Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From OrangeMane: Khan's Camp report 8/5 AM (possibly SoCal and Mediator later)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From OrangeMane: Khan's Camp report 8/5 AM (possibly SoCal and Mediator later)

Here is the link, but I will copy it in also:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...22&postcount=1

Hey guys. Just got back from running errands. We all had stuff to do right after camp. Mediator is spending time with his kids and SoCal is on an airplane so it'll just be me for now.

First news I'm sure you've already heard is that Gerrard Warren dislocated his toe. Al Wilson told me this right after practice. We saw him stuff a run and get buried under a pile and he started screaming. It wasn't his knee, thank goodness and if it is a dislocation he should be back in time for the season. Our run D was obviously worse without him in the game.

Rod and Hixon were the only guys out that I saw (including Nate Jackson), though Rod threw passes during route practices to the wide receivers. I tell you, Rod throws a nice ball. Very tight spiral. It was funny seeing him take snaps at QB.

It was a good practice and the last practice before the guys' day off tomorrow so they all went full steam and were really whacking each other around. I'm going to start with linebackers today because they really stood out and because I got a good look at them.

Oh, I did get to meet the real Coach Yoats (spelling?) from Remember the Titans. He coached Keith Burns in high school and was on the field today. It was crazy because he's a real down to earth funny guy and easy to talk to. He asked me "Who's that 87? He's pretty good!" So I told him about Kircus and how he worked at Subway. Anyway need little tidbit and there will likely be a story about it somewhere.

Linebackers - They all played very diciplined and were making plays all day long. They really filled their holes quickly and played mentally focused. People kept their assignments and hardly anyone had any runs today. A few fumbles and ints. The D is still doing a good job of trying to create turnovers and playing agressive.

DJ Williams: He made some nice plays and is starting to really catch on. Getting better at shedding blocks. He blew up a couple of runs in the backfield and isnt' getting lost in coverage. Needs to work on closing on the ball, but overall he played very aggresively.

Nate Webster: He blew some guys up today. The kid can play and they move him around quite a bit. He was getting some praise from his team. Really plays tough. He could start on another team.

Louis Green: Didn't see much from him today. It's not that he played poorly, he just didn't make any noise.

Al Wilson: Al dominated again. He was flying around the field and really blowing up the run. The run was not working like it usually does. Really impressed me. I usually ignore the pro-bowlers because I know they're good.

Ian Gold: Didn't see much of him though I did see Javon Walker do a great job of blocking him out of the play. That won't impress some of you, but I thought it was a great effort on Javon's part.

RB's

Cobbs: Cobbs was the surprise of the day. He was the only runner who really got anything done. He had some nice runs and made a few cutbacks. He completely obliterated Hamza Abdullah when he tried to tackle him straight on. Hamze fel backwards on his butt and Cobbs kept trucking. Part of it was they didn't play the first team D very much so the run defense wasn't as good against his unit (third team). Kenard Lang tackled him by his head with one arm flipped him over and after that he didn't run as hard.

Dayne: Dayne looked much better today. He seemed to play pretty hard and ran with some desire. I saw a couple runs where he gave a second effort that picked him up another yard. A little more burst through the whole too.

Tatum: Didn't have a great day. Repeatedly got owned behind the LOS and didn't move the pile. Again, the rush defense was phenominal today but he seemed to struggle against it more than any of the other backs. Kenard Lang absolutely destroyed him on one run and with only one arm (again), too.

Mike Bell: Looked very average. Still hit the hole the best, well there weren't any holes but he did run to the areas where the O-line got the deepest penetration. Was able to pound through but he didn't do much.

Nash: Played great. He's better than Marty Johnson was. Made some nifty moves and looked alright.

D-Line: They played very well. This unit really made the backers look good but made some plays of their own.

Kenard Lang: Boy was he monster today. Not as great in the pass rush but really did some amazing things in the run game that I mentioned earlier. He's agressive and hard for people to stop when he's closing on the ball carrier. It was cool to see him come out.

Ekuban: Also made some nice tackles and got good preasure. More presure than I expected out of him.

Cory Jackson: This good destroyed a play in the backfield. He did better in the run than I usually see him do. One of the most consistant guys when it comes to pass rush. I think he could be a good 6-8 sack guy for us. I'm amazed that he's so unexperienced and plays so well.

Dumervil: Was in the backfield most of the time. The kid has skills and is quick. Really was key to the run D being so dominat and forced some sacks.

Next: DB's
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

The DB's - Dare I say that our coverage is going to better this year than last year? Well in lieu of how we'd get beat sometimes, I suppose that's not a reach, but they are all starting to really play well together as a unit. They all looked good so here's the guys that stood out.

