Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you say "the '74 draft all over again"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topscribe
    Well, Alaska, I have to agree with you, except on Cutler. I believe there we have a budding superstar. Of course, he could well fool me and turn out at the other end to be another Ryan Leaf.

Or somewhere in the middle.

But I seriously doubt that we will ever see a true equivalent to the Steelers class of '74.

-----
    I think we're saying the same thing. I have visions of Cutler throwing like Elway. I just don't say it out loud (pretty safe in here) and I don't dare say he'll be the next saviour although I think he's got a great chance. He won't need to be rushed, he's coming to an insanely prolific offense that knows how to utilize real talent (see what a certain #7 did in this offense) and he's got some serious tools, and he's intelligent. We've seen him on tape make throws no kid drafted recently can make. And he showed a lot of leadership and toughness at Vandy.
    "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
      The Broncos draft probably isn't even the best draft of this year, let alone of all time! (This doesn't mean it's bad, just get a grip on reality)!
      Just thought you might want to see this, from John Clayton, NFL guru for espn.com...

1. Denver Broncos: Mike Shanahan whipped all the critics by acquiring the Cleveland Browns defensive line in 2005 and parlaying those acquisitions into a trip to the AFC title game. This year, Shanahan draws nothing but praise. Instead of drafting wide receiver Santonio Holmes with the 15th pick, the Broncos traded up to the 11th pick to get quarterback Jay Cutler. Then they found the reciever that they needed, trading just a second-round pick to the Packers for Javon Walker. Clearly, they were the biggest winners on the first day of the draft. Shanahan hasn't had any luck drafting receivers, so being able to trade for Walker instead of drafting a reciever was a better move. Getting a veteran as talented as Walker for a second-round pick is a steal. Shanahan set the franchise up well for the short-term and the long-term. The Broncos get Walker for the 2006 season, and they have Cutler as the quarterback of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
        You need to read my whole post and understand what I did and did not say.

I never said that you said they will equal the Steeler's draft.

That was a generic remark.

Now, did I get through to you?

-----
        why the heck would you bring up "true equivalence" in order to disagree with my thread when you know i never said anything about the 06 broncos draft being equal to the steelers 74 draft? when you use direct words like "true equivalent", youre going to start a snowball affect. people are going to get a misconception on this whole topic and get crazy by thinking that i already feel the new broncos are as good as the 74 steelers. this will end up like that "Jake is as good as Elway(almost)" thread.
        The Orange Crush will rise again!

Comment

Originally posted by Browncofan87
          why the heck would you bring up "true equivalence" in order to disagree with my thread when you know i never said anything about the 06 broncos draft being equal to the steelers 74 draft? when you use direct words like "true equivalent", youre going to start a snowball affect. people are going to get a misconception on this whole topic and get crazy by thinking that i already feel the new broncos are as good as the 74 steelers. this will end up like that "Jake is as good as Elway(almost)" thread.
          When I post, I say what I say.

Live with it.

-----

Comment

Major Malfunction

I'm sensing some hostility in your responses to our skepticism Brownco and I'll take a moment to point out WHY this was destined to happen:

-----
            Can you say "the '74 draft all over again"?
            now, i know im jumping into the distant future a little quick but, i cant help but be extremely excited after watching the Broncos 2006 draft.

if you guys dont understand what i am talking about when i say the '74 draft all over again, Im talking about the greatest draft by one team of all time...the Pittsburgh Steelers. In that draft, 4 of the players they drafted eventually wound up in the Hall of Fame. those four were:
            1.Jack Lambert
            2.Mike Webster
            3.Lynn Swann
            4.John Stallworth

those are really great players and i dont want to take anything away from what they did in the NFL but i cant help to think that Broncos got just as good of a steal in their 2006 draft as those 1974 Steelers did.
            ------
            This section is completely directed at hyping the comparison. There's no caveats, no contingencies, no compromise. Everything in this first part from the title to this point DIRECTLY compares our draft to theirs. The ONLY way we could get "just as good of a steal...as those steelers did" would be if we had 4 guys from our draft make the hall of fame. Otherwise there is no comparison.

Now in your defense right there is where most readers had coffee spewing out their noses "wtf did he just say about our draft" etc... so they may have missed the next part.

---
            my top four prospects that have a chance to at least be half as good as those 4 steelers would have to be:
            1. Jay Cutler
            2. Tony Scheffler
            3. Brandon Marshall
            4. Greg Eslinger

they might not sound like any future greats but hey, im sure Lambert wasnt believed to be as great as he ended up being either. How many of you all can agree with this belief? If im by myself on this one, then thats fine by me.
            ---
            Then you backtracked and said "half" as good. Well half as good as a hall of famer is really no comparison to a hall of famer. That would be like comparing Omaha local theatre to Broadway.

So your comparison is incongruent and your post and subsequent defenses contradictory.

Which is it, is our draft like 74 all over again or are you just thinking that our guys will be half as good? If they're half as good then maybe this draft is more like the year we got Al Wilson or Trevor Pryce or Steve Atwater? Because I would say if you took 4 guys half as good as a hall of famer you could make ONE Steve Atwater or ONE Randy Gradishar.

With all this confusion we seemed to take the post at face value based on the title and the first few lines rather than trying to interpret what you really meant later on when the argument was watered down. Thus you had a bunch of guys chuckling.
            Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM.
            "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
              I'm sensing some hostility in your responses to our skepticism Brownco and I'll take a moment to point out WHY this was destined to happen:
              ---
              Then you backtracked and said "half" as good. Well half as good as a hall of famer is really no comparison to a hall of famer. That would be like comparing Omaha local theatre to Broadway.

