Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has this draft created false expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this draft created false expectations?

The following article is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

Draft buzz creates false expectations

Joe E Cervi link

Depending on which draftnik you believe, Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan is either a bona fide genius or incredibly stupid.

And you can make a case for either.

The Broncos (read: Shanahan) selected Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler with their first pick in the 2006 draft. And they traded up to get him. Vanderbilt football is about as exciting to watch as square dancing. "Vandy Football" T-shirts are as popular as those saying "Free Moussaoui!"

Yes, Cutler has the tools needed to be a good quarterback - arm strength, mobility, football savvy. But he started all 45 games that he played in at Vanderbilt - and won exactly 11 - at a school known more for alumni Al Gore and Amy Grant than football.

Shanahan said Cutler was a cut above and just too good to pass up.

He might be right; we simply don't know. But my ears are bleeding from listening to the debate.

These so-called experts live for this time of year. They claim to know so much, when, in reality, they know as much as you and me. We can read stats and stories and make semi-informed decisions. The problem with these people is they never shut up. They talk ad nauseam, often disagreeing with themselves.

Ironically, only one player - Cutler - was selected from that football factory Vandy. He was the most-talented Commodore. Then again, so was Lionel Richie.

Broncos starting quarterback Jake Plummer led the team to a 13-3 record last year and a spot in the AFC Championship game. Heck, he was a Pro Bowler, not a pro bowler, and it appeared Plummer was finally understanding the Broncos' complicated offense.

The one need the Broncos didn't have to address in the draft (according to the experts) was under center. That's Mike Shanahan personified.

No one should question Shanahan's ability to win football games. He is 122-62 with a pair of Super Bowl rings in the last 11 years. His draft success, however, is suspect - as is the draft success of all NFL head coaches and general managers. This process is much a crap shoot as the $100 table in Las Vegas.

Because cable television and talk radio choose to preview the draft for a full month, and take even more time to dissect it, the draft is a monster growing out of control.

It's absurd someone would have draft information on tight end Marques Colston of Hofstra. And it's even more absurd that the Steelers drafted Colston in the seventh round.

Then again, they are the world champions so it's hard to question their motives.

Of the 255 players selected this year, only one was named Elvis. And Shanahan got him, too. That would be Louisville defensive end Elvis Dumervil, an undersized (5-11, 270 pounds) player with a game played at full-tilt.

Few players make an immediate impact in their first year. NFL systems, on both sides of the ball, are more complicated than any class these players took in college. And Chris Cocong, a third-round draft pick by the Eagles, went to Cal-Poly.

Jay Cutler will be Jay Clipboard for at least a year - maybe longer. He will need time to learn the lingo, the playbook and the streets of Denver. Hard to say which will be more difficult.

The intrigue is how this story will play out. We can speculate all we want.

Cutler could be the next John Elway. Or he could be the next Jarious Jackson. Only time - not those know-it-alls who fill the airways this time of year - will tell.

The best news about this draft is that it's over.

So what's your take?

Shanny the "bona fide genius" or Shanny "the silly goose" as someone else said here?

Cutler may prove to be a good pick for Denver. Denver had to draft and prepare a QB at some time or another. However, I don't think he'll will play in 2006 or even 2007. That's because I look for Jake Plummer to get the Denver Broncos to the Super Bowl. And hopefully win the Super Bowl.

Jay has the tools to be a good QB. No matter who a team drafts you would hope they had a history of winning. It is true that Jay Cutler does not. Playing for Vanderbilt he only won 11 games out of starting 45.

Shanahan's expectations for 2007 is probably to have some of his lower round guys make immediate impact, but I believe his expectations for Cutler is too learn the offense, offensive jargon, and get use to the entire offense system.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

judging from alot of posts i have seen on here, only the fans have false expectations. I hear alot of harping on BVP when he only has one season under his belt. Think of what would happen if we had drafted alex smith? Fans would want him tossed of the roster.

So my question to everyone that thinks cutler should start this year is this:

name a couple of qb's that have played in their first year that have done terrifically?

i bet one of the first answers would be big ben. If this is the case I say false. His first year as starter was incredibly limited. 75% of the time he handed the ball to his running backs.
      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

BVP is in his 3rd year.
        Big Ben went 15-2 any way you slice it that is a great season.
        Wasn't Tom Brady a Rookie??
        http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Dan Marino went to the Super Bowl his first year.

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation
            judging from alot of posts i have seen on here, only the fans have false expectations. I hear alot of harping on BVP when he only has one season under his belt. Think of what would happen if we had drafted alex smith? Fans would want him tossed of the roster.

name a couple of qb's that have played in their first year that have done terrifically?

i bet one of the first answers would be big ben. If this is the case I say false. His first year as starter was incredibly limited. 75% of the time he handed the ball to his running backs.
            Why does it matter? The guy still went 15-1 during the regular season and had the guts to keep tryin even though he wasn't doing well in the playoffs. He still led them to the AFC Championship game and that is quite an acomplishment.
            Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
              BVP is in his 3rd year.
              Big Ben went 15-2 any way you slice it that is a great season.
              Wasn't Tom Brady a Rookie??

