Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you say "the '74 draft all over again"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you say "the '74 draft all over again"?

now, i know im jumping into the distant future a little quick but, i cant help but be extremely excited after watching the Broncos 2006 draft.

if you guys dont understand what i am talking about when i say the '74 draft all over again, Im talking about the greatest draft by one team of all time...the Pittsburgh Steelers. In that draft, 4 of the players they drafted eventually wound up in the Hall of Fame. those four were:
    1.Jack Lambert
    2.Mike Webster
    3.Lynn Swann
    4.John Stallworth

those are really great players and i dont want to take anything away from what they did in the NFL but i cant help to think that Broncos got just as good of a steal in their 2006 draft as those 1974 Steelers did. my top four prospects that have a chance to at least be half as good as those 4 steelers would have to be:
    1. Jay Cutler
    2. Tony Scheffler
    3. Brandon Marshall
    4. Greg Eslinger

they might not sound like any future greats but hey, im sure Lambert wasnt believed to be as great as he ended up being either. How many of you all can agree with this belief? If im by myself on this one, then thats fine by me.
    The Orange Crush will rise again!

Originally posted by Browncofan87
    now, i know im jumping into the distant future a little quick but, i cant help but be extremely excited after watching the Broncos 2006 draft.

if you guys dont understand what i am talking about when i say the '74 draft all over again, Im talking about the greatest draft by one team of all time...the Pittsburgh Steelers. In that draft, 4 of the players they drafted eventually wound up in the Hall of Fame. those four were:
    1.Jack Lambert
    2.Mike Webster
    3.Lynn Swann
    4.John Stallworth

those are really great players and i dont want to take anything away from what they did in the NFL but i cant help to think that Broncos got just as good of a steal in their 2006 draft as those 1974 Steelers did. my top four prospects that have a chance to at least be half as good as those 4 steelers would have to be:
    1. Jay Cutler
    2. Tony Scheffler
    3. Brandon Marshall
    4. Greg Eslinger

they might not sound like any future greats but hey, im sure Lambert wasnt believed to be as great as he ended up being either. How many of you all can agree with this belief? If im by myself on this one, then thats fine by me.
    It would be awesome if those 4 players were even full time starters for more than a couple years. If they all turned out to be hall of famers or near hall of famers and this draft rivaled that of the 1974 Steelers I would be shocked.

I think that out of that list Eslinger and Cutler have the best chance to have lengthy productive careers.

Scheffler has a chance to become a good starter for us, but I doubt he'll make it into the hall of fame or even come close, he would have to have a career that rivals Sharpe's.

If Marshall contributes at all in the next few years that will make me very happy, but I dont have lofty expectations for him or anyone else really, but if anyone has HOF potential on that list I would say it's Cutler.

Comment

Its way to earlier to tell. You're looking back at the'74 draft in retrospect knowing how those four all became Hall of Famers. We don't know how our guys are going to do they haven't even put on uniform. However here's to four hopefully long and distinguished careers.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

It would be great if it were to happen.

But I just don't see it . . .

-----

Comment

1.Jack Lambert
          2.Mike Webster
          3.Lynn Swann
          4.John Stallworth

1. Jay Cutler
          2. Tony Scheffler
          3. Brandon Marshall
          4. Greg Eslinger

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

I know i hardly see it either, but thats because with the way free agency is... back in the 70's the players on a team were on that same team for the majority of their careers, giving them the oppurtunity to master their playbooks and focus more on the fundamentals. this day and age, the players are moving around so much, they are to busy learning the plays for their new teams and have no time to master the basics. i think if those 4 newly aquired broncos play their whole career in Denver or even the majority of their career in Denver, they have a good shot at being pro bowl caliber players. i dont think anyone thought that Lambert, Webster, Stallworth, and Swann were gonna be in the HoF coming out of the draft.. hopefully these new broncos have at least a RoF career and that i have the oppurtunity to watch them become a big success story.

Comment

1.Jack Lambert
              2.Mike Webster
              3.Lynn Swann
              4.John Stallworth

1. Jay Cutler
              2. Tony Scheffler
              3. Brandon Marshall
              4. Greg Eslinger

...no, not really...
              sigpic

Comment

1.Jack Lambert
                2.Mike Webster
                3.Lynn Swann
                4.John Stallworth

1. Jay Cutler
                2. Tony Scheffler
                3. Brandon Marshall
                4. Greg Eslinger

You're by yourself on this one!

Those are a bunch of Hall-of-Fame players!

If even 1 of the Broncos draft choices of 2006 winds up in Cooperstown, then it will have been a great draft even if all the others wash out.

Don't hold your breath!

Tony Sheffler? A reach pick who might pan out or who might be the next Darius Watts.

Brandon Marshall, a guy who might pan out or might simply be another reach pick. I like him, but he's got a long way to go even to become a starter for this team -- forget about Hall of Fame for now! Compare him to Lynn Swann? Are you high?

Greg Eslinger? A late round C who might break into the starting lineup in a couple of years (if he develops)? That's equal to John Stallworth?

