X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan's Camp Report 8/9 AM

Didn't see it posted here.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=44973

Ok so it was an "ok" camp. They weren't going full speed and they did a lot of install for the game on Friday so it was a lot of thinking on the Players' part.

Javon practiced in a limited fashion but Rod was held out as was Sapp. There were probably others missing, but those were the ones I noticed.

I know why the media guys' reports aren't that imformative. They spend most of their time talking to each other about total crap the whole time. Jeff Legwold and Dave Krieger hardly watched practice because they were yaking to each other the whole time and Burger Bill talked to two camera guys, though he watched the most. Anyway, food for thought.

So general observations:

The team switched between man and zone a lot. On one third down drill they doubled the outside receivers and had the linebackers play a shallow zone. The rest of the time they'd either play deep zones or man up.

I'll do both lines since I got to see the O-line practice against the D-line today in position drills.

Kuper: Good footwork. He is really strong. He has great leg and arm strength and is able to plant well. On one when he went against Veal he planted his right foot too far inside and it allowed Veal to get around him when Veal turned around to his inside shoulder.

Eslinger: He's just not very strong. He has quick feet and hands, but every defender that he was up against would just bull rush them. He'd try and force the block outside but he didn't have enough driving power to push the attack round the pocket.

Green: He was very impressive today. Did a good job of keeping the block in front of him and pushing the attacker up out of attack posture. On one play he pushed Engleberger around the pocket never yielding ground and Shanahan, who was running passing tree drills on the other field shouted "good job, Cornell" from across the field. He doesn't usually watch a drill other than the one he's running, so I thought that was interesting.

Chris Myers: He struggled a bit today. He is better about letting the guy come into him so he doesn't overextend, but sometimes the defender would fake in and try and swim around and he'd be one-arming it. I liked his footwork. Planted so that he could get the power to push into the attack.

Bilba: He had a good day. Shut down Corey Jackson completely. He does a really good job of keeping his shoulders square so he is much harder move around.

Foster: He started out rough but did better as he went along. Still is almost hopeless against speed rushers. I wish he would try and really attack a guy because he's so big he could take someone's head off.

Lepsis: Was the most consistant. Great use of his hands. No one really got around him. The closest was Chukwurah who was really playing tenacious today. He managed to move around and inside so he had an angle and Lepsis just shoved him into the ground and defeted his rush.

Wideouts -

Walker: Limited reps. Just ran some drills mostly. They kept him pretty limited, though I gotta say he has the softest hands on the team, which is quite nice.

Kircus: Made some more great catches. He is consistant. Has great body control and quickness. He juked around Paymah and cut up field for an extra five yards after the catch before Cox knocked him down.

Marshall: Marshall made some more big plays. He is a big threat in the redzone. During redzone drills the coaches were in his ear a bit during some run plays, but they praised him after he corrected his blocking.

Watts: He made some nice grabs but was checked by a receiver and dropped one. It was kind of pass into traffic and the safety was closing so you saw it coming.

Clark: Had some great catches, but also a drop. His route running is improving. He needs to work on planting his outside foot when he cuts so he can really sell it because he kind of jogs and that doens't force the defender to shade to the outside so you're clear for the comeback.

Tight Ends: I didn't see them much today. Not a lot of catches, though they did make some grabs in the redzone drills.

OOPS! Forgot Devoe: He was great today. Had a touchdown and made some nice catches. He lost an int to Foxworth who jumped at the ball and they wrestled with it and 'Nique came away with the ball. He's looking better.

Running Backs:

Mike Bell: Made some nice runs and good moves. He actually did better than before and that had a lot to do with him playing against the second team defense. Still the best one out there. Nick Ferguson leveld him on play which suprised me considering Nick isn't that big a guy. He is getting better at blitz pick up and settles right down into his blocks well. He's a big guy that helps. He needs to work on his hands a bit. He's not poor at catching passes but he's not great.

Tatum: Split carries with Mike on the first team, and took reps on the second. He looked ok but not the every play consistancy he had before. I think the reps are wearing on some of the guys and Tatum had a lot todat. I know I've said it before, but he has much better hands this year and it's a large part of why he's in there on third and long.

Cobbs: He looked good until he was stubmling again and Cox forced a fumble on him. He split carries on the third team with Dayne.

Dayne: He didn't get a lot of reps but tried to make the most of what he got. Played with a little more excitement than usual, but overall forgetable.

QB's

Jake: He was sharp today. Made some good throws and hit some guys in some tight areas. He threw on interception to Roc I think. There was NOBODY around the ball. Either the ball got away from him or someone was running a bad route because it was right to the defender. He is good against the blitz but poor when they drop a lot of guys into coverage.

Jay: He was great today. Had a couple of throws that were high, but no picks to be seen. At the end of practice they ran a situation drill with all three teams where they have 40 seconds and one time out and need a field goal. He was three for three and was in range. Super efficient considering he was going against the first team D. Then Micah Knorr went on the field to kick and missed the field goal. Elam wasn't out and they had Micah kicking!

