Dumervil will be a BEAST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a thought:

Perhaps his size WILL help him. If you are used to seeing the 6'4", 300 lb guys all year and then you have to figure out this guy, well, it could be tough.

Example: When the zone blitz came into the league, no one could really stop it. As soon as most teams added it to their defensive packages, it became less effective.

My point being, as long as you have the basic ability to play at the NFL level, being far away from the "average" or "ideal" can be an asset. I keep picturing P-burg's LB's owning our O-line... Was that because they were harder to block than say Julius Peppers or was it because the style and scheme was different from what they were used to?

Elvis will find his spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colorado69
      I think I'll pass on the information on defense from KC. When your defence can make a top 10 appearance, then you have room to evaluate the Bronco's defense. The Orange Crush was a 3-4 defense and had an excellent coordinator to design it for the personnel he had on hand. Gradishar belongs in the HOF. If Dumervil performs similar to Mecklenburg, he will be well loved in Denver.
      Considering Kansas City was probably the best defense in the NFL throughout the 90's I think we know a little more about defense than you Broncos fans. Your present defense or the "orange crush" could not stand up to the likes of Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, James Hasty, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua, Bill Maas, Donnie Edwards, Keith Traylor, and Chester McGlockton who all played for the Chiefs in the 90's.
      "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

• Originally posted by kmartin575
        Considering Kansas City was probably the best defense in the NFL throughout the 90's I think we know a little more about defense than you Broncos fans. Your present defense or the "orange crush" could not stand up to the likes of Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, James Hasty, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua, Bill Maas, Donnie Edwards, Keith Traylor, and Chester McGlockton who all played for the Chiefs in the 90's.
        Yes, but Traylor and Smith had to come to Denver for SB rings!

Comment

Man, I hated you guys then. Especially with Montana dinkin' and dunkin' all day long. You guys were a serious headache back then.... Thank god that's changed....

Comment

• Originally posted by jdhdiggs
            Man, I hated you guys then. Especially with Montana dinkin' and dunkin' all day long. You guys were a serious headache back then.... Thank god that's changed....
            As much as I love KC I have to admit they have not been able to do it all at the same time. They had the great defense but struggled with the offense. Now, we have the great offense but are struggling to build the defense.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Usually, a team with the best Defense in the NFL, makes it deep into the play-offs. What's up with that? The Orange Crush Defense of the 70's makes those guys you mentioned look like girlscouts. ..................the one's that come to your door with cookies, not the good ones, but those boxes mint flavored cookies. Derreick Thomas and Neil Smith were good, Carter wasn't great, he was okay. When I think of great Defenses, KC doesn't come to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by cswil
                I know he is short for a DE, hell seems like most DEs are 6'3 or 4 these days. Freeney is only 6 foot, maybe 6'1. But I have heard that Dumerville has exceptionally long arms and a great reach which helps him. Otherwise, I am like most people and hope he is a gem, but I dont expect him to lead the NFL in sacks or anything.
                Yeah he has good reach, and is very strong, but one of his biggest downsides is when he gets inside big OLinemen he gets manhandled. that happens alot on the run because the linemen come at him cause him to get inside where is reach doesnt help and his size effects him. Thats why i think he will be a pass rushing DE only in on passing downs. Maybe 9-10 sacks a year but not an elite DE by any means because he cant defen the run well
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

• Originally posted by GridironChamp
                  Yeah he has good reach, and is very strong, but one of his biggest downsides is when he gets inside big OLinemen he gets manhandled. that happens alot on the run because the linemen come at him cause him to get inside where is reach doesnt help and his size effects him. Thats why i think he will be a pass rushing DE only in on passing downs. Maybe 9-10 sacks a year but not an elite DE by any means because he cant defen the run well

i tend to agree with you there.

Comment

• Originally posted by T8KNOVR
                    "I've been playing the nose, the tackle and both ends -- pretty much the whole D-line," Dumervil said. "I played inside a little bit my junior year. I made a couple of plays. I guess they did their homework and saw that."

"If I was just a rush end, it would be pretty simple, but now that I'm playing all these positions, I've got to know everybody's position," Dumervil said.

