Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tatum and Cutler moving up the depth chart

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tatum and Cutler moving up the depth chart

    Dove Valley Days: Aug. 4
    News, notes and anecdotes from training camp
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer

    Fieldwork

    What stood out about the morning session - other than an overall sloppy performance by the offense - was the steady but slight upward movement shown by tailback Tatum Bell and quarterback Jay Cutler. Each player is creeping up the depth chart via more repetitions. Tatum Bell is taking more repetitions away from starting tailback Ron Dayne and Cutler has eaten into some of No. 2 quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt's time. Broncos Coach Mike Shanahan said nothing should be read into that and there hasn't been any depth chart movement. However, that fact that Bell is working more often with the first team and Cutler is working more often the second team is a good development for them. Bell is still the No. 2 tailback and Cutler is still the No. 3 quarterback, but perhaps not for long.

    Meanwhile, as camp drags on, the defense is getting antsy to start pounding. In the morning session - Friday's afternoon workout was a special teams practice - linebacker Ian Gold slammed rookie tailback Mike Bell on the turf. Safety John Lynch ran up to Gold, looked down at the flattened Bell and asked, "Is he asleep, is he asleep?"

    Cutler watch

    Cutler showed his rocket arm in the morning practice by unleashing a 60-yard seed that was intended for fullback Kyle Johnson in the middle of the end zone. The ball was thrown a yard or two long, just out of Johnson's reach. One of the reasons why Denver took Cutler with the No. 11 picks from Vanderbilt is because of his arm strength. It was there on that play.
    TATERZZZ 0\/\//\/Z J00
    sigpic

  • #2
    Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
    TATERZZZ 0\/\//\/Z J00
    Well, it makes sense to me.

    All the reports seem to indicate that both Bell and Cutler are outplaying the guys ahead of them on the depth chart. The only way to tell if they deserve to move up is to actually use them more in those spots to see how they directly compare to their competition. Apples to apples.


    Also, it's exciting to hear about Cutler's cannon. I like Plummer but I do really miss those powerful downfield throws.


    The future's so bright, we gotta wear ...
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Javalon
      Well, it makes sense to me.

      All the reports seem to indicate that both Bell and Cutler are outplaying the guys ahead of them on the depth chart. The only way to tell if they deserve to move up is to actually use them more in those spots to see how they directly compare to their competition. Apples to apples.


      Also, it's exciting to hear about Cutler's cannon. I like Plummer but I do really miss those powerful downfield throws.


      The future's so bright, we gotta wear ...

      ya da ya da ya da,or maybe shanny wanted to mix the soup just to stir up all the
      players,,you know,keeping them HUNGRYYYYYY ,,,,,

      Comment


      • #4
        Good to hear.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by daynewillreign
          ya da ya da ya da,or maybe shanny wanted to mix the soup just to stir up all the
          players,,you know,keeping them HUNGRYYYYYY ,,,,,
          Oh, you mean, kid of like why he signed Dayne? Just to stir things up and make the others work harder....
          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by daynewillreign
            ya da ya da ya da,or maybe shanny wanted to mix the soup just to stir up all the
            players,,you know,keeping them HUNGRYYYYYY ,,,,,
            Well, I'm sure that's what you're hoping.

            But since I'm not leaning toward any of the players and just want the best player to win the job, I see it as a sign that the coaches are encouraged by those players' progress and want to see more of what they can do when higher up on the depth chart.

            It doesn't necessarily mean a permanent move is imminent but I do see it as indicative that the coaches like what they are seeing.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

            Comment


            • #7
              I like how they're all excited about Cutler overthrowing his receiver -_-

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                I like how they're all excited about Cutler overthrowing his receiver -_-
                Good point.


                However, he was throwing to a fullback and was only a yard or two off. If throwing to a full-fledged receiver, the guy should be much better able to make up that yard or two on the fly.

                It's nothing against Kyle Johnson but how often do you see fullbacks catching footballs 60 yards down the field?
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Man, it will be great to have a QB who can throw the ball deep again. Haven't had that since you-know-who.....

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Javalon
                    Good point.


                    However, he was throwing to a fullback and was only a yard or two off. If throwing to a full-fledged receiver, the guy should be much better able to make up that yard or two on the fly.

                    It's nothing against Kyle Johnson but how often do you see fullbacks catching footballs 60 yards down the field?

                    Very true, but this just shows how a reporter can spin a story any way they want.

                    I mean if it was Van Pelt throwing that ball, I would've bet the farm that it would've been like:" Van Pelt once again shows his lack of control, overthrowing a wide open Kyle Johnson."

                    As for Bell. I'm glad he's stepping up. All the Dayne homers running around dissing the Bells, makes me want him to succeed even more. It's amazing how so many people on this board cheer for a player rather than the team.
                    Last edited by dontfeedthenerd; 08-05-2006, 12:18 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Dayne was playing with the first team today. Cutler was playing with the third.

                      Tatum was running into his blockers. Didn't see the entire thing, because my vantage point was very poor for the first half of the practice. Maybe Tatum performed better then.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                        Very true, but this just shows how a reporter can spin a story any way they want.

                        I mean if it was Van Pelt throwing that ball, I would've bet the farm that it would've been like:" Van Pelt once again shows his lack of control, overthrowing a wide open Kyle Johnson."
                        Actually, if had been Van Pelt they would have mentioned how the pass was only off by about 10 yards.

                        (Sorry, I like BVP but his accuracy, or lack thereof, scares me a bit.)

                        As for Bell. I'm glad he's stepping up. All the Dayne homers running around dissing the Bells, makes me want him to succeed even more. It's amazing how so many people on this board cheer for a player rather than the team.
                        I hear you. I try really hard to not let the Dayne-fanatics actually make me root against Dayne. The fact is, I don't care who does the job as long as they do it well.

                        May the best man win the job!
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                          Very true, but this just shows how a reporter can spin a story any way they want.

                          I mean if it was Van Pelt throwing that ball, I would've bet the farm that it would've been like:" Van Pelt once again shows his lack of control, overthrowing a wide open Kyle Johnson."

                          As for Bell. I'm glad he's stepping up. All the Dayne homers running around dissing the Bells, makes me want him to succeed even more. It's amazing how so many people on this board cheer for a player rather than the team.

                          It's also true how many on this board show an obvious dislike for a player that will help the team.
                          As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

                          More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by daynewillreign
                            ya da ya da ya da,or maybe shanny wanted to mix the soup just to stir up all the
                            players,,you know,keeping them HUNGRYYYYYY ,,,,,
                            And maybe Shanahan is actually interested in see what these guys can do. He did actually spend the time to research and draft these two kids.
                            John 11: 25-27

                            My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                            Thanks Snk16

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                              Man, it will be great to have a QB who can throw the ball deep again. Haven't had that since you-know-who.....

                              I never thought Griese threw a great deep ball...
                              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X