But that Steelers draft is normally considered the greatest of all time. To compare the Broncos 2006 draft with a couple of reaches and a maybe, maybe-not QB of the future -- who knows how good he'll be -- to the greatest draft of all time is just monumentally idiotic!

The Broncos draft probably isn't even the best draft of this year, let alone of all time! (This doesn't mean it's bad, just get a grip on reality)!
                sigpic

Comment

i know its hard to think about the broncos top 4 picks (of this years draft) could actually measure up to half the success of the steelers 74 draft, but come on, you guys are only saying this because you already know the outcome of those 4 steelers. do you actually believe spectators were actually thinking Lynn Swann is a HoF reciever right when he was drafted? i highly doubt it. every steelers fan were probably saying the same thing about that 74 draft as we are about the Broncos 2006 draft. is my statement a reach? of course it is! but it is also as much of a reach as saying that they (tony scheffler, jay cutler, brandon marshall, and greg eslinger) are going to the hall of fame as it is to say they will be flops. did anyone think Terrell Davis was going to be MVP of the League just 3 years after being drafted in the 6th round? i think the first thought was, "here comes another season of a less than decent running game." don't go out doubting me right away, just take my statement and run with it. After all, the NFL is full of surprises and if or when those broncos prospects acheive pro bowl levels, youre going to forget all the doubt you ever had and root for them... my intention of the thread wasn't to say the Broncos Draft picks would be HoFers just like the Steelers 74 draft. i simply put that they can be at least half as good. i like all of your posts by the way... i just threw this thread in the mix to put up a reasonable thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                    You're by yourself on this one!

Those are a bunch of Hall-of-Fame players!

If even 1 of the Broncos draft choices of 2006 winds up in Cooperstown, then it will have been a great draft even if all the others wash out.

Don't hold your breath!

Tony Sheffler? A reach pick who might pan out or who might be the next Darius Watts.

Brandon Marshall, a guy who might pan out or might simply be another reach pick. I like him, but he's got a long way to go even to become a starter for this team -- forget about Hall of Fame for now! Compare him to Lynn Swann? Are you high?

Greg Eslinger? A late round C who might break into the starting lineup in a couple of years (if he develops)? That's equal to John Stallworth?

But that Steelers draft is normally considered the greatest of all time. To compare the Broncos 2006 draft with a couple of reaches and a maybe, maybe-not QB of the future -- who knows how good he'll be -- to the greatest draft of all time is just monumentally idiotic!

The Broncos draft probably isn't even the best draft of this year, let alone of all time! (This doesn't mean it's bad, just get a grip on reality)!

Cooperstown!!! hahah thats baseball, the football HOF is in Canton, Ohio

Comment

wow!

I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest homer on the planet. But even I have to admit that our guys shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Steelers class of 74.

I have visions of Cutler throwing the ball like Elway. I can imagine Marshall turning out to be a stud in a couple years and I think that Eslinger may be one of our biggest steals this year. And I believe Dumervil will surprise everyone in a year or two. But I suspect Scheffler is another Jeb. But I'm not even ready to say any of these guys make the RING of Fame, let alone the HALL.
                      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

these are all fine opinions, just like mine. at the end of the day, they will still be opinions. Now, i have been saying that they are PROSPECTS to turn into HALF as GOOD as the 74 Draft by the Steelers. If you look back at the players the steelers drafted in 74, RIGHT as they were drafted and NOT after they made the HoF, you'll see that the predictament has a LITTLE similarity. Have faith fellow Broncomaniacs... these players have the raw talent that gives them potential to do great things in upcoming years! all these guys need is a chance, give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
                          I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest homer on the planet. But even I have to admit that our guys shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the Steelers class of 74.

I have visions of Cutler throwing the ball like Elway. I can imagine Marshall turning out to be a stud in a couple years and I think that Eslinger may be one of our biggest steals this year. And I believe Dumervil will surprise everyone in a year or two. But I suspect Scheffler is another Jeb. But I'm not even ready to say any of these guys make the RING of Fame, let alone the HALL.
                          Well, Alaska, I have to agree with you, except on Cutler. I believe there we have a budding superstar. Of course, he could well fool me and turn out at the other end to be another Ryan Leaf.

Or somewhere in the middle.

But I seriously doubt that we will ever see a true equivalent to the Steelers class of '74.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                            Well, Alaska, I have to agree with you, except on Cutler. I believe there we have a budding superstar. Of course, he could well fool me and turn out at the other end to be another Ryan Leaf.

Or somewhere in the middle.

But I seriously doubt that we will ever see a true equivalent to the Steelers class of '74.

-----
                            you guys really need to read the whole thread and not just skim through it. i never said they will equal the steelers draft. i said that they are prospects with talent enough to be half as good as the steelers picks. am i getting through to you?

Comment

you guys really need to read the whole thread and not just skim through it. i never said they will equal the steelers draft. i said that they are prospects with talent enough to be half as good as the steelers picks. am i getting through to you?
                              You need to read my whole post and understand what I did and did not say.

I never said that you said they will equal the Steeler's draft.

That was a generic remark.

Now, did I get through to you?

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X