So your comparison is incongruent and your post and subsequent defenses contradictory.

Which is it, is our draft like 74 all over again or are you just thinking that our guys will be half as good? If they're half as good then maybe this draft is more like the year we got Al Wilson or Trevor Pryce or Steve Atwater? Because I would say if you took 4 guys half as good as a hall of famer you could make ONE Steve Atwater or ONE Randy Gradishar.

With all this confusion we seemed to take the post at face value based on the title and the first few lines rather than trying to interpret what you really meant later on when the argument was watered down. Thus you had a bunch of guys chuckling.
              youre right in that sense that if they turn out to be only Half as good as the 74 steelers, then i am drifting away from what i was really talking about. i didnt want to go full force and say they can be equal to the 74 draft because you guys will cause even more hostility and start saying "how can you compare the new broncos to the HoF steelers?" "they will never be as good as the 74 Steelers!" i didnt want to cause more turmoil than i already have.

the thing that gets me is that you guys are not liking that im already jumping to the conclusion that these new broncos can be like the 74 steelers; However, you all are doing the same thing im doing but in the opposite direction... you all are jumping to conclusions that these guys wont be as good as the 74 steelers. why am i so wrong with my opinion but you guys are correct?

and to answer the quote (hopefully i give you the right answer), i said they can be at least half as good as the steelers.

My thread title has some accuracy with my post. i gave you a view on why i'd bring up the steelers 1974 draft. i feel that the broncos got really good talent in the draft and i went on the safe side and said that they can at least be half as good as the '74 steelers. that means Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, and Eslinger can be at the very least, be half as good as the 1974 steeler draftees were. if not as good !

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
                ---

you are right by the way, and i should have made the title blend better with the point i was trying to make. but my point was there. and if i still cant explain my point of view well enough for you to understand, then i guess no one will understand and this whole thread will end up with postings of people backing up the 1974 Steelers.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrules40
                  Cooperstown!!! hahah thats baseball, the football HOF is in Canton, Ohio
                  Alright! Canton then. The point remains. It's a LOOOOONG way before anyone will be talking about Tony Sheffler or Brandon Marshall as being worthy of enshrinement in the Pro-football Hall of Fame!

The odds are that nobody is going to remember these players 10 years from now. And that's IF they have successful careers. If not they'll be about as famous as Kevin Kaspar and Aaron Hunt were.

(What? You don't remember those "Hall of Fame" former Broncos players?)

To compare any Broncos draft pick to Lynn Swann or Jack Lambert is just nuts at this point.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Browncofan87
                    youre right in that sense that if they turn out to be only Half as good as the 74 steelers, then i am drifting away from what i was really talking about. i didnt want to go full force and say they can be equal to the 74 draft because you guys will cause even more hostility and start saying "how can you compare the new broncos to the HoF steelers?" "they will never be as good as the 74 Steelers!" i didnt want to cause more turmoil than i already have.

the thing that gets me is that you guys are not liking that im already jumping to the conclusion that these new broncos can be like the 74 steelers; However, you all are doing the same thing im doing but in the opposite direction... you all are jumping to conclusions that these guys wont be as good as the 74 steelers. why am i so wrong with my opinion but you guys are correct?

and to answer the quote (hopefully i give you the right answer), i said they can be at least half as good as the steelers.

My thread title has some accuracy with my post. i gave you a view on why i'd bring up the steelers 1974 draft. i feel that the broncos got really good talent in the draft and i went on the safe side and said that they can at least be half as good as the '74 steelers. that means Cutler, Scheffler, Marshall, and Eslinger can be at the very least, be half as good as the 1974 steeler draftees were. if not as good !
                    The odds are significantly greater that we will come nowhere close to the '74 draft than that we willl have had anywhere near as successful a draft.

Yeah, it's theoretically possible, but there isn't really a reason to even consider it at this point. I liked the players we drafted too, but we just don't know. Not only that, but we ignored available players at positions of need to go after a future quarterback. There is some decent logic to it and I like the looks of Cutler, but I don't even think that we made the best of all possible moves in the draft. It wasn't a bad draft and with a little luck could be a good one, but I'm not alone in thinking that we could have done better by picking up one of the quality linemen or trading back for another good player and a second round pick in this draft.
                    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                    . Post Your Artwork .
                    . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

all right i'll stop with the posting here. there are some good points you guys make but there are some who dont even look at the whole picture of things. i just dont like how people are saying i cant say someone like brandon marshall cant end up like lynn swann. swann was a rookie at one point in time and also came from a later round than marshall did. if Swann didnt go to the perfect situated team in Pittsburgh, odds are, he wouldnt be in Canton. he doesnt have the greatest statistics for a reciever... if Marshall gets 3 superbowl titles with the broncos and contributes noticeably, well then thats all i guess he needs to become like Swann.

Comment

all right i'll stop with the posting here. there are some good points you guys make but there are some who dont even look at the whole picture of things. i just dont like how people are saying i cant say someone like brandon marshall cant end up like lynn swann. swann was a rookie at one point in time and also came from a later round than marshall did. if Swann didnt go to the perfect situated team in Pittsburgh, odds are, he wouldnt be in Canton. he doesnt have the greatest statistics for a reciever... if(im aware that its a pretty big if) Marshall gets 3 superbowl titles with the broncos and contributes noticeably, well then thats all i guess he needs to become like Swann.

Comment

doesn't matter. Long bfore they could become HoF players....they have to be good players... good players get big bucks. Four players making big, HoF caliber player, type money won't remain on hte same team. So even if all four were to reach HoF play.. they will do it while playing on other teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X