Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    In today's NFL, you need more than one good running back. Even if you have a primary carrier who will take a majority of the carries, you will want to have another back who brings something different than that back and who can spell him when he's winded.

Tatum Bell is a great change of pace back. If he simply remains that guy that can break one at any time, I'd still love to keep him on our team. Of course, I hope that he can also push the pile pretty well, but you just have to love his explosiveness.

I made a thread about this awhile back, but I honestly think that having a running back by committee system is a strategic advantage. If you have multiple backs that are good enough, not playing them both significantly would be foolish. Having both Mike Bell and Tatum Bell would be a pain in the ass to game plan against. On one hand, you have to be ready to take down a bruiser who can still get good yardage, but who will wear out the defense. And then after they're worn out a bit, you have to be ready to stop a speedster who is apt to break it for a touchdown on any play.

Unless you can find a running back who is able to do both consistently and take the beating, running back by committee is a great approach.

It worked fantastic for us. Our running game outpaced all of the running games out there with an elite back. We outran the Chiefs who have a damn good line and a great back. We outran the Chargers and the Seahawks (Well, that one was close). The point is that running back by committee works absolutely fantastic. Even if Mike Bell proves himself worthy of being an elite back, he'll need to be spelled, and having a speedster like Tatum Bell to do it is a great luxury.

As for his comments in the paper, so what?? He's frustrated. He feels slighted and he expressed himself, but he also expressed the desire to bust his ass and compete, so I don't hold it against him. He thinks he's damn good and as a back to almost gain 1000 yards as a backup with a league leading per carry average, he has a right to think highly of himself (I actually like cocky football players as long as they aren't jerks about it.).

Leave a comment:

• Broncs453
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    Mountain out of a molehill, folks. Bell's not going anywhere.
    Quoted for the absolute truth

Leave a comment:

• HolyDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mellow Mood
    or how about the JETS

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

The search for a running back to replace Curtis Martin grows broader with each day he sits on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

The Jets interest now extends to Artose Pinner of the Lions and Tatum Bell of the Broncos. Arizona running back Marcel Shipp had been mentioned, but yesterday his agent, Brad Blank, said he doubted such a deal was in the works.

Coach Eric Mangini said Martin's rehabilitation continues after December surgery on his right knee, which recently has been described as having a "bone-on-bone" condition. Mangini said Martin has been to every meeting, weigh-in and mandatory dinner and made every curfew. "He's doing everything we ask him to do," Mangini said.

The Jets waived WR C.J. Fayton and signed WRs Curtis Williams and Mario Hill ... Mangini said S Erik Coleman, who had his appendix removed, will have to re-earn his starting position.
    Tatum Bell running behind Rookies Nick Mangold and D'Brickshaw Feguson could be a good combo in the near future. ........................If Curtis Martin has bone on bone in his knee, meaning he has no cartilage left. He's history. No way in hell you can play though that. And no surgery can correct that.................without stem cell research, we won't have the ablility to take a conditiion like Martin's, and regrow his knee cartilage.......................But I think trading Bell at this point would be a mistake. We need to see what Mike Bell can do in games to tell for sure if he's truly our guy.

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Mood
    replied
    or how about the JETS

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

The search for a running back to replace Curtis Martin grows broader with each day he sits on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

The Jets interest now extends to Artose Pinner of the Lions and Tatum Bell of the Broncos. Arizona running back Marcel Shipp had been mentioned, but yesterday his agent, Brad Blank, said he doubted such a deal was in the works.

Coach Eric Mangini said Martin's rehabilitation continues after December surgery on his right knee, which recently has been described as having a "bone-on-bone" condition. Mangini said Martin has been to every meeting, weigh-in and mandatory dinner and made every curfew. "He's doing everything we ask him to do," Mangini said.

The Jets waived WR C.J. Fayton and signed WRs Curtis Williams and Mario Hill ... Mangini said S Erik Coleman, who had his appendix removed, will have to re-earn his starting position.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Tatum said that he didn't think that the coaches or someone in the front office trusted him to be the main guy. I'm too lazy to go back and make a direct quote of his comments, but he made it out like he was getting screwed out of the starting spot.

