Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN's Seth Wickersham notes on Broncos training camp (T. Bell is pissed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's Seth Wickersham notes on Broncos training camp (T. Bell is pissed)

Shanahan rewards undrafted Bell
    posted: Monday, August 7, 2006 | Feedback | Print Entry
    filed under: Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers

Random notes from Broncos, Niners and Raiders camps.

• Weird to see who followed Mike Shanahan on the podium after Broncos practice today. It was tailback Mike Bell, an undrafted rookie from Arizona who Shanahan had just anointed as the first-team back after 25 practices.

Bell flew under the radar a bit after four productive years on crappy Wildcat teams that featured him and not much else. He finished his career in Tucson as the Wildcats' No. 4 all-time leading rusher and was the only player in school history to lead Arizona in rushing all four years. Denver could have drafted him but passed, and by the seventh round the Broncos had called Bell's agent, Steve Feldman, with news that they'd sign him to a free-agent deal as soon as the draft ended. Feldman told Bell, who computed quickly that he wanted Feldman to dissuade teams from picking him.

"It was a hard decision," Bell said to me as he sat on a bench after Monday's morning practice. "Do I take the money or the team I want to play for? I decided this would be the best place for me."

Denver is the best place for a lot of running backs. When I saw Bell taking snaps with the first teamers on Monday, I half wondered if Shanahan put Bell in there for shock value. You know, out of boredom. I've turned so many late-rounders into 1,500-yard rushers. I've got job security. Screw it, let's see if I can do it with an undrafted guy.

"No, that wasn't it," Shanahan said after I told him of my theory. "He's had the best practices."

Bell has impressed Denver coaches with his decisiveness in hitting the hole and elusiveness once he's in the secondary. That's why he's gone from fourth string to unseating two guys, Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne, who entered camp competing for the top job.

Mike Bell arrived in Denver on May 15, a week after signing, and located DVDs of every game the Broncos played last year. He studied each one of them, over and over, until he'd gotten a base of knowledge of how Denver wants its tailbacks to play. Then, as camp started, Bell simply promised himself he'd "bust his butt no matter what happened, and never make the same mistake twice."

So far, he is. It doesn't mean that Bell is a lock to start the season, but what Shanahan did says a lot: He knows what Tatum Bell and Dayne can do.

He wants to see what he's got in the new guy.

• Tatum Bell isn't happy about being demoted. "Man, I'm still pissed," he told me in the hallways of the Broncos complex. "I felt like this is the best camp I've had. And now, it's a like a slap in the face."

Bell says Shanahan called him Sunday with the news that he'd been pushed down. He said that he knows that "when I do get the starting job, I'm not going to let it go because I'll have earned it."

• Denver's stars aren't getting a lot of action so far in camp. During seven-on-seven drills, Jake Plummer was taking snaps with Mike Bell, Brandon Marshall, Darius Watts and David Kircus. However, Shanahan seems confident that guys like Javon Walker and Rod Smith will be ready to go once the season rolls around.

• It's clear Plummer has a better grasp of the offense than rookie first-rounder Jay Cutler. Still, as I watched practice I wondered if the fans on hand were itching to see what Cutler can do. In Monday morning's practice he threw two lasers on skinny posts between defenders for big gains. The crowd blew up each time. But Plummer looked good, too, doing his usual bootlegging and finding the open guy.

Still, Broncos fans have to have some serious reservations about whether Plummer can take this talented team to a Super Bowl. Look at the splits between Plummer's regular season and postseason in Denver. In three games, Plummer has a 5/6 TD:INT ratio (compared with 60/34 in the regular season) and is sacked an average of 2.5 times to only 1.1 during September to December.

Not all of the Broncos problems are Plummer's fault, of course. But those numbers don't exactly inspire you.

• Odd fact I learned: Mike Shanahan finishes his workout every morning by 6 a.m.

• On another Shanahan note, his son Kyle is the receivers coach for the Texans, working for Gary Kubiak. Kyle finished at the University of Texas in 2002, so he's probably in his late 20s by now. To be a position coach in the NFL at that age is pretty impressive. He could be the next Eric Mangini in a few years.

• I think Denver is still the best team in the AFC West. San Diego and Kansas City are capable of beating the Broncos, but I doubt they'll be as consistent. In Denver, you know what team you're getting because you've seen most of the players for years.

• I was born in Denver and grew up in Boulder before my family moved to Alaska in the mid-80s. I cannot believe how much the 25-mile stretch between Denver and Boulder has grown. It used to be miles of farmland. Now there's every kind of chain restaurant you can imagine, not to mention lots of office buildings and even a hockey arena.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog..._seth#20060807

I have to say that I'm glad that the Tater isn't happy with M. Bell moving to the first team. I hope he keeps working to get better. Odds are that we'll need 2 (or 3) of those to contribute this year.

I do think it's funny with the 2 completely different reactions that T. Bell and Dayne had with M. Bell getting promoted. Dayne is supportive of Mike but Tatum is just bitter.
    R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Originally posted by ECBronco

I have to say that I'm glad that the Tater isn't happy with M. Bell moving to the first team. I hope he keeps working to get better. Odds are that we'll need 2 (or 3) of those to contribute this year.

