was the project
                      Oh I see it now. I don't think he will be to much of a project. He obviously has the right teqnique and stuff the only thing I think he will need to do is maybe get stronger. You don't set all of those records and not already know what you are doing especially when you are undersized.

Comment

I know this sounds kind of dumb, but isn't Cecil Sapp the guy we drafted a few yerars ago from Colorado St.?

Is he more of a "I'm going to run over you" type or more of a finess runner.

I would like to see him get the bulk of the carries if he has potential and have Tatum be in the role he was last year.

I guess we'll find out after training camp.
                        Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Trade Lelie to the niners for safety Tony Parrish.

Comment

Hopefully Lelie will play the last year of his contract. What a threesome that would be for us, especially if Scheffler pans out at TE.
                            I say get rid of Sapp and play Bell. Sapp has done nothing for us since we've had him.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Canfield
                              Hopefully Lelie will play the last year of his contract. What a threesome that would be for us, especially if Scheffler pans out at TE.
                              I say get rid of Sapp and play Bell. Sapp has done nothing for us since we've had him.
                              Wrong buddy, Sapp is a back-up at both the HB and FB positions. He's run productively when he's been in, even though it was when all the back-ups for Denver were in the game. His versatility will keep him around here for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X