I'd like to see four rookies play together with the first team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to see four rookies play together with the first team

Just during training camp, a couple times I'd like to see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall and Mike Bell run a few series with the starting offensive line, fullback, and either Rod or Javon.

I'm not suggesting any of these guys be promoted to the starting jobs yet. But I'd like to see what they could all do on the field, either together or individually, in a first team situation and hopefully against the first team defense. In particular, our backup offensive lines aren't the most consistent (to keep it nice) and it's hard to gauge the good things these kids are doing.

I believe Scheffler is the only one who has spent time with the first team at all but it would be great to see these other impressive rookies in a more realistic situation. Then maybe we could tell if they're really coming along as well as it appears or if they are benefiting too much from the backup competition.

So, are you listening Shanny?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

You know what?

I was thinking the same thing....

I believe I've read a recap or two that stated Marshall's been lined up against first team DBs. That could have just been for drills.

I'm particularly interested in seeing what Bell (Mike) would look like against our first team defense and with our first team O-line. I've been reading up on him lately and it seems as though his skill set (quick feet, quick cuts, good instincts, attacks the hole) are perfect for our scheme.
    Boss

Comment

I could picture that near the end of a few pre season games. It would be fun to see them all together on the field. Rookies tend to stick together during the intial stages of being in the NFL and the oppourtunity for them to show what they can achieve will a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
        Just during training camp, a couple times I'd like to see Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Brandon Marshall and Mike Bell run a few series with the starting offensive line, fullback, and either Rod or Javon.

I'm not suggesting any of these guys be promoted to the starting jobs yet. But I'd like to see what they could all do on the field, either together or individually, in a first team situation and hopefully against the first team defense. In particular, our backup offensive lines aren't the most consistent (to keep it nice) and it's hard to gauge the good things these kids are doing.

I believe Scheffler is the only one who has spent time with the first team at all but it would be great to see these other impressive rookies in a more realistic situation. Then maybe we could tell if they're really coming along as well as it appears or if they are benefiting too much from the backup competition.

At camp today (7/31), Marshall played extensively with Rod and Javon in 3 WR sets when the 1st team practiced 2nd/3rd and long drills. He's scary big. I noticed that Walker is listed as 6' 4" and Marshall was at least an inch taller in the huddle. Seemed to have decent hands and speed as well. It may take him a bit of time to learn the system--Shanahan got on Marshall's case once when he didn't read the defense and adjust his route. I have to admit, the couple players that kept capturing my interest were Marshall and Mike Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by WildHorse
          At camp today (7/31), Marshall played extensively with Rod and Javon in 3 WR sets when the 1st team practiced 2nd/3rd and long drills. He's scary big. I noticed that Walker is listed as 6' 4" and Marshall was at least an inch taller in the huddle. Seemed to have decent hands and speed as well. It may take him a bit of time to learn the system--Shanahan got on Marshall's case once when he didn't read the defense and adjust his route. I have to admit, the couple players that kept capturing my interest were Marshall and Mike Bell.

Marshall and SHeff ran a lot with Rod and Javon...that was nice to see.

Comment

I think that would be cool to see what they could do working with the first team offense.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by WildHorse
              Yes, And in two tight end sets on the first team, Scheffler gets some reps.
              KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

I know I'm 'biased" but yea put the big Cutler boy in there for a few series with the first team. Along with the rookie receivers. I'd bet a $1 he would take them down the field.
                As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

That would be cool to see.

Comment

Working...
                  X