I do think it's funny with the 2 completely different reactions that T. Bell and Dayne had with M. Bell getting promoted. Dayne is supportive of Mike but Tatum is just bitter.
    this will sure make tatum bell work even harder...i think he will start.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ECBronco

Agreed. I'm glad Tatum is bitter. I wouldn't say that he's ever had problems with giving 100%, and this will only make him work harder. But, like someone else said in another thread, Dayne has been a career backup...he's used to disappointment. That and he seems like a pretty laid back guy.

Bell says Shanahan called him Sunday with the news that he'd been pushed down. He said that he knows that "when I do get the starting job, I'm not going to let it go because I'll have earned it."
      It's good to see that he's got the right attitude on this. Like I said earlier, I've got my money on Tatum winning the job back in pre-season...I'm not buying into the Mike Bell hype yet.

Comment

Bell

Coach just likes to mix things up. You know throw the sent off a little.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
          It's good to see that he's got the right attitude on this. Like I said earlier, I've got my money on Tatum winning the job back in pre-season...I'm not buying into the Mike Bell hype yet.
          You'll be buying into the Mike Bell hype soon enough

Tatum Bell isn't happy about being demoted. "Man, I'm still pissed," he told me in the hallways of the Broncos complex. "I felt like this is the best camp I've had. And now, it's a like a slap in the face."
          I guess your best isn't enough to beat out a UDFA, now is it?
          sigpic

Comment

Thats the NFL for ya. Besides no one has seen what MB can do in a real game yet. He could chock or just not be good in a real game. We'll have to see how it plays out in the long run. If MB is better then both TB and RD then hats off to him and the broncos for finding a good rookie.

Comment

Well, if Tatum has a better pre season he could still take the job.

As it is, he probably is still the change of pace back (just maybe not as much).

Comment

It's early yet! C'mon yall we have yet to even play a pre season game. What does it matter the real praise should go to the O line.

Comment

This is fantastic, not only do you have an RB in Mike Bell who will work his butt of to get the touches, but now you have Tatum, who at one point wouldn't have to do much to get the starting job, now has to improve ever more than before. Shannahan is really going somewhere with this. i think we could see a Bell/Bell tandem by the start of the season.
                  Blet

Comment

Well, its still early you never know what may happen. Hopefully he can get over it and work harder, we dont need anymore "disgruntled" people in Denver.
                    ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                      You'll be buying into the Mike Bell hype soon enough

I guess your best isn't enough to beat out a UDFA, now is it?
                      Ahhh, thanks for that RTB. I've been wondering though, weren't you one of the more prominent Mike Bell bashers...like only a week ago?

I'll say this for the 60th time...it's not over 'til it's over. Call me when the season starts...

Comment

Ahhh, thanks for that RTB. I've been wondering though, weren't you one of the more prominent Mike Bell bashers...like only a week ago?

I'll say this for the 60th time...it's not over 'til it's over. Call me when the season starts...
                        I didn't bash Mike Bell, I never HATED him, just didn't feel that he could make the team... Proved me wrong though...

And I'm not bashing Tatum -- he's just got to show more damn work ethic... The starting job just isn't going to fall into his lap without him doing anything
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                          I didn't bash Mike Bell, I never HATED him, just didn't feel that he could make the team... Proved me wrong though...

And I'm not bashing Tatum -- he's just got to show more damn work ethic... The starting job just isn't going to fall into his lap without him doing anything
                          Ahhh...thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure if Tatum's work ethic is in question here. I'm under the impression that Mike Bell was just really impressive in camp. Sounds like he's earned his promotion. I just don't think he can keep it just yet. If he does go into the season no. 1, it'll be a once-in-a hundred-years type of thing...a rarity to say the least.

Comment

If he does go into the season no. 1, it'll be a once-in-a hundred-years type of thing...a rarity to say the least.
                            And maybe that's the exact reason that I feel so excited about this kid and have been acting kind of "homerish" towards him.

Because of the fact that we could make history, because of the fact that it would solidify Mike Shanahans alias as the best coach to find RBs, because of the fact that we could have another Portis/TD on our hands... There's just so many possibilities, I'm pulling and praying that he could on.

I'm going to support whoever starts, but Mike Bell starting would be a great situation
                            sigpic

Comment

Ahhh...thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure if Tatum's work ethic is in question here. I'm under the impression that Mike Bell was just really impressive in camp. Sounds like he's earned his promotion. I just don't think he can keep it just yet. If he does go into the season no. 1, it'll be a once-in-a hundred-years type of thing...a rarity to say the least.
                              I'm sure you know this and all, but remember that TD was a sixth rounder and sixth on the depth chart going into camp, but he managed to earn the job by opening day. So it's a rarity in the NFL, but very possible on the Broncos.

As for Bell, I'm not really on the bandwagon just yet, but when someone pointed out back in December how perfect he'd be in this system and myself and others started to realize it, well ... let's just say this wasn't entirely unexpected (if not a little sooner than expected).
                              A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Working...
                              X