So yes, he pretty much is making accusations that someone doesn't want him to be the starter, and he doesn't know if it's the coaching staff or someone if the front office. Maybe it IS the coaching staff. Maybe they don't want a RB that has been fumbling the ball, or a RB that can't hit the hole with authority, or a RB that can't pick up yards after contact. Tatum isn't getting screwed by anyone but himself. He needs to get alot tougher as a runner, and on a mental level. Read my sig about what Mike Bell did to get ready for the BRONCOS running style. Tatum wants his job handed to him based on what.....seniority??

I love this line in this story: "I've shown I can carry the ball and whatever. And I was even showing a little more that I haven't shown," he said. "But they're more impressed with (Mike) than they are me." Well Tatum, maybe you need to let it all hang out. Maybe you should show them EVERYTHING you have. Wow...you have "shown you can carry the ball and whatever". Beautiful...especially the "and whatever" part. Whatever indeed.
    All that Tatum said, is what the media and people on this forum have been saying, that Shanny and the coaching staff seem like they don't have faith he can carry the ball 25+ times a game.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by tommy1986
    It's a trait of RB's with the last name of "Bell".
    ...too true.

Leave a comment:

• tommy1986
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    ...hey...Mike Bell said whatever in his first bronco interview.

It's a trait of RB's with the last name of "Bell".

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
    Tatum said that he didn't think that the coaches or someone in the front office trusted him to be the main guy. I'm too lazy to go back and make a direct quote of his comments, but he made it out like he was getting screwed out of the starting spot.

EDIT: Ok, so I'm not so lazy. Here's a direct quote from Tatum Bab..uh Bell:

So yes, he pretty much is making accusations that someone doesn't want him to be the starter, and he doesn't know if it's the coaching staff or someone if the front office. Maybe it IS the coaching staff. Maybe they don't want a RB that has been fumbling the ball, or a RB that can't hit the hole with authority, or a RB that can't pick up yards after contact. Tatum isn't getting screwed by anyone but himself. He needs to get alot tougher as a runner, and on a mental level. Read my sig about what Mike Bell did to get ready for the BRONCOS running style. Tatum wants his job handed to him based on what.....seniority??

I love this line in this story: "I've shown I can carry the ball and whatever. And I was even showing a little more that I haven't shown," he said. "But they're more impressed with (Mike) than they are me." Well Tatum, maybe you need to let it all hang out. Maybe you should show them EVERYTHING you have. Wow...you have "shown you can carry the ball and whatever". Beautiful...especially the "and whatever" part. Whatever indeed.
    ...hey...Mike Bell said whatever in his first bronco interview.

Leave a comment:

• tommy1986
    replied
    I see Tatum playing out the rest of his contract and then leaving as a free-agent.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMMERFAN16
    replied

EDIT: Ok, so I'm not so lazy. Here's a direct quote from Tatum Bab..uh Bell:

"They don't think I can be the man, period," he said flatly. "They don't think I can do 25 carries."

In Bell's opinion, the organization only has faith in him to be a back that logs 10 to 12 attempts a game, nothing more.

"They don't trust me," he said, adding he is unsure whether that person is coach Mike Shanahan, running backs coach Bobby Turner or someone else making decisions in the front office.

And, he believes, that mind-set doesn't figure to change anytime soon, though he has not completely given up hope.

"I'm going to keep fighting for it, and I've got it in the back of my mind that I'm going to be the man, but in reality, it ain't worked like that in three years," Bell said. "It's a long season. Anything can happen and Mike's looking good, I'm not taking nothing from him. But I feel like I should be the No. 1 - to be named the starter and then lose it. I don't know, man. I'm still (ticked) off about it."

Bell had been No. 2 behind Ron Dayne before the coaching staff inserted Mike Bell, an undrafted free agent, as starter and dropped Dayne to No. 3.

The group was informed of the moves Sunday and the depth chart became public Monday.

Tatum Bell recalled thinking when Shanahan began to alert him the backfield had been "re-evaluated" that he finally had reached his elusive goal to become the starter.

Instead, he was blindsided, particularly because he had worked diligently during the offseason and felt he had made strides this summer.

"I've been having one of my best camps," he said.

Bell admittedly has had a few critical fumbles during training camp, including one with the offense backed up on its 2-yard line Tuesday that was recovered by the defense for a touchdown.