BVP first year is NOW currently in his 3rd year. His first year he didnt take a snap. Last was his only experience PLAYING qb in the regular season.

ben didnt go 15-2, the steelers went 15-1 and it is widely known that the steelers babysat him through the season unlike last year. Cowher said this before the start of last year "the training wheels are off now"

Brady: rookie season

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
              2000 NE 1 0 3 1 33.3 6 2.00 6 0 0 0/0 0 0 42.4

Marino:

After two earlier relief appearances, Marino became the Dolphins starter in the sixth week of his rookie season. He immediately took charge of the Dolphins' offense and guided the team to a 12-4 record and the AFC East title
              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBuckeye
                Why does it matter? The guy still went 15-1 during the regular season and had the guts to keep tryin even though he wasn't doing well in the playoffs. He still led them to the AFC Championship game and that is quite an acomplishment.

my point is that you can only name one or two that have done very well in their first year. No one expected that ben would do that well his rookie season. And even Bill said that the "training wheels are off" after that season. Im not knocking bens play or what they accomplished.

dont turn this into something its not. My point is that most 1st round qb's are expected to do things in a very short time. BVP has PLAYED in one season, which isnt near enough experience to be a great qb in the NFL especially when his snaps were very limited. Most people have already written him off even though he is still in the "developmental" stage of his career.

So what happens if cutler comes into a game this year and struggles? Is everyone gonna be pissed and say that he wont become an accomplished qb?
                Last edited by armedequation; 05-07-2006, 09:14 AM.
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

One good thing....

Neither BVP or Cutler have to please the critical fan, just the coaches. It is really funny to see some people post their absolute "facts" that one player or another will do well or fall on their face. Opinions are free, but ill-concieved opinions make little sense.

Comment

my point is that you can only name one or two that have done very well in their first year. No one expected that ben would do that well his rookie season. And even Bill said that the "training wheels are off" after that season. Im not knocking bens play or what they accomplished.

dont turn this into something its not. My point is that most 1st round qb's are expected to do things in a very short time. BVP has PLAYED in one season, which isnt near enough experience to be a great qb in the NFL especially when his snaps were very limited. Most people have already written him off even though he is still in the "developmental" stage of his career.

So what happens if cutler comes into a game this year and struggles? Is everyone gonna be pissed and say that he wont become an accomplished qb?
                    I guess I just miss understood you.
                    My bad.

You are right about BVP still in the developmental stage, but you can't keep ignoring the QB problem because how long are you going to give him. The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league.

Oh, well. We'll see what happens.
                    Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

How in the world can you compare a seventh round afterthought to the number one overall pick of 2005??? Surely you aren't that dense...

As for the article, I think it smacks of smugness, and its way too easy to take that approach to the draft.

One thing you cannot deny is that good teams win through the draft, and that whether or not Cutler or any first rounder turns out to be as good as expected, the event shouldn't hold any less relevance. For every Tom Brady, there is about 50 second day quarterbacks that don't amount to anything. For every Peyton Manning, there are about only five quarterbacks that don't become solid starters from the first round. 5:1, 50:1...

I just don't see what point this article tries to make? That occasionally, high picks don't turn out to be what was expected of them? Wow, I never realized that GMs couldn't see into the future. May tomorrow that writer can print a big expose about the sun setting in the west, and not the east...

Comment

Bona Fide Genius

Comment

i didnt read it cuz it was so long!!! lol
                          "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                            How in the world can you compare a seventh round afterthought to the number one overall pick of 2005??? Surely you aren't that dense...

As for the article, I think it smacks of smugness, and its way too easy to take that approach to the draft.

One thing you cannot deny is that good teams win through the draft, and that whether or not Cutler or any first rounder turns out to be as good as expected, the event shouldn't hold any less relevance. For every Tom Brady, there is about 50 second day quarterbacks that don't amount to anything. For every Peyton Manning, there are about only five quarterbacks that don't become solid starters from the first round. 5:1, 50:1...

I just don't see what point this article tries to make? That occasionally, high picks don't turn out to be what was expected of them? Wow, I never realized that GMs couldn't see into the future. May tomorrow that writer can print a big expose about the sun setting in the west, and not the east...
                            Quoted for truth.

Player turnover is so high nowadays, it's imperative that teams draft well. It's the only way to beat a system designed to keep teams from keeping their own players.

I would be tremendously disappointed if Cutler doesen't work out here. He's got Shanahan, a great running game, a good offensive line, a coach determined to go out and get weapons this year for him (Marshall, Walker, Scheffler who should all be seasoned by the time Cutler is given the reigns to this offense), a good defense etc... etc...

Cutler was drafted by a 13-3 team with a coach that puts consistently competitive teams out on the field year after year. He wasen't drafted by a perrenial bottomfeeder with an unproven coaching staff. When you consider all of his strong points matched up to the environment he'll be in; I have every right to be optimistic about his chances here. :wave:
                            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

nice way to respond to a good post, im glad your post got better after this.

i never compared BVP to alex, so im not sure where your getting that. Smith was used as an example. What i was saying is that the expectations are much higher for a first round naturally but i think alot of fans expectations are way too high with too short of a time table for production. I can bet you san fran fans had their head low and were very critical of the way smith played last year.

all I'm saying is that people need to have some patience with developing players. Im not talking about coaches but rather fans.
                              Last edited by armedequation; 05-08-2006, 01:56 AM.
                              Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Working...
                              X