Bailey: Pick six. Shaded the inside of the receiver, read Plummer like a book and jumped the route taking it to the house. Great play. He had single coverage, but I still wouldn't throw to that man unless I absolutely had to. Played great in run support and Slowik never really talked to him about anything.

Lynch: Destroyed Darius Watts. He was running behind Darius on a slant and as soon as the pass hit Watts' hads Lynch laid him out and he dropped it. Played exceptional in the run game and was especially good in the redzone drills.

Hamza Abdullah: He was playing great, especially these last few practices and then he started getting blasted. He's 6-2 and 213 so it's not like he's small. Just seemed to struggle in some areas.

Cox: Palyed well in coverage and they rarely threw to his side. He did get beat for a TD when Jake Connected with Scheffler in the Red Zone.

Fox: He was playing left corner today and D-wil was the nickle back. Played great too. Broke up several plays and made some hard hits. I'm excited to see both these guys on the field with Champ this season.

D-Wil: Was relegated to nickle back for some of the snaps. Broke up a great pass and He made some nice plays in the rushing attack.

Paymah: He is great in man coverage. On one play he was running step-for-step down field on a go with Marshall. Marshall leaped into the air to try and snag it and Paymah went up with him and knocked it down. He was in the same situation later with Brian Clark except Clark made the catch. He's doing better in zone and had a sack on Plummer when they blitzed him.

QB's

Another so-so day. Guys were checking down a lot and they were having trouble finding guys open.

BVP: Looked so-so. He can't throw a fade route to save his life and he can't throw on the run very well. Not that terrific.

Cutler: He throws a beautiful fade. Did well overall but when his passes are off, they tend to be a little bit high. There were some where the receiver didn't make the effort but others were off kileter. He did run the ball in for a TD on a rollout when no one was open. Chukwurah was closing but got around the corner and scored. He's pretty fast.

Jake: Man, sometimes he is right on and other times his passes are off. I'm hoping it's the receivers on the intermediate stuff. He still doesn't really have any accuracy down field deep. I hope he'll keep working on that.

Parsons: He is a very solid Qb and has been IMO the most consistant of all four. Now he isn't that great, but he's been consistant and I hope he has a good preseason because he deserves to make a teams somewhere.

Rod Smith: Made some great passes. Throws a pretty ball and more accurate than you'd think. It was so funny seeing him out there but his motion is pretty good.

Wideouts:

They played so-so. Coverage was good and most of them were hit at some point during the catch. The defense is still doing a great job of defending against the tight ends.

Kircus: He had another "Kircus: catch where he got flipped over when he was hit after the catch. Made some nice snags. He reminds me of Tim Dwight and could be a fun dynamic in our passing game.

Marshall: These last two days Marshall has made some mental errors. He'll make a couple of nice grabs and get some nice yards after the catch and then he'll drop one. He needs to focus. He is still running with the first team in Rod's absence.

Javon Walker: He is pro-bowl material for sure. Made a grab that Jake threw WAY behind him and he just reached bak and snagged it. He's hard to cover, too. Very physical and when he runs he wastes no motion. As I've said before he just makes it look effortless when he does it.

Terrell: Another solid, yet unremarkable day. I really think he'll be the number three. He doesn't make mental errors and catches the ball. Does he have any game breaking ability? No. He's unremarkable athletically, but reliable. Exactly the kind of guy Shanahan wants at number three.

Brian Clark: Get on the Brian Clark bandwagon (if you aren't already on the Kircus wagon). Made some tough grabs and is quite fast. He can catch the ball in traffic and not get killed. Playing his way up the chart. Played on the second team.

Watts: Drops. One was Lynch killing him, but the other was him not bringing it in and Roc tackled him enough to shake it loose. I don't have a lot of confidence in him being consistant enough to start.

Scheffler: Did better today. He made some very difficult catches and showed off his athleticism. He is a sacary threat in the Redzone. At 6'5", it's hard to out jump him - especially with his hads as good as they are.

Nate Jackson: He played ok. Would be a solid backup if he wasn't injured all year long.

Alexander: A drop and it wasn't one that you should drop. Alexander is hard-working, technically sound play that isn't very physically gifted.

Chad Mustard: Maybe the best blocking tight end we have. Really gets great push. You can see why the staff wanted to move him to tackle. He couldn't bring in a pass that he got killed on.

Elam kicked some field goals and ran some trick plays where he lines up like he's going to kick it and then punts it. His punts weren't very good. Two touchbacks and two went out at the thirty-two yardline or so.

