Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutler moved up to #2 on depth Chart. (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler moved up to #2 on depth Chart. (Merged)

Updated: Aug. 7, 2006, 1:41 PM ET
    Mike Bell will be No. 1 RB for preseason openerAssociated Press

DENVER -- The Broncos said Monday that undrafted rookie Mike Bell is now the No. 1 running back headed into the preseason opener this week at Detroit.

Denver's coaching staff also said top draft pick Jay Cutler from Vanderbilt has been elevated to No. 2 behind starter Jake Plummer. That puts Cutler ahead of former Colorado State star Bradlee Van Pelt.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2542300
    So whats this mean for Van Pelt? Does Shanahan keep three on the roster, or does he continue to do what he's done in the last few years, and only keep 2?

Its good news... it shows that our young QB is making good strides early.

I won't be surprised to see Shanahan carry only 2 into the season. I cannot wait to see Cutler play.
    Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

I think this spells the end for BVP. And whats with this Mike Bell thing? Is it a head game for Dayne and Tater?

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
        So whats this mean for Van Pelt? Does Shanahan keep three on the roster, or does he continue to do what he's done in the last few years, and only keep 2?

Just let Van Pelt sit in the free agency, who would pick him up and rob us of his great oppurtunities?

If Cutler can be an effective back up, I would rather have the roster spot used somewhere else.

It's good that Cutler is progressing.... let's think of it this way.

If we can make it to the AFC Championship with Jake, and if Cutler can eventually proove he is better than Jake, then it makes sense to me that the broncos are ready to push to the big game again.

Or Jake can make it there as long as he shows up and as long as everyone else shows up, line, defense, Coyer, etc. I truly think we could win this year and we could have last year if we showed up to every game with the best ability we have, we can win. Hopefully we'll do better this year, and for every year after that.
        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

van Pelt might be getting the boot... but I remember we kept Jarious Jackson, who is a lot like van Pelt, around simply due to his athleticism. So we might do the same with van Pelt (for at least a year)...

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
          - Carl Sagan

Comment

I hope they keep BVP, but a good chance they will not, depending on depth at other positions. I wish BVP would consider converting to TE, where I think he would do very well.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Hard to say. Shanahan is on record with saying one of the main reasons he has gone with two was last season he had Kanell sitting at home waiting for the call, and the year before he had the rooks on the practice squad.

The question is whether or not he thinks he will be in the same position, or will risk truly only going with two QB's and no safety net.
              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Straz1999
                I think this spells the end for BVP. And whats with this Mike Bell thing? Is it a head game for Dayne and Tater?
                No.. I think he's earned the starting job. I don't think its a motivational thing at all. When it comes to running backs.. I think any man on the field can make it in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                  Hard to say. Shanahan is on record with saying one of the main reasons he has gone with two was last season he had Kanell sitting at home waiting for the call, and the year before he had the rooks on the practice squad.

The question is whether or not he thinks he will be in the same position, or will risk truly only going with two QB's and no safety net.
                  yeah.. or if he thinks that anyone would pick up Van Pelt from waivers. It comes down to the odds. If no one is going to pick up Van Pelt from waivers... than it doesn't make sense to let him keep a roster spot.

How many times in a game does a team lose the first AND the 2nd QB? Rarely. If they do... they are dead in the water anyway. So having that third QB on the roster always seemed like a complete unneccessary luxury to me.. UNTIL that first QB goes down.

Since most of the time, your starting QB will miss some games due to injury....its a tough call.

Comment

yeah.. or if he thinks that anyone would pick up Van Pelt from waivers. It comes down to the odds. If no one is going to pick up Van Pelt from waivers... than it doesn't make sense to let him keep a roster spot.

How many times in a game does a team lose the first AND the 2nd QB? Rarely. If they do... they are dead in the water anyway. So having that third QB on the roster always seemed like a complete unneccessary luxury to me.. UNTIL that first QB goes down.

Since most of the time, your starting QB will miss some games due to injury....its a tough call.
                    We have Rod Smith if all the QB's go down anyways!

Comment

It could mean that but I personally would be much more comfortable holding on to BVP at least for this year because he is experienced in our offenses. However, I have no problem with Cutler being our number 2 this year.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

How many times in a game does a team lose the first AND the 2nd QB? Rarely.
                        And if we do, we'll have to Rod to Javon connection to keep the passing game alive.

But seriously, if Cutler's move up to #2 is permanent, I think Shanny will go with just two QBs again. Roster spots are at a premium and if we keep 3 QBs, somebody else we don't want to lose will get the axe.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
                          We have Rod Smith if all the QB's go down anyways!
                          Which the last couple years would have been a problem, since if Rod wasn't running routes, who would he throw to? Himself?

While it goes against some recent trends to have rookies start or even play at all in a backup role, I hope the Broncos make Cutler number two.

I would love to see them put him in the game for mop up duty, and then at the end of the season, when hopefully we have things clinched and have some meaningless games. This should put him in a much better position to compete next training camp, or repeat the whole process again next year, and put him in a position to compete/win the job in '08.
                          The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Go Cutler go!!!

----------------------------------------------
                            I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                              Which the last couple years would have been a problem, since if Rod wasn't running routes, who would he throw to? Himself?
                              Ha, he has Javon and Marshall now! He could also just toss it up and run out to grab it himself.

I played a game of Madden against a friend once and had all 3 of my QB's go down in the AFCCG. I ended up having to use Rod as the QB because he had the best QB stats out of everyone else in that year. It was only for the 4th quarter and I was already up by two touchdowns though so I just ran the ball a lot. I'm sure if we ran out of QB's that is all you would see us do is run a ton and maybe a few pitches or 2 yard passes to the TE and FB.

I don't care if they do only keep 2 QB's because it isn't likely that both go down in the same game and I don't see BVP getting picked up from free agency so we could just go grab him right after one goes down and use him as backup again.

Comment

Working...
                              X