Who's the starting TE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, who's voting for Wesley Duke?

This ain't John Madden Football for playstation.

Comment

Nate, because he has speed, hands, and a year under his belt to learn how to block, and get used to playing at a heavier weight. SA is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncomilehigh
        Nate, because he has speed, hands, and a year under his belt to learn how to block, and get used to playing at a heavier weight. SA is gone.

welcome to the board!

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
          Alright, who's voting for Wesley Duke?

This ain't John Madden Football for playstation.

Your right it isn't. That doesn't mean Duke can't play.
          "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

I say Denver makes a new offensive style with a 3 TE set and puts all three TEs in the game.
            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Eric Johnson!!! LELIE FOR JOHNSON NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                Your right it isn't. That doesn't mean Duke can't play.

Duke hasn't shown he can play either. He also hasn't shown that he can standout out in NFLEurope, where 99.9% of those players can't even make an NFL final cut.

IMHO, the Scheffler pick will signal an end to Duke in Denver. Denver has the young recieving TE they need, and they will bring him along as fast as they can, which means Duke is easily expendable.

Denver won't go with both Scheffler and Duke, because neither one of the guys can block very well.

I really think Duke will be cut this fall.

Comment

Duke hasn't shown he can play either. He also hasn't shown that he can standout out in NFLEurope, where 99.9% of those players can't even make an NFL final cut.

IMHO, the Scheffler pick will signal an end to Duke in Denver. Denver has the young recieving TE they need, and they will bring him along as fast as they can, which means Duke is easily expendable.

Denver won't go with both Scheffler and Duke, because neither one of the guys can block very well.

I really think Duke will be cut this fall.
                  Duke has shown that he can play. Just because he isn't throwing up a ton of stats doesn't mean he is bad. For the offense he is in, he isn't doing bad at all. BTW Scheffler hasn't shown he can play at this level either.

Besides if you want to play that card. Jake Delhome was a backup QB in NFL Europe. How is he doing now?

Prove that Duke can't block that well. I don't see that at all.

Duke may not be the next Gates, but I think you give him too little credit.

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                    Duke has shown that he can play. Just because he isn't throwing up a ton of stats doesn't mean he is bad. For the offense he is in, he isn't doing bad at all. BTW Scheffler hasn't shown he can play at this level either.

Besides if you want to play that card. Jake Delhome was a backup QB in NFL Europe. How is he doing now?

Prove that Duke can't block that well. I don't see that at all.

Duke may not be the next Gates, but I think you give him too little credit.
                    Ok, I need to watch how I state things. I don't think Duke would be a bad TE if he keeps progressing. And he's not a completely terrible blocker either. But the drafting of Scheffler and his opposed ability in the receiving game, his progression will hinder Duke's.

If Duke doesn't beat him out in fall camp, he will likely be cut, or inactive most of the weeks (I believe), because he won't beat out Alexander because of contrasting styles.

If Lelie stays (and maybe if he goes consdiering the young pool of wr talent), Denver will have more wide open sets that will only keep 1 TE on the field.

The reason why I don't see Duke as apart of Denver's plans, he's still a very raw project that needs work. Work he probably won't get to focus on as much because of the addition of Scheffler.

I don't believe Denver will sacrifice Scheffler, or plays/drives in games, just to work Duke in so he can get experience.

He either needs to be ready this fall camp, or he will be set another year away from gametime. And if Scheffler breaks out and shows he can be an impact in the recieving game, Duke will never be anything more then a 3 TE set in Denver, which looks like they are getting away from, and trying to open it up.

Just my opinion.

And I'm still wondering why people want to compare him to Gates.

The only thing they really have in common is they were both basketball players that are trying to make the switch to TE in the NFL. Gates has done that, Duke hasn't even come close.

Comment

well, we carried four TEs last year, so it's not impossible that we could carry four this year. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                        well, we carried four TEs last year, so it's not impossible that we could carry four this year. . . .

Good point, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Shanahan kept Duke.

But the only way a player gets experience is in the games, and at this point I just don't see any plays for Duke in a game.

Comment

Ok, I need to watch how I state things. I don't think Duke would be a bad TE if he keeps progressing. And he's not a completely terrible blocker either. But the drafting of Scheffler and his opposed ability in the receiving game, his progression will hinder Duke's.

If Duke doesn't beat him out in fall camp, he will likely be cut, or inactive most of the weeks (I believe), because he won't beat out Alexander because of contrasting styles.

If Lelie stays (and maybe if he goes consdiering the young pool of wr talent), Denver will have more wide open sets that will only keep 1 TE on the field.

The reason why I don't see Duke as apart of Denver's plans, he's still a very raw project that needs work. Work he probably won't get to focus on as much because of the addition of Scheffler.

I don't believe Denver will sacrifice Scheffler, or plays/drives in games, just to work Duke in so he can get experience.

He either needs to be ready this fall camp, or he will be set another year away from gametime. And if Scheffler breaks out and shows he can be an impact in the recieving game, Duke will never be anything more then a 3 TE set in Denver, which looks like they are getting away from, and trying to open it up.

Just my opinion.

And I'm still wondering why people want to compare him to Gates.

The only thing they really have in common is they were both basketball players that are trying to make the switch to TE in the NFL. Gates has done that, Duke hasn't even come close.
                          I see where you are coming from now.

I think Duke will have enough to stay on the roster. I hope he turns out to be a solid TE because I can see he has the skills to do it. It is a matter of how he uses them.

Comment

for this season though, its hard to see scheffler coming in and having a huge impact. i can see him being worked in with limited plays, but its a stretch to expect him to be a major contributor as a rookie.

not only is he a rookie, but hes coming from a small college and a less competitive conference. that means he wasnt even playing the top college defenses last year. that means his adjustment to the pros is going to take that much longer.

and the fact that all reports i have seen on him (never seen him play, so all i have to go by is what the 'experts' say), is that he needs work on his blocking. i really doubt he is going to master the playbook and get his blocking up to the level shanny demands in one training camp. i think this year he will see some action, but later in the season and only a select number of plays.

i think duke is a lock to make the team. i really do. he obviously impressed the coaches last year, and from posters like loyal soldier who have watched dukes nfle games, he seems to be doing a good job blocking. his recieving stats over there are just gravy. the important thing is he is getting practise time and live action work on his blocking. he probably wont ever become the next gates, but from what i have seen and heard to date, i expect him to be a solid contributor for years to come. time will tell though.

if shanny doesnt go with 4 TEs this year, i really believe its going to come down to alexander or nate for the last spot (not considering leach a TE for this discussion). unfortunately for nate, i think the only way alexander gets cut is if duke proves in camp and pre-season that he can be a consitant blocker. and even if that happens, nate would still have to outplay alexander.

even though alexander is our only 'proven' commodity at the position, he has proven he is only average. i think all three of the other guys have a much higher ceiling at this point. if duke shows he can block well, and nate stays healthy and continues to make tough catches in traffic, i think shanny would look long and hard at keeping the 3 youngsters. its a bit of a long shot, but i wouldnt be shocked if it happened.
                            "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by bcbronc

even though alexander is our only 'proven' commodity at the position, he has proven he is only average.

Comment

Originally posted by ElwaystillKing
                                Eric Johnson!!! LELIE FOR JOHNSON NOW!!!
                                There was a recent story where Johnson said he was very content with his situation, and that San Fran would run a lot of 2 TE sets...

Comment

Working...
                                X