No announcement yet.

Tatum and Cutler moving up the depth chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My name is Vandyman53. I was recently drafted in the first round by a team. I play quarterback. Yes, I realize that I have work to do, however I plan to do it, and beat out the guy playing quarterback now.

If I didn't want to do that I would not be here. I would be throwing peanuts up in the upper deck. Along with Lelie
    As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
      I'll assume (as dangerous as it is) that you believe that the Broncos stand a pretty good chance to get to the playoffs maybe even the Super Bowl. Then if we should do that then no under most circumstances that wont happen JR. The only reason we were able to move up as high as we is becaue we had two number one picks to work with. Otherwise I sure we not have been able to move that high up. Also should we win the Super Bowl tell me how do we move up 21 slots in the draft?
      Good point. It is unusual that we had two #1 picks this year. Good planning by Shanny and Co. That made this draft much more exciting for me. I think the timing was right, but it is still hard to tolerate fans crying for Jake's head on a platter already with the record he has produced since he has been here. Jay probably has a very bright future with the Broncos, but I think he needs to learn some things from Plummer and take them in in order to have success with this team.
      Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
        I'll assume (as dangerous as it is) that you believe that the Broncos stand a pretty good chance to get to the playoffs maybe even the Super Bowl. Then if we should do that then no under most circumstances that wont happen JR. The only reason we were able to move up as high as we is becaue we had two number one picks to work with. Otherwise I sure we not have been able to move that high up. Also should we win the Super Bowl tell me how do we move up 21 slots in the draft?
        Look where there is a will there is a way.

With Mikey's abilities in signing FA and even UDFA's Moving up in the draft can be done with getting rid of your other draft choices. Ditka did it for MR # one, others have also for less than # 1. Most of the teams that suck SFO for example are not looking for anther QB. So perhaps one does not have to get to # 1 through 3, but just 4-6 depending upon who is up at the bottom of the food chain.

It is not like we needed a QB this year or for that matter the next couple of years. to be quite truthful there are few weaknesses on this team outside of DL for the foreseeable future unlike Ditkas plight down in NOL. Or for that matter many of the bottom feeders.

Our O-Line appears to be set for a long while 4-6 years barring Injuries to Lepsis.

Wr and RB's seem to be in place for the future, as well as TE.

LB's and BD except for perhaps Lynches replacement.

Kickers are rarely drafted anyway.

DL sucks without someone to sack the QB without the biltz.

Sorry I just did not see the desperate need that some did for QB.

I still contend that bunkley will make bigger impact this comming year than cutler will. He could have been absolutely huge in DEN.
        Last edited by JRWIZ; 08-11-2006, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
          Top they made the leap to 11 for cutler they could have made the leap next year or any year for that matter to do the same thing IF they wanted to. Where there is a will there is a way.
          Wrong on two accounts.

1. As mentioned before, we had 2 first round picks with which to trade. That usually doesn't happen for us.

2. How many years are there where the talent at quarterback is such that a prospect like Cutler can fall to 11? Even if we could trade up to 11 in a year or two (which is unlikely considering how much we'd have to give up), it's enormously unlikely that a QB anywhere near Cutler's talent would be available there.

The reason drafting Cutler was a good idea wasn't that we were in dire need of a QB. It was that in a few years we would be, and this was our best chance to get one. Suppose we draft a D-lineman, and do really well the next 3-4 years. Explain to me how we're supposed to get a young talented QB then with a bunch of picks in the 20s?
          Last edited by The_Roses_Thorn; 08-11-2006, 12:17 PM.
          RIP Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by The_Roses_Thorn
            Wrong on two accounts.

1. As mentioned before, we had 2 first round picks with which to trade. That usually doesn't happen for us.

2. How many years are there where the talent at quarterback is such that a prospect like Cutler can fall to 11? Even if we could trade up to 11 in a year or two (which is unlikely considering how much we'd have to give up), it's enormously unlikely that a QB anywhere near Cutler's talent would be available there.