Head Coach Mike Shanahan told the media that the Nagurski Award winner "could possibly be a nose tackle (or a) three-technique (tackle)."

"for Miami, I would have had to redshirt and then sit back about three years and play linebacker," Dumervil said. "Florida State never recruited me."

Although athletic enough to play linebacker, he is made for the D-line. I went to San Diego State University from 1992 - 1996 with Marshall, Darnay Scott and La'Roi Glover. He was 4 inches shorter then his DE little brother Darcell. However, he always played harder, stronger and faster then his brother. The Rams have La'Roi listed as 6'2, 282 smaller then the prototypical DT but he has been effective as DT and NT. In a 4-3 defense he flourished and had 10 sacks over the last two years with Bill Parcel's and the 3-4 defense. He is a Pro-Bowl DT, no debating that. DT's in the 2006 Pro-Bowl averaged around 6'4 330 pounds or so. Shortest DT was Tommy Harris 6'3 300 pounds. Tallest Marcus Stroud 6'6 312 pounds. Heaviest Jamal Williams 6'3 348 pounds. All of them substantially bigger then La'Roi. I saw him play in college and I would not pick any of those 3 guys before Glover. No matter what the defense was i would take the smaller guy every time.

I have a feeling I am going to be saying the same thing about Elvis in about 3 years. Gentleman, I never said that "Dumervil will be a Beast" in the 2006 season??? I truly believe that if he averages the 7 sacks that Grid predicted,

"What matters is how he will produce and Dumervile wont ever be in the game long enough to produce numbers = to a great or a good DE. Yes he might have 7 sacks in a season. That's not good at all."Gridiron 06-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Dumervil will be second day steal.
                    I really hope you didnt just say he is getting 7 sacks as a rookie

I wont ever deny that Dumbervile will rush a passer, and be great at it. Thats what he does, but he wont be able to play the run well which therefore doesnt get labled as a BEAST!

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

• Originally posted by HolyDiver
                      Usually, a team with the best Defense in the NFL, makes it deep into the play-offs. What's up with that? The Orange Crush Defense of the 70's makes those guys you mentioned look like girlscouts. ..................the one's that come to your door with cookies, not the good ones, but those boxes mint flavored cookies. Derreick Thomas and Neil Smith were good, Carter wasn't great, he was okay. When I think of great Defenses, KC doesn't come to mind.

Thats because you try sooo hard to find bad things about KC all the good things get looked over. Try to be nuertal when debating about ppl or teams, it will help make a point

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

I agree also. However, 9-10 would be great considering our top DL had 4 last year.

Comment

Thats because you try sooo hard to find bad things about KC all the good things get looked over. Try to be nuertal when debating about ppl or teams, it will help make a point
                          Well, I was being honest. I know all you want to hear is, KC is great, KC had the best Defense in the 90's, KC has the best Offense in football today. But I'm sorry, that would not be true. The Chiefs offense is pretty good, not great though. The Defense of the 90's was pretty good, not great. Great Defenses were the Bears of 85..................Ravens of 2000...............Tampa Bay had a very good Defense a few years ago. Denver's Defense in the late 90's was better than any KC Defense of late. But I will say that the KC Defense in the early 70's were great. Willie Lanier, Bobby Bell, actually that Defense contains several HOF'ers. But the 90's?....................Sorry, good, but not great.

Comment

I will be the first to admit that KC had a great Defense in the early/mid 90s. Especially at Arrowhead.
                            But my favorite part is Neil Smith and Traylor having to come to Denver for rings.

BUT, their defense was great....now if they had just drafted Marino instead of Blackledge, DeBerg and Kreig would not have been the QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by turftoad
                              I agree also. However, 9-10 would be great considering our top DL had 4 last year.
                              I didnt mean this year

But yeah that is good production. But i dont think a 1 sided DE can be a BEAST!. He might be good, and he might be great at what he does, i cant even attempt to predict that, but from what i've read and seen i dont think he will develope great run D in the NFL.

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

trying to catch up here but I agree.. I also think he will need to learn to use his size as an advantage and learn to be able to go underneath (kinda like freenies side underneath swim move).

Comment

Working...
                                X