He made every field goal including one from 58 yards, though it didn't look like he was thrilled to be attempting it.

Overall stuff:

In move they ran two-minute drills at the end of practice and the defense stopped all three teams. BVP teams' got sacked, Jakes was stopped in the run game on fourth and Cutler completed a pass to Kircus but he was tackled two yards short of the first down marker on fourth down.

They are still working a ton of third down and redzone stuff. Hopefully it improves as well as the scoring and turnover work did last year.
    Last edited by tnedator; 08-05-2006, 02:12 PM.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Ok, fully posted.

Once again, a big thank you to Kaylore and the Orangemane crew that has been providing such great training camp reports.
      Last edited by tnedator; 08-05-2006, 02:13 PM.

sigpic

Comment

DJ is at it again. I'm glad I adopted him. I can't wait to see what Kaylore has on the qbs.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
          DJ is at it again. I'm glad I adopted him. I can't wait to see what Kaylore has on the qbs.
          I'm beginnig to wonder if my adopted Bronco will make it through the first round of cuts. I decided to adopt a longshot, but I may be childless going into the season.

sigpic

Comment

I know Rod is injured, but if they are giving him a significant amount of reps at QB, then it almost makes me think that we are going with 2 QB's again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
              I know Rod is injured, but if they are giving him a significant amount of reps at QB, then it almost makes me think that we are going with 2 QB's again this year.
              Possibly, or because we have so many WR's, they were just trying to get them all work.

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.

And for a change, Rod the QB would actually have somebody to throw to with Rod the Receiver not running routes. I like how our receivers are looking this year.

My only concern with going with just two QBs is that I don't believe we have a young QB with practice squad eligibility to keep around in case of emergencies.
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                  I'm beginnig to wonder if my adopted Bronco will make it through the first round of cuts. I decided to adopt a longshot, but I may be childless going into the season.
                  Isn't there a rule that no Bronco fan will go childless except by choice?

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                    Dumervil: Was in the backfield most of the time. The kid has skills and is quick. Really was key to the run D being so dominat and forced some sacks.
                    Man I really hope he becomes a star in this league. I love this kid. great to hear someone talking about him positively....not that others weren't already doing so

"Little Pads. Big Hits. Huge heart." - tnedator

This play is the reason I'm a DENVER BRONCOS fan

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                      I was thinking the same thing.

And for a change, Rod the QB would actually have somebody to throw to with Rod the Receiver not running routes. I like how our receivers are looking this year.

My only concern with going with just two QBs is that I don't believe we have a young QB with practice squad eligibility to keep around in case of emergencies.
                      That thought crossed my mind as well but I quickly set aside thinking Rod is the emergency qb getting reps.

We still have Parsons on the squad. If Shanahan is seeing what our fan reporters are seeing maybe he'll stick, of coarse that would mean Van Pelt is history.
                      Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-05-2006, 03:02 PM.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Woah! Guys calm down. Rod wasn't taking snaps during team drills, just receiver position drills. I think he was just out there trying to help since he couldn't go. Don't read too much into him passing the ball this morning.
                        KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore
                          Woah! Guys calm down. Rod wasn't taking snaps during team drills, just receiver position drills. I think he was just out there trying to help since he couldn't go. Don't read too much into him passing the ball this morning.

Ohhh OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Let me ask you this,

Have you noticed if the Broncos are praticing more multi receiver plays this TC than others?

I figured with our depth at reciever and the addition of Heimerdinger, we'd be using alot more multi-reciver sets than we have in the past.

Comment

Ohhh OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Let me ask you this,

Have you noticed if the Broncos are praticing more multi receiver plays this TC than others?

I figured with our depth at reciever and the addition of Heimerdinger, we'd be using alot more multi-reciver sets than we have in the past.

From what I saw, they were running primarily three-receiver sets yesterday.

Also:

Champ's pick was against Javon Walker

Curome Cox had two very nice pass break-ups, displaying good timing on the ball. He was pretty impressive in that aspect.

Todd Devoe displayed good hands and body control in the corner fade route drills.

Brandon Marshall is a freaking HUGE receiver. He makes the other guys look like pop-warner candidates. And I don't mean fat; most of his bulk is in his thighs, and he looks like he's going to be a tough one to bring down...arm tackle's ain't gonna do it.

I missed a lot of the earlier stuff due to a crappy vantage point from the far corner, but midway through the practice I moved up to the sidelines and could see much better. It was my first training camp experience, though, and was pretty fun.

Comment

Working...
                            X