We don't know that cutler is all that much better than the following:

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
            1 1 Jeff George QB Illinois
            1 7 Andre Ware QB Houston
            3 59 Tommy Hodson QB Louisiana State
            3 63 Peter Tom Willis QB Florida State
            3 70 Neil O'Donnell QB Maryland

1 16 Dan McGwire QB San Diego State
            1 24 Todd Marinovich QB Southern California
            2 33 Brett Favre QB Southern Mississippi
            2 34 Browning Nagle QB Louisville

1 6 David Klingler QB Houston
            1 25 Tommy Maddox QB UCLA
            2 40 Matt Blundin QB Virginia
            2 46 Tony Sacca QB Penn State

1 1 Drew Bledsoe QB Washington State
            1 2 Rick Mirer QB Notre Dame

1 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee
            1 6 Trent Dilfer QB Fresno State

1 3 Steve McNair QB Alcorn State
            1 5 Kerry Collins QB Penn State

2 42 Tony Banks QB Michigan State

1 26 Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech
            2 42 Jake Plummer QB Arizona State

1 1 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee
            1 2 Ryan Leaf QB Washington State
            2 60 Charlie Batch QB Eastern Michigan
            3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan
            6 187 Matt Hasselbeck QB Boston College

1 1 Tim Couch QB Kentucky
            1 2 Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse
            1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon
            1 11 Daunte Culpepper QB Central Florida
            1 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA

1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall

1 1 Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech
            2 32 Drew Brees QB Purdue
            6 168 Marc Bulger QB West Virginia
            6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan

1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
            1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon
            1 32 Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane
            3 81 Josh McCown QB Sam Houston State

1 1 Carson Palmer QB Southern California
            1 7 Byron Leftwich QB Marshall
            1 19 Kyle Boller QB California
            1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida

1 1 Eli Manning QB Mississippi
            1 4 Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State
            1 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami, O.
            1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane

1 1 Alex Smith QB Utah
            1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California
            1 25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn
            3 67 Charlie Frye QB Akron

Not counting 2006.

The odds are he will not be that franchise QB that everyone dreams for.

Comment

Look where there is a will there is a way.

With Mikey's abilities in signing FA and even UDFA's Moving up in the draft can be done with getting rid of your other draft choices. Ditka did it for MR # one, others have also for less than # 1. Most of the teams that suck SFO for example are not looking for anther QB. So perhaps one does not have to get to # 1 through 3, but just 4-6 depending upon who is up at the bottom of the food chain.

It is not like we needed a QB this year or for that matter the next couple of years. to be quite truthful there are few weaknesses on this team outside of DL for the foreseeable future unlike Ditkas plight down in NOL. Or for that matter many of the bottom feeders.

Our O-Line appears to be set for a long while 4-6 years barring Injuries to Lepsis.

Wr and RB's seem to be in place for the future, as well as TE.

LB's and BD except for perhaps Lynches replacement.

Kickers are rarely drafted anyway.

DL sucks without someone to sack the QB without the biltz.

Sorry I just did not see the desperate need that some did for QB.

I still contend that bunkley will make bigger impact this comming year than cutler will. He could have been absolutely huge in DEN.
              I think there is a happy medium here. No, I agree that there was not a dire need for a QB. Personally though, I don't blame Shanahan for taking the opportunity to get Jay in the first round, or to get Walker, for that matter. However, we sure should have made it a higher priority to get a Dlineman right away after that. Hixon and Marshall are nice, but that is a lot of picks for WR's in one draft (kind of like last year for DBs, but that actually worked out well).

Obviously our main need is Dline though, and it would have been nice to use a higher pick on that prospect...but it didn't have to be in the first or second round, IMO.
              Last edited by MN-Broncofreak; 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM. Reason: said Jake instead of Jay!

Comment

Originally posted by MN-Broncofreak
                I think there is a happy medium here. No, I agree that there was not a dire need for a QB. Personally though, I don't blame Shanahan for taking the opportunity to get Jay in the first round, or to get Walker, for that matter. However, we sure should have made it a higher priority to get a Dlineman right away after that. Hixon and Marshall are nice, but that is a lot of picks for WR's in one draft (kind of like last year for DBs, but that actually worked out well).

Obviously our main need is Dline though, and it would have been nice to use a higher pick on that prospect...but it didn't have to be in the first or second round, IMO.
                I disagree until we start dedicating a #1 every second or third year like a Boston does our Defense while rated will not be a difference maker.

Boston has the luxury of getting 2-3 years of great play out of a rookie (cheap as compared to what we are paying for FA's) DL guy and if they turn out to be great they can match their price in FAgency or insert another great prospect into their hole, same goes for PHL. Both teams have cut loose a couple of almost pro bowlers cause they got to expensive and saw virtually no drop off in play from their defense.

That is what we should be doing. It is a PROVEN model, unlike our feeble attempt to patch holes each year on a LOUSY DL.

I actually don't mind that he went for cutler either other than we so sorely needed a differnce maker @ DT.
                Last edited by JRWIZ; 08-11-2006, 02:48 PM. Reason: edit in orange

Comment

Originally posted by The_Roses_Thorn
                  Wrong on two accounts.

