• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFLDraftCountdown grades our draft

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rev...erbroncos.html
    Denver Broncos '06 Draft Review
    Scott Wright
    President, NFL Draft Countdown

When it comes to the 2006 NFL Draft the Denver Broncos were without question one of the most aggressive teams in the league, pulling off a number of high-profile deals prior to and during the selection process. Even though his name doesn't show up as a member of this draft class you'd be remiss not to factor in the acquisition of disgruntled Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker for a second round pick. There is some risk involved with the deal because Walker is coming off of a major knee injury but if he can regain his pre-injury form he's one of the best young wideouts in the league and will finally give them the stud they have been looking for to eventually replace Rod Smith.

In round one the Broncos surprised a lot of people when they traded up to select Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler, who will eventually take over for Jake Plummer. I was never as high on Cutler as some and felt his drastic rise was more a product of media hype rather than on field performance but with that said he is a very good young prospect who certainly has the physical tools to be an excellent pro signal caller. While in the long run this might turn out to be a great move for the Denver Broncos I think they may have been better served by going in another direction and I'll tell you why. The Broncos are trying to win a Super Bowl right now and while 3-4 years down the line Cutler could be a star I feel they maybe should have used the pick to get someone who can help them win now such as Kamerion Wimbley or Manny Lawson because their window is closing fast. You also have to wonder how bringing in a highly touted young quarterback will affect their current starter Jake Plummer, who has always been shaky with the mental aspects of the game anyway and will now have to be looking over his shoulder. As I said Cutler is a great prospect and eventually this might be a tremendous pick for them but even the team hopes he won't see the field in 2006 and I just don't like to see teams looking too far ahead into the future when the present can be so promising.

This franchise helped usher in the modern era of the dynamic pass catching tight ends with Shannon Sharpe but since he left they really haven't had a top playmaker at the position. Denver did try to trade up for Vernon Davis but when those attempts were unsuccessful they instead opted for Tony Scheffler of Western Michigan in round two. A great athlete who was also a top baseball player in college, Scheffler is a boom or bust type who saw his stock soar thanks to some great workouts. With Jeb Putzier leaving as a free agent they definitely needed help at the position but Scheffler is far from a finished product and might not be able to provide the type of immediate help they need.

After not having a pick in round three the Broncos came back with a vengeance in round four with three selections, all of which happened to be very solid. With two of those picks Denver brought in some additional depth at wide receiver by selecting Brandon Marshall of Central Florida and Domenik Hixon of Akron. Marshall is a big wideout at 6-4 and 229lbs. who saw his stock rise considerably thanks to strong showings in both the Hawaii Bowl as well as the Hula Bowl all-star game. Hixon is a former safety with relatively little offensive experience but he tested well by running a 4.36 at 6-2 and 200lbs. and was one of the drafts late risers. Even though both of these guys are projects to an extent they will definitely upgrade the talent level at the position while providing the quality depth that the team has been searching for. With their other choice in round four the Broncos took defensive end Elvis Dumervil of Louisville, who was extremely productive in college but lacks the size (5-11, 257) and speed (4.75) of a premier pro prospect. The Broncos don't have a top defensive end so there could be an opportunity for him to make some noise but in the end he might fall into the same category as other former college sack monsters such as Corey Moore and Johnathan Goddard, who didn't make nearly the impact at the next level as their college press clippings would have led you to believe.

With their final two picks the Broncos brought in a couple of offensive linemen who are excellent fits for their zone-blocking scheme in offensive guard Chris Kuper of North Dakota and center Greg Eslinger of Minnesota. Kuper, who is a native of Alaska, is very athletic and was one of the top sleeper prospects in the draft after really putting his name on the map at the Scouting Combine. Eslinger, the Outland Trophy winner, was a highly decorated college player and All-American who dropped all the way to the end of round six due to a lack of ideal size. That won't be an issue with Denver though and with Tom Nalen getting up there in years there is no doubt in my mind that Eslinger will start and be a Pro Bowler for them one day. These two could be classic examples of how the Denver Broncos land offensive linemen that others don't want late in the draft and turn them into stars, especially in the case of Eslinger.

All in all the Broncos did a very good job this year, addressing all of their most pressing needs while also getting a young quarterback for the future. Even though I wasn't entirely sold on their first two picks (Cutler and Scheffler) they did a tremendous job in the middle and late rounds with Eslinger having the potential to be one of this drafts great steals. When you combine all of that with the trade for Javon Walker, which could turn out to be robbery if he's able to regain his health, it equals one of the better grades that I will be handing out this year.

GRADE: B+
    Cool review
    MMA News
    MMA News 247

This review has already been posted

Comment

Originally posted by Dub-DeuceKnight
      This review has already been posted
      yeah thats what I was thinking. I recognized it.
      sigpic

Comment

Sorry my bad
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

Comment

Nice info.
          The Hebrew Hammer's DVD Collection

Reggie Bush IR watch-( 5 mins into practice and he pulls up lame.)

What will happen when he gets hit by the men in practice.

communism has only killed 100 million people. Let's give it another chance.

Comment

I was never as high on Cutler as some and felt his drastic rise was more a product of media hype rather than on field performance
            Interesting read. As to the above comment, I'm pretty sure Shanny has never paid an ounce of attention to media hype when it comes to drafting. That's judging by the Broncos' prior drafts. The staff has their own draft board that often conflicts with the media and they always seem to surprise people.

And for that reason, I feel that Cutler is a fine prospect at #11 and not just a product of hype. Of course, it doesn't hurt that most draft "analysts" had Cutler projected to go in the top 10.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              Interesting read. As to the above comment, I'm pretty sure Shanny has never paid an ounce of attention to media hype when it comes to drafting. That's judging by the Broncos' prior drafts. The staff has their own draft board that often conflicts with the media and they always seem to surprise people.

And for that reason, I feel that Cutler is a fine prospect at #11 and not just a product of hype. Of course, it doesn't hurt that most draft "analysts" had Cutler projected to go in the top 10.
              Is this the same Javalon that went beserk on draft weekend?

WHEW!!!!

I KNEW your name was hijacked......
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

broncos have the best grade in teh draft so far from nfldraftcountdown
                sigpic

Comment

I already posted it

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=62779

Comment

in that story, it said that Hixon used to play safety and doesn't really have any offensive experience........i wonder if Shanahan will use him at safety at all?

sig by Skywalker
                    thanks Skywalker

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                      Is this the same Javalon that went beserk on draft weekend?

WHEW!!!!

I KNEW your name was hijacked......
                      Well, if you read that original rant, I did say right up front that I'd get over it. And I have.

That doesn't mean I still wouldn't have preferred to go defensive line. But I'm getting used to being disappointed every year.
                      "You can't take the sky from me..."
                      ------
                      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

A bit off topic...

but I checked their forums and that is one sorry excuse for a Browns fan. That Cleveland31 or whatever his name was. That is no Browns fan. Young punks messing with tradition.
                        The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
                        X