Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumervil

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...663705,00.html

PLAN OF ATTACK: The Broncos got the NCAA Division I leader in sacks (20) and forced fumbles (10) with the addition of fourth-round pick Elvis Dumervil of Louisville.

But while Dumervil fancies himself a defensive end, Denver eventually might experiment with the 5-foot-11, 258-pounder at either tackle spot, provided he makes significant weight gains.

"We think he's a player that can play both outside and inside," coach Mike Shanahan said.
    sigpic
    PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
    You Shed Tears of Scarlet

5-11 DT??? Please no...

We need OUTSIDE pass rush, not INSIDE pass rush.

Comment

This is an interesting outskirt form a Jay Cutler article. Maybe Pryce wasn't just crying for no reason. We're going to have a good pass rusher bulk up and try to play defenisive tackle. Maybe he'd work as an undertackle on obvious passing downs, but how would he hold up as a clogger?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vicious2500
        This is an interesting outskirt form a Jay Cutler article. Maybe Pryce wasn't just crying for no reason. We're going to have a good pass rusher bulk up and try to play defenisive tackle. Maybe he'd work as an undertackle on obvious passing downs, but how would he hold up as a clogger?
        He wouldn't. I think that's one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while (not what you're saying, but the idea of fattening him up to play DT). Perhaps this writer misinterpreted Shanahan's quote, because I don't see the value in taking one of your only pure pass rushers and turning him into a 5-11 DT. That's ridiculous.

He does have very good strength as is, perhaps they're thinking of him playing some UT on OBVIOUS passing downs.

Or, maybe this is pure coachspeak bs and/or a Shanahan brainfart...

Comment

Ridiculous idea. If they wanted a DT, they should have drafted one of the many good ones who were still available on the second day.

Dumervil doesn't have much more room for physical growth. He already has a beer belly, so the only way he is going to get bigger is if he burns off the fat first, which means getting smaller. It's a process that will take forever and in all likelihood fail. His waist appears too thin to begin with, anyway.

Also, he's not strong enough, nor does he have the stamina to put up with the constant beating that a 3-technique would have to endure.

No way. Leave him at DE. Let him do what he does best.
          A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
            Ridiculous idea. If they wanted a DT, they should have drafted one of the many good ones who were still available on the second day.

Dumervil doesn't have much more room for physical growth. He already has a beer belly, so the only way he is going to get bigger is if he burns off the fat first, which means getting smaller. It's a process that will take forever and in all likelihood fail. His waist appears too thin to begin with, anyway.

Also, he's not strong enough, nor does he have the stamina to put up with the constant beating that a 3-technique would have to endure.

No way. Leave him at DE. Let him do what he does best.
            Hopefully he does get that fat off. Some added quickness (or stamina, because we're going to need as much PT from our pass rushers as we can get) wouldn't hurt one bit...

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
              He wouldn't. I think that's one of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while (not what you're saying, but the idea of fattening him up to play DT). Perhaps this writer misinterpreted Shanahan's quote, because I don't see the value in taking one of your only pure pass rushers and turning him into a 5-11 DT. That's ridiculous.

He does have very good strength as is, perhaps they're thinking of him playing some UT on OBVIOUS passing downs.

Or, maybe this is pure coachspeak bs and/or a Shanahan brainfart...
              Unless he's only going to play there on obvious passing downs I think its rather stupid, but even doing that is kind of dumb. Why put one of your best pass rushers at DT where he'll have to engage blockers when he can run around them?
              sigpic

Comment

5-11 DT??? Please no...

We need OUTSIDE pass rush, not INSIDE pass rush.
                I think Mike Patterson is only 5' 11" inches.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                  I think Mike Patterson is only 5' 11" inches.
                  Ehhhh, I don't know about that. He's short, but I don't think he's that short.

Actually, his listed height is 6-0', so maybe he is a bit shorter...

Comment

I think Dumervil is best suited as a pass rusher and that should be his role this year, a situational pass rusher and sooner or later maybe even possibly a starter. I'm really glad we got this guy in rd 4 and I think he can be a big time contributer and play some good football for us.
                    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Dumervil may be just under 6 feet tall, but he's got a massive wing span, and the bottom line is, the man knows how to rush the passer.

He's strong, he's got quick feet and knows how to use leverage.

His height is something he will have to overcome.

That being said, he was given the awards for the Defensive Player of the year (Nagurski Award), and the Defensive End of the year (Hendrickson Award).

And he led the Nation in Sacks.

So I wouldn't write him off just yet. The Broncos will find a place for him, and he will be effective.
                      God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious2500
                        Well, as I said pre-draft, I'd rather they had addressed the DT position, over the DE position.

Mainly because a DE can get pushed outside further than where he already is.....and isn't in the QB's 'radar field'...

...versus a DT, who's coming straight at the QB, who's more likely to see him coming and have to either avoid him or throw before he's ready.

As for your last sentence, vicious, Sunny and Coyer both have said that they're going to address some changes in the defensive scheme, this year. They're going to start looking to see who can make plays on their own.....instead of just being cloggers.

In other words, their 1st priority won't be to stop the rush......
                        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Ehhhh, I don't know about that. He's short, but I don't think he's that short.

Actually, his listed height is 6-0', so maybe he is a bit shorter...
                          Coming into the draft last year he was listed at 5'11", although it really isn't that much of a difference.
                          "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsOwnU
                            Dumervil may be just under 6 feet tall, but he's got a massive wing span, and the bottom line is, the man knows how to rush the passer.

He's strong, he's got quick feet and knows how to use leverage.

His height is something he will have to overcome.

That being said, he was given the awards for the Defensive Player of the year (Nagurski Award), and the Defensive End of the year (Hendrickson Award).

And he led the Nation in Sacks.

So I wouldn't write him off just yet. The Broncos will find a place for him, and he will be effective.
                            He was man-handled at the senior bowl and was a complete non-factor. I don't know whether he will be good or not but he didn't play against the best competition at Louisville, and he had zero sacks in the last 4 games of 2005.
                            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                              He was man-handled at the senior bowl and was a complete non-factor. I don't know whether he will be good or not but he didn't play against the best competition at Louisville, and he had zero sacks in the last 4 games of 2005.
                              From what I read, he was injured the last few games of the season, don't know about the Senior Bowl though.
                              God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X