The reason drafting Cutler was a good idea wasn't that we were in dire need of a QB. It was that in a few years we would be, and this was our best chance to get one. Suppose we draft a D-lineman, and do really well the next 3-4 years. Explain to me how we're supposed to get a young talented QB then with a bunch of picks in the 20s?
                  Exactly the point of the pick. Would Shanny have been smart to wait 3-4 years when Jake has really slown down to then draft a quarterback and try to get him ready QUICKLY?
                  As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

Comment

We don't know that cutler is all that much better than the following:

1 1 Jeff George QB Illinois
                    1 7 Andre Ware QB Houston
                    3 59 Tommy Hodson QB Louisiana State
                    3 63 Peter Tom Willis QB Florida State
                    3 70 Neil O'Donnell QB Maryland

1 16 Dan McGwire QB San Diego State
                    1 24 Todd Marinovich QB Southern California
                    2 33 Brett Favre QB Southern Mississippi
                    2 34 Browning Nagle QB Louisville

1 6 David Klingler QB Houston
                    1 25 Tommy Maddox QB UCLA
                    2 40 Matt Blundin QB Virginia
                    2 46 Tony Sacca QB Penn State

1 1 Drew Bledsoe QB Washington State
                    1 2 Rick Mirer QB Notre Dame

1 3 Heath Shuler QB Tennessee
                    1 6 Trent Dilfer QB Fresno State

1 3 Steve McNair QB Alcorn State
                    1 5 Kerry Collins QB Penn State

2 42 Tony Banks QB Michigan State

1 26 Jim Druckenmiller QB Virginia Tech
                    2 42 Jake Plummer QB Arizona State

1 1 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee
                    1 2 Ryan Leaf QB Washington State
                    2 60 Charlie Batch QB Eastern Michigan
                    3 91 Brian Griese QB Michigan
                    6 187 Matt Hasselbeck QB Boston College

1 1 Tim Couch QB Kentucky
                    1 2 Donovan McNabb QB Syracuse
                    1 3 Akili Smith QB Oregon
                    1 11 Daunte Culpepper QB Central Florida
                    1 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA

1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall

1 1 Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech
                    2 32 Drew Brees QB Purdue
                    6 168 Marc Bulger QB West Virginia
                    6 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan

1 1 David Carr QB Fresno State
                    1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon
                    1 32 Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane
                    3 81 Josh McCown QB Sam Houston State

1 1 Carson Palmer QB Southern California
                    1 7 Byron Leftwich QB Marshall
                    1 19 Kyle Boller QB California
                    1 22 Rex Grossman QB Florida

1 1 Eli Manning QB Mississippi
                    1 4 Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State
                    1 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami, O.
                    1 22 J.P. Losman QB Tulane

1 1 Alex Smith QB Utah
                    1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California
                    1 25 Jason Campbell QB Auburn
                    3 67 Charlie Frye QB Akron

Not counting 2006.

The odds are he will not be that franchise QB that everyone dreams for.
                    I can personally say that any of the SEC quarterbacks mentioned above Cutler is better than. Yes, even the great Peyton. If someone wants to know how to stop Peyton call Woody Wodenhofer Vandy's last head coach and former defensive coordinator for the Steelers. Tennessee didn't get more than 14 points if that many the years VAndy played against Peyton.

Comment

I disagree until we start dedicating a #1 every second or third year like a Boston does our Defense while rated will not be a difference maker.

Boston has the luxury of getting 2-3 years of great play out of a rookie (cheap as compared to what we are paying for FA's) DL guy and if they turn out to be great they can match their price in FAgency or insert another great prospect into their hole, same goes for PHL. Both teams have cut loose a couple of almost pro bowlers cause they got to expensive and saw virtually no drop off in play from their defense.

That is what we should be doing. It is a PROVEN model, unlike our feeble attempt to patch holes each year on a LOUSY DL.

I actually don't mind that he went for cutler either other than we so sorely needed a differnce maker @ DT.
                      Good point, I see what you mean with them. however, there is just as much risk with a #1 DL pick as with any other player. I agree that when I was watching the draft, Cutler wasn't even on my mind. I was hoping they would pick DL myself. If they don't pick up a big FA at some point, then they had better use their first round pick on a pass rusher next year.

In the long run, I think this was a better choice for the club, but time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by vandyman53
                        I can personally say that any of the SEC quarterbacks mentioned above Cutler is better than. Yes, even the great Peyton. If someone wants to know how to stop Peyton call Woody Wodenhofer Vandy's last head coach and former defensive coordinator for the Steelers. Tennessee didn't get more than 14 points if that many the years VAndy played against Peyton.
                        That's confusing, can you explain?

Comment

Working...
                        X