Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Snapper

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by tnedator
    Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to explain why it is very unlikely that Leach will get cut. Below are some excerpts from a USA Today article on long snappers. I think you will find that the league views long snappers as a very specialized skill.



    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...snappers_x.htm
    Really I don't think it is very unlikely that Leach with get cut. Nor however would I say that it is very likely he will get cut. At this point I would just say that it isn't a pipe dream he gets cut.

    To rehash, both Shanahan and Sundquist have said they didn't like only having two QB's that means we will need to find one spot that we didn't have last year. Something is going to get cut. Look at the interview with Shanahan on the Bronco's website he says it again that most likely they are going with three this year.

    There are, as there always are, many tough decisions that must be made. It may be that they would like to keep him on as a dedicated long snapper, and be like the rest of the league. However, this may be an area where they cut because of questions or depth on the rest of the team.

    I already knew that the long snapper is viewed very highly, but don't let a special piece blow things out of proportion for you, they are still expendable. Most teams have three QB's but we've done without.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Fan in exile
      I already knew that the long snapper is viewed very highly, but don't let a special piece blow things out of proportion for you, they are still expendable. Most teams have three QB's but we've done without.
      Correct. The difference is we don't keep three long snappers, we keep one. That would be like cutting the QB and having Rod Smith do the job.

      Ok, that is an extreme example, but it is more applicable than the two versus three QB's kept around the league.

      It is possible that if one of the players on our squad is an experienced long snapper, that they could cut Leach, but it is much more likely that they will find the extra roster spot elsewhere. It might be keeping one less DB, one less receiver, one less linebacker, etc. It just is not the place where most teams decide to skimp. It has been reported that one of the main reasons Denver is resigning Knorr is because he Elam's holder, the other half of the long snapper combo. A coach doesn't like to battle all day long, and then lose because a snap is in the dirt on a field goal, or because a snap went over the punters head for a safety.
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by tnedator
        Correct. The difference is we don't keep three long snappers, we keep one. That would be like cutting the QB and having Rod Smith do the job.

        Ok, that is an extreme example, but it is more applicable than the two versus three QB's kept around the league.

        It is possible that if one of the players on our squad is an experienced long snapper, that they could cut Leach, but it is much more likely that they will find the extra roster spot elsewhere. It might be keeping one less DB, one less receiver, one less linebacker, etc. It just is not the place where most teams decide to skimp. It has been reported that one of the main reasons Denver is resigning Knorr is because he Elam's holder, the other half of the long snapper combo. A coach doesn't like to battle all day long, and then lose because a snap is in the dirt on a field goal, or because a snap went over the punters head for a safety.
        We did have Rod Smith as our third Qb last year.

        It isn't only possible that we have other experienced long snappers on the team we have at least four, listed in the first part of the thread.

        I think that it is a possibility we could cut the long snapper when we have four others on the team, to save a promising young wideout.

        What you have to understand is that it is too early to tell how likely it is. That we won't know until we find out about the punting situation and Ashley, as well as other things that come up during training camp.

        I'm responding to Dogfish's comment that it is a pipe dream Leach gets cut. It isn't a pipe dream how likely it is we can't answer right now.

        I get how important the long snapper is you don't need another post saying they are importan. The real question: Is Mike Leach more important than one of the approximately 35 guys who could get cut?

        My answer is that with so many other guys who can do it, and a clear need to find another roster spot the answer may be no.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Fan in exile
          We did have Rod Smith as our third Qb last year.
          I know, that is the reason I said the correct comparison would be cutting the QB (as in starting QB) and having Rod start at QB.

          I'm responding to Dogfish's comment that it is a pipe dream Leach gets cut. It isn't a pipe dream how likely it is we can't answer right now.
          I agree that it isn't a pipe dream.
          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by tnedator
            I know, that is the reason I said the correct comparison would be cutting the QB (as in starting QB) and having Rod start at QB.

            Rod Smith can do anything.

            Comment


            • #21
              I think it was John Madden who said that if you want to have a long career in the NFL, learn to long snap. As much as I want the LS to be someone who also contributes some way besides snapping, Leach will be back.



              Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

              Comment


              • #22
                Most projects can be placed on the practice squad or be one of the inactives for each game. That peace of mind on 4th down is worth the roster spot far more than a 6th reviever or 10th db. Most other teams do carry 3qbs and still have a long snapper. Why can the only member of the team to play flawlessly?
                2014 adopt a Bronco #63 Ben Garland

                Comment

                Working...
                X