But in other areas, such as blitz pickup, making the proper reads, catching the ball and keeping mental busts to a minimum, it's Bell's feeling he has shown consistency.

Perhaps, he surmised, the prevailing notion is he still is not running strong enough for a promotion.

"I've shown I can carry the ball and whatever. And I was even showing a little more that I haven't shown," he said. "But they're more impressed with (Mike) than they are me."

The decision, which Shanahan has insisted is fluid pending more preseason study of performances, marks the fourth time Bell thought he had reached the pinnacle only to be let down.

As a rookie in 2003, fullback Reuben Droughns passed him to become a workhorse runner after Quentin Griffin got hurt, a move he said he didn't quite understand.

Mike Anderson became the primary back last season, with Bell reiterating Tuesday a previous complaint he "hardly got any reps" with the first unit to make it a contest.

But after rushing for 921 yards in a reserve role and Anderson getting released, he felt his shot had arrived this offseason. Only Bell was bypassed again as Dayne entered camp as the No. 1.

"I was like, 'OK, I've got to work through this,' " Bell said.

Now, this latest turn of events, which is "the hardest" of all to swallow.

General manager Ted Sundquist insisted the team has faith in Bell.

"We wouldn't have taken Tatum in the second round if we didn't feel like he didn't have the tools to get the job done in our system," he said. "And he's shown that over the course of his first two years."

The running back promised he'll continue competing hard to pass Mike Bell, stay focused and "worry about me," even if he is unsure about just how open the job competition is currently.

He might even inject some of his anger into his future performances.

"All I can do is keep fighting," Tatum Bell said. "It ain't like I've never been in this situation before, so all I can do is keep going through it. And I feel like once I get the job, or if I get it, I feel like it's mine forever and that I really earned it and ain't nothing given to me."

[email protected]

Last edited by PLUMMERFAN16; 08-09-2006, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rich_thunder
    replied
    I am curious as to why this is getting blown way outta porportion. He is upset that he is working hard but is being outperformed by Mike Bell. He never lashed out at the coaching staff or was outwardly rude about the decision. He said that he understood and was trying his best.

A trade? That is just a crazy idea...why would we wanna trade him? Cause he is a little P.O. 'd his hard work isnt paying off?

...wow...

no offense...but that could be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while...wanna trade Jake away now that we have Jay? Cause it seems we should have more confidence in an unproven rookie than a veteran of sorts...correct?
    Last edited by rich_thunder; 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Orange_Crush21
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField
    As I expected, Tatum Bell reacted to the news of Mike Bell's promotion with less than complimentary comments about the Broncos staff....Mike Shanahan has had less than zero patience for public comments in the past.....with the Texans hurting at RB, and with Kubiak now the HC there, could Tater be on his way to Houston soon?

I would not be suprised.
    Buddy, you're looking way too much into this. If anything it seems that Tatum's dissapointed that he hasn't won the number one spot yet. He doesn't bash the coaching staff at all.

Hopefully this will motivate him to be a better back, but even if he shows no improvement at all from last year the Broncos would be dumb to trade him.

Leave a comment:

• rich_thunder
    replied
    This kid Mike Bell is workin hard and will get his fair share of carries this year. That said, Tatum Bell is not going to be traded anywhere...especially to Houston. They seem pretty confident in Vernand Morency and D. Davis seems like he'll be fine by the beginning of the season. That said, I think we could part with Tatum for...say...Mario Williams and give Texas some draft picks for their trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Hell, Chris Perry was a first rounder and can't even win the 3rd spot in Cleveland!
    That is Cincinnati. Named after the Roman historical figure Cincinnatus. The man who lived a military life and retired to the countryside only to be summoned in a time of need and appointed as sole ruler - he promised to resign once the crisis was over and return to the quite life on his farm. He defeated the enemy in battle and promptly retired back to the farm life. He was a symbol of what the Romans valued and clearly the founders of Cincinnatti wanted the same values passed along to their citizens.
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-09-2006, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• watchthemiddle
    replied
    THe sadest thing is.....ALL of us would let Tatum go.

Would any of us let Terrell Davis go??

No!!

I think that is what we are al searching for because that is what make this horse run. We can have Jake at QB, or BVP at QB, or Jay Cutler, but as long as we have a GREAT running back carrying the rock, and a decent defense then we will be competitive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X