Who were the draft's hits and misses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who were the draft's hits and misses?

The following article picks out a few hits and misses from this year's draft.

Do you agree with those picks?

Who would you regard as the peach picks and who were the rotten eggs?

Miss No. 1

The Texans should not have passed on Reggie Bush. They may have acquired a premier pass rusher in Mario Williams, and pass rusher is second to quarterback as most important position in today's game. But whether it was sign-ability or the nonsense surrounding the Bush household in Los Angeles, Houston erred by not grabbing a rare player who can turn around a game with one brilliant cut.

Hit No. 1

Things couldn't have worked out better for Katrina-ravaged New Orleans than adding a marquee name to its football team. The Saints were smart enough to recognize a windfall when it fell into their laps, and did the right thing by shunning trades and holding onto the dynamic Bush.

Hit No. 2

No one could blame the Jets for looking into a deal for Bush, but many could have blamed them for drafting his Southern California teammate, Matt Leinart. Hollywood doesn't have a team yet, so the metropolitan area would have been the absolute worst home for the star-stricken quarterback. D'Brickashaw Ferguson may seem like a safe pick, but he's also a smart pick.

Miss No. 2

Donte Whitner? Now the Ohio State safety may turn into a good player for Buffalo. But in the eighth slot? The Bills could have traded down at least to No. 14 with the Eagles (who got Brodrick Bunkley there anyway) and still tabbed Whitner (see Miss No. 3).

Hit No. 3

Leinart was not right for this area; he's perfect for Arizona. The Cardinals have sold out their new stadium with the additions of Edgerrin James and Leinart, who will be groomed by Kurt Warner. And Warner, an all-time Mr. Nice Guy, promises to help Leinart more than he did Eli Manning, because he's more familiar with the Cardinals' offense than he was with the Giants' in 2004.

Miss No. 3

Buffalo again. Instead of getting extra picks while dropping down for Whitner, the Bills gave up a No. 3 to move into the bottom of the first round to take defensive tackle John McCargo, a questionable run-stopper. The draft is for getting the most out of it you can -- and the Bills definitely didn't.

link
    Last edited by Jaws; 05-08-2006, 03:31 AM.

*Yawn*

Rehashing of common opinions that we've heard time and again since the draft.

Personally, I think that grabbing Mario Williams was the best thing for Houston. First off, they have Gary Kubiak as their coach and we've all seen what that system can do with running backs. Besides that, running backs tend to not last all that long in the league and Reggie Bush may not get tons of touches.

Now, where I think that Houston went wrong was not trading back. They could have traded back with minimal compensation and still came out ahead. They would have got the same player and would have been able to save some good money. The first couple of picks are always WAY overpaid.

I agree with a post by bc that the points value chart is screwed up royally at the top of the draft and is in fact completely useless.

As for New Orleans, I wonder if they shouldn't have accepted the Jets' offer even if it was meager. I mean, they would have still picked up a damn good player and paid less. And what is also important is that they didn't need a running back. Deuce McAllister is still with them and if he comes back from his injury... Well, I just think it was questionable. That's all. By moving back they could address a position of need for a better price.

I don't think it was a horrible move by any means. Bush may warrant just biting the bullet and taking him, but I don't think it was a solid hit.

I agree with the others, but again, he didn't present anything close to an original thought.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
      *Yawn*

Rehashing of common opinions that we've heard time and again since the draft.

Personally, I think that grabbing Mario Williams was the best thing for Houston. First off, they have Gary Kubiak as their coach and we've all seen what that system can do with running backs. Besides that, running backs tend to not last all that long in the league and Reggie Bush may not get tons of touches.

Now, where I think that Houston went wrong was not trading back. They could have traded back with minimal compensation and still came out ahead. They would have got the same player and would have been able to save some good money. The first couple of picks are always WAY overpaid.

I agree with a post by bc that the points value chart is screwed up royally at the top of the draft and is in fact completely useless.

As for New Orleans, I wonder if they shouldn't have accepted the Jets' offer even if it was meager. I mean, they would have still picked up a damn good player and paid less. And what is also important is that they didn't need a running back. Deuce McAllister is still with them and if he comes back from his injury... Well, I just think it was questionable. That's all. By moving back they could address a position of need for a better price.

I don't think it was a horrible move by any means. Bush may warrant just biting the bullet and taking him, but I don't think it was a solid hit.

I agree with the others, but again, he didn't present anything close to an original thought.

Where the Texans went wrong was in NOT trading back with ANYONE! NO, TENN or NYJ. The Jets would have been most likely and even if they took a hit on "points value", they could have had D'Brick and been WAY better off.

Even if they had taken a 2nd rounder (in addition to #4), they would have gotten a player of extreme need, saved money, and had an addtional very high 2nd round pick.

The more I see about them picking Mario, the more I hate it. He played with 2 other 1st round D-Lineman, which for me raises flags.

Oh well... whatcha' gonna do... at least Kubes will have a better one next year, it couldn't get much worse as far as I am concerned.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

There is no need for an analyst to do an article like this. This sort of thing is all speculation. You will never find out a 'hit' or a 'miss' until they actually play on the field.

Comment

i'd have to aggree houston would have benefitted from trading back.. witht he talent on the board still. and the strong second rounders this year they could have nabbed antother player almsot back to back
          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
          While he sits by his hearth at home.
          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
          That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

What I think. I think people get so hyped in copy and paste mock drafts and kipers voice before draft and don't see the actual value of a person and to the team.

Like why did Bills get Whitner...

Because he is better then Bunkley and Ngata and they didn't need a QB.. so they went with BPA.

People say thats a miss and a reach but him huff and Allen were all top 15 tier safteys coming from a former saftey.

Texans could only move back to NO to get there man.. they couldnt do it with jets or NO would have got Mario. So its not a bad move.

Tennesee got Young not because he is the absolute best QB but they felt he would fit there system better then other QBs same with leinart in Arizona.

I thought Jets and raiders were going to snatch up Cutler... I am so glad he fell to 11.

I believe jets just went safe route because they sceerrrd

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris
              What I think. I think people get so hyped in copy and paste mock drafts and kipers voice before draft and don't see the actual value of a person and to the team.

Because he is better then Bunkley and Ngata and they didn't need a QB.. so they went with BPA.

People say thats a miss and a reach but him huff and Allen were all top 15 tier safteys coming from a former saftey.

Texans could only move back to NO to get there man.. they couldnt do it with jets or NO would have got Mario. So its not a bad move.

Tennesee got Young not because he is the absolute best QB but they felt he would fit there system better then other QBs same with leinart in Arizona.

I thought Jets and raiders were going to snatch up Cutler... I am so glad he fell to 11.

Even if the Jets did play it safe they significantly improved there offensive line with D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in the first round. Games are won in the trenches and they just solidified a big weakness on there team.
              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris

I don't think they were scared, it was a matter or being practical. They lost two of their starting O-lineman and Ferguson was considered the best OT in the draft.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                X