Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else think too much stock is put into what round someone was drafted in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else think too much stock is put into what round someone was drafted in?

Every draft I keep saying that "Man a lot of these first round guys can't make it."

I did research on the superbowl MVPs of the last 10 years and I noticed there were only two first round selections. In fact there were more people taken in the 6th round or not even drafted than high round picks.

Do you think the round someone goes in is overrated?
    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Though that chart doesn't show the skill level of those starters.
    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

actually yes, i do, i made a post earlier on this, ill post it again
      http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...34#post1044934

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
        Though that chart doesn't show the skill level of those starters.
        Yes, but like somebody else on here said it comes to a good average where most of the starters in the league are good players. Unless you are just starting on a crappy team you have probably deserved that starting job by being a good player.
        "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

those are some very good arguments and it goes either way, i am more that to much stock does go into the round they are drafted, and that often times the late round guys work out is not that they dont have the skill level. (now some just pure and simple dont), but most of the GOOD late round guys, are late round imo because they played for crappy teams, even though they put up respectable numbers they werent as good because the team sucked. But that is how you find the good ones, if they can still produce with crappy lines, recievers, qb's etc. then chances are they have the talent of maybe a 1st rounder they just dont have the hype or nuumbers to boost them that far.

thats why i like cutler so much because i thnk he had a crappy almost everything and still put up some pretty stats.
          So far:
          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
            Yes, but like somebody else on here said it comes to a good average where most of the starters in the league are good players. Unless you are just starting on a crappy team you have probably deserved that starting job by being a good player.
            Yea there are starters, but some aren't all that. I mean Lelie was a starting WR, but he isn't the next coming of Jerry Rice.

All the past 10 superbowl MVPs have mostly been drafted in late rounds.

Comment

1ST round picks get a better chance to make the starting lineup and have success simply because they are high profile and getting paid alot so the coaches will try to get them on the field, its more of a struggle for the later round guys to get a shot at a starting vets job.
              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman
                1ST round picks get a better chance to make the starting lineup and have success simply because they are high profile and getting paid alot so the coaches will try to get them on the field, its more of a struggle for the later round guys to get a shot at a starting vets job.
                Willie Middlebrooks is a good example of that. We kept him, what, 4 years? Just because he was a 1st round pick with "potential".

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                  Yea there are starters, but some aren't all that. I mean Lelie was a starting WR, but he isn't the next coming of Jerry Rice.

All the past 10 superbowl MVPs have mostly been drafted in late rounds.
                  That's a good point. Later round draft choices that pan out are more valuable because they cost less to the salary cap.

Still, early round picks are very much more likely to pan out than later round picks.

And the picks at the very top of the draft are way overrated just because they get paid so ridiculously well without having to prove anything.
                  My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                  . Post Your Artwork .
                  . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

I think the thing about later round picks is that they aren't handed anything. They know they have to work hard to make it. A lot of first rounds can be lazy because they had a lot handed to them.

Comment

I think Rod Smith, Tom Brady, and others answer your question. Too much stock is put in round drafted. They aren't proven so they should have little to no stock.
                      MMA News
                      MMA News 247

Comment

First day picks = imediate impacts

That doesnt mean the 7th round picks wont be the best player down the line.

SO yes too much is put into the round they are taken in, but not enough stock is put into who and what teams with a certain need pass on that need.

AKA, everyone passing on LenDale White, even teams needing RBs.
                        Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Working...
                        X