Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back at the 2002 draft.

1 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii

Has been a starter and solid #2 receiver. He had a 1000 yard season however his time in Denver looks like it's gonna end ugly if he holds out or gets traded.

2 51 Clinton Portis RB Miami

Was one of the best 3 runningbacks in the NFL when he was in Denver. Could completely change a game by himself because of his incredible home run ability. Was traded for Champ Bailey and Tatum Bell who have both been very valuable to the franchise.

3 96 Dorsett Davis DT Mississippi State

Was never more than a backup and had constant injury problems. Was released from the team and never really contributed.

4 131 Sam Brandon SS Nevada-Las Vegas

Has been a valuable backup and special teams player the Broncos. He plays in passing situations and has contributed to the team. He was re-signed to a new contract this offseason and will continue to contribute in the future.

5 144 Herb Haygood WR Michigan State

Saw a little amount of time as a 4th or 5th reciever but never made an impact and didnt stick around too long.

6 191 Jeb Putzier TE Boise State

Was a TE project who converted from WR. He played well for us and was a good team guy. He had a couple productive years catching the ball before being released this offseason. His lack of blocking ability was his ticket out of town.

7 228 Chris Young SS Georgia Tech

Saw time on special teams and looked like he could have been a capable backup but he was released this offseason. He struggled with injuries during his time in Denver.

7 231 Monsanto Pope DT Virginia

Was a decent backup for awhile and did see some playing time and was adequate when he was on the field. He was eventually released by the Broncos and was signed by another team.

This was a good draft in many different ways. It got us Lelie who has produced, and Portis who helped carry us to the playoffs in Plummer's first year in Denver. Then when we traded him we got Champ Bailey and Tatum Bell who helped us get to the AFC Championship game.

The pick of Dorsett davis at 96 wasnt neccessarily bad because after him the DTs taken are no names except for guys like Rocky Benard and Justin Bannan. Hindsight is always 20/20, but in this case there was nothing to see anyway.

The rest of the picks are fine because most of the guys we got contributed for awhile.

Overall this was a great draft and really helped catapult us to where we are now, atop the AFC West.
    Last edited by BroncoStampede; 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM.

yeah 2002 was a great draft because we got Champ Baily with the 2nd round pick

Comment

now in the 2006 we get Walker.. Shanny is great

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say Portis carried Plummer to the playoffs. Its actually the other way around we went 1-3 without Plummer just to remind you. He went over 100 yards all of those games, but it just wasn't enough without a functional passing game. Kanell was best at holding the clipboard, the very same thing couldve happened to us this year had Plummer gotten hurt, but with Cutler as the backup we have an insurance policy that we can compete even with Plummer nursing injuries.
        sigpic
        PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
        You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by vicious2500
          I wouldn't exactly say Portis carried Plummer to the playoffs. Its actually the other way around we went 1-3 without Plummer just to remind you. He went over 100 yards all of those games, but it just wasn't enough without a functional passing game. Kanell was best at holding the clipboard, the very same thing couldve happened to us this year had Plummer gotten hurt, but with Cutler as the backup we have an insurance policy that we can compete even with Plummer nursing injuries.
          I said he helped carry us to the playoffs and helped the team. I said he helped Plummer in his first year as a Bronco, I never said "Portis carried Plummer to the playoffs".

Comment

Interesting post, Stampede. What I like about that draft (besides that most of the players contributed) was that it balanced offense and defense. Last year's picks were pretty much all defense; this year's, all offense. I don't think this "shotgun" approach (drafting a bunch of players at one position hoping one of them will turn out to be good) is terribly effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7
              Interesting post, Stampede. What I like about that draft (besides that most of the players contributed) was that it balanced offense and defense. Last year's picks were pretty much all defense; this year's, all offense. I don't think this "shotgun" approach (drafting a bunch of players at one position hoping one of them will turn out to be good) is terribly effective.

D. Williams, D. Foxworth, and K. Paymah all saw playing time last year, when was the last time you saw three rookies who all play the SAME position, ALL see playing time their first year. I'd call that... effective.

This year, Scheffler, Marshall, and Dumervil all figure to get playing time, plus we used a 2nd round pick for Walker.

Again, I call it effective.

And on an unrelated note... In the last 4 years Shanny has turned 2 second round picks into two HUGE deals.

First he drafts CP with a 2nd... Brilliant move.

Then he trades CP for CB AND a 2nd... Brilliant move.

Then he drafts Darrent Williams in the 2nd... Brilliant Move.

And this year he turns a 2nd into Javon Walker... Freakin' Genius.

I say we trade all of our picks next year for second rounders... That's the round Shanny excells in the most.
              God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsOwnU
                D. Williams, D. Foxworth, and K. Paymah all saw playing time last year, when was the last time you saw three rookies who all play the SAME position, ALL see playing time their first year. I'd call that... effective.

This year, Scheffler, Marshall, and Dumervil all figure to get playing time, plus we used a 2nd round pick for Walker.

Again, I call it effective.

And on an unrelated note... In the last 4 years Shanny has turned 2 second round picks into two HUGE deals.

First he drafts CP with a 2nd... Brilliant move.

Then he trades CP for CB AND a 2nd... Brilliant move.

Then he drafts Darrent Williams in the 2nd... Brilliant Move.

And this year he turns a 2nd into Javon Walker... Freakin' Genius.

I say we trade all of our picks next year for second rounders... That's the round Shanny excells in the most.
                Hopefully for our sake, besides Javon in the 2nd, he made a genius move in round 1.
                Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBuckeye
                  Hopefully for our sake, besides Javon in the 2nd, he made a genius move in round 1.

seriously
                  "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Working...
                  X