BVP: He threw a couple of interception, one in the redzone, that were forced throws. Had another bad pass that was way overthrown and out-of bounds. The guy isn't a naturally talented passer. He did do very well on third down during the situation drill. Got his team in range and Knorr came out and missed the field goal. It was pathetic. He was like 4 for 8 in that drill. He was almost picked off but Aaron Rogers dropped it.

Defenders next

Defenders - I'll just mention who stood out.

Cox: He was great today. I like his versatility. I think he could gain a few more pounds of muscle, but he plays ver diciplined and saw the field a great deal. Made some plays that i've already mentioned.

Vaughn: He is having a good camp. He closes well and takes the right angles. He is hard for the tight ends to block though the linemen have an easier job of it.

Dumervil: He still gets a lot of preasure. Fast and quick.

Bailey: He pretty much shut down whoever was throwing to him. Jake had Scheffler open in the endzone and Bailey casually knocked it out of bounds.

Foxworth: Man, he's playing like a mad man. He's much more physical than he was last year and is really maintaining his zone resposibilities. Had some great plays today.

That's what I got. I'll answer questions.
    KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to come over here and post your report.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I guess I'll repeat what I asked you over in OM because it is important for Tater.

It looks as if Tater is going to be a change-of-pace back again this year, and he could be a devastating one on third down. He could take any screen pass or surprise running play to the house from anywhere on the field. The nagging question here, however, is could he block well enough to avoid being a liability in obvious passing situations? Can he pick up the blitz? Is he good enough to sell a faked block, then slip outside for a screen pass or as a relief valve?

-----

Comment

Wow it all sounds good, keep up the good work! Cp

Comment

Once again thanks for the update, we're getting quite spoiled over here.

In your opinion who does it look like will be our return men of kickoffs and punt returns?
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Much better than my Camp report!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
              I guess I'll repeat what I asked you over in OM because it is important for Tater.

It looks as if Tater is going to be a change-of-pace back again this year, and he could be a devastating one on third down. He could take any screen pass or surprise running play to the house from anywhere on the field. The nagging question here, however, is could he block well enough to avoid being a liability in obvious passing situations? Can he pick up the blitz? Is he good enough to sell a faked block, then slip outside for a screen pass or as a relief valve?

-----
              And I guess I'll repeat what I answered over there.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...4&postcount=41

Comment

Since your doing Q&A:
                1. Any signs of life from Cobbs?
                2. If I understood, M. Bell has run against the first and second D. He did better agains second than first (which would make sense). How good/bad did he look against the starting D?
                3. Followup to Bell. Does he simply look better than the other four backs, or does he look GOOD.
                4. Ready to make a prediction about the third wide out?
                5. How about the second corner spot (opposite Champ)?
                6. Any other roster surprises you see coming after your couple weeks of watching camp?
                The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                  Since your doing Q&A:
                  1. Any signs of life from Cobbs?
                    "Same as it ever was"
                  2. If I understood, M. Bell has run against the first and second D. He did better agains second than first (which would make sense). How good/bad did he look against the starting D?
                    Well he was going against the first D when he was taking snaps on the second team so basically that was what made Shanahan put him in as the starter.
                  3. Followup to Bell. Does he simply look better than the other four backs, or does he look GOOD.
                    Is there a difference? I don't understand your question.
                  4. Ready to make a prediction about the third wide out?
                    Marshall.
                  5. How about the second corner spot (opposite Champ)?
                    D-Wil
                    Hope that helps answer your questions.
                  6. Any other roster surprises you see coming after your couple weeks of watching camp?
                  Not really, maybe a change at right tackle. Hope that helps answer your questions.

Comment

The only difference between as he (M. Bell) only looked better than the other backs, or has he looked GOOD, goes back to a quote from Mortenson who said that a veteran defensive player said that he is the first back to come throug Denver that reminds him of TD, or something to that effect. I am wonderin how GOOD this guy looks.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                      The only difference between as he (M. Bell) only looked better than the other backs, or has he looked GOOD, goes back to a quote from Mortenson who said that a veteran defensive player said that he is the first back to come throug Denver that reminds him of TD, or something to that effect. I am wonderin how GOOD this guy looks.
                      Kaylore, I think what Tned is asking is whether MB looks good, relative to the guys he's been playing against, or do you think he would look good anywhere? In other words, I think we're all hoping "A Star Is Born."

-----

Comment

...good thing I picked up Marshall in my OM fantasy draft. RED ZONE WEAPON BABY!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                          Kaylore, I think what Tned is asking is whether MB looks good, relative to the guys he's been playing against, or do you think he would look good anywhere? In other words, I think we're all hoping "A Star Is Born."

-----

That question can only be answered come gametime.

Comment

So is it Kuper.........or Cooper??

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1986
                              That question can only be answered come gametime.
                              That is true, in fact. But Tned was asking for the observer's impressions.

That would come from camp time.

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X