Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dream's Broncos Mock Draft for the 2006 Finale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream's Broncos Mock Draft for the 2006 Finale!

I'll be on vacation again until the 5th of January when I return back to University; so until then I'll leave you with a mock draft; with some explanations. No trade scenarios, but be sure to keep into perspective that this is with the Broncos currently making the playoffs and the Redskins giving us a top-ten selection in the third-round. Oh, also remember we do not have a fourth-rounder; as it's Atlanta's this year in part of the swap they got for John Abraham. Also, I hate to cut the mock short, but I will not include a sixth and seventh round. The draft is a crap shoot in itself and it's almost impossible to project those picks; given the Broncos past draft history, it'll be an offensive lineman, a quarterback, running back or perhaps a value pick on defense.

Enjoy everyone!

Denver Broncos First-Round Selection: Victor Abiamiri, DE - University of Notre Dame

The Denver Broncos pursued both Andre Carter and John Abraham last off-season to solve their pass-rushing woes from the edge and they ended up with Kenard Lang. Although Land, Ekuban and Dumervil have provided help on rushing the passer; they're inconsistent at best and the Broncos could stand to add a prospect who has yet to reach his full potential and has some of the best triangular numbers for any prospect at his position this year. Not to mention outside Courtney Brown and Elvis Dumervil; the age of all of our current defensive ends including Lang, Ekuban and Engleberger is over thirty years old.

Denver Broncos Second-Round Selection: Eric Weddle, S - The University of Utah

Hamza Abdullah and Curome Cox may have been valuable assets this season and shown some promise; injuries to Sam Brandon, Nick Ferguson and the age of John Lynch make this pick too easy. Weddle is the epitome of a team player who can play offensive positions, and even hold on kicks and he can return. He'll do anything it takes to win; and players who can make an impact on special teams are what Denver scouts tend to look at and it's hard to ignore a player like Weddle who in a year could take over for either Lynch or Ferguson and be an impact special teams player.

Denver Broncos Third-Round Selection: (Via Washington Redskins) Brandon Mebane, DT - University of California

Although it's likely that the Broncos re-sign Michael Myers in the off-season; the Denver Broncos do not have an under tackle on the roster that can effectively rush the passer. Mebane is one of the best in college football at doing so and would provide good value at this point in time. Some scouts question his physical tools; but the kid can just play football. He has the heart, the motor and the work ethic to succeed in the NFL. A productive, experienced starter for the Golden Bears since 2004; Mebane would be a welcomed addition to a Broncos defensive line that is less than stellar and could use a push at the one-technique position next to Gerard Warren.

Denver Broncos Third-Round Selection: Ryne Robinson, WR - University of Miami (OHIO)
    Even thought it's likely that Rod Smith returns as a slot receiver for the Broncos next season, Denver is in desperate need of a #3 guy who can stretch the field with speed and add success in the return game. Robinson does both; and although his size and conference will go against his grade he's a solid selection in round three.

Denver Broncos Fifth-Round Selection: Doug Free, OT - Northern Illinois

At the beginning of the year Doug Free was a sure-fire first-day prospect; but after suffering a foot injury at the beginning of the year versus Ohio St. Free's play has been less than stellar. Too often scouts overlook a player based on injury because they have not seen him play before injury, or they are unaware that he is injured. It's likely that Free will become one of these players, but even better for the Broncos. Among other question marks that could cause Free to fall is his significant lack of strength. It's a known fact that Free at best can only bench 20 reps at 225; and if he fails to improve his strength before the combine and off-season workouts; it will cause damage to his stock. But if you take away the "negatives" Free is an excellent prospect who can project to either tackle position in the professional level; and could very well be this years Eric Winston.

Originally posted by Dream
    I'll be on vacation again until the 5th of January when I return back to University; so until then I'll leave you with a mock draft; with some explanations. No trade scenarios, but be sure to keep into perspective that this is with the Broncos currently making the playoffs and the Redskins giving us a top-ten selection in the third-round. Oh, also remember we do not have a fourth-rounder; as it's Atlanta's this year in part of the swap they got for John Abraham. Also, I hate to cut the mock short, but I will not include a sixth and seventh round. The draft is a crap shoot in itself and it's almost impossible to project those picks; given the Broncos past draft history, it'll be an offensive lineman, a quarterback, running back or perhaps a value pick on defense.

Enjoy everyone!

Denver Broncos First-Round Selection: Victor Abiamiri, DE - University of Notre Dame

The Denver Broncos pursued both Andre Carter and John Abraham last off-season to solve their pass-rushing woes from the edge and they ended up with Kenard Lang. Although Land, Ekuban and Dumervil have provided help on rushing the passer; they're inconsistent at best and the Broncos could stand to add a prospect who has yet to reach his full potential and has some of the best triangular numbers for any prospect at his position this year. Not to mention outside Courtney Brown and Elvis Dumervil; the age of all of our current defensive ends including Lang, Ekuban and Engleberger is over thirty years old.

Denver Broncos Second-Round Selection: Eric Weddle, S - The University of Utah

Hamza Abdullah and Curome Cox may have been valuable assets this season and shown some promise; injuries to Sam Brandon, Nick Ferguson and the age of John Lynch make this pick too easy. Weddle is the epitome of a team player who can play offensive positions, and even hold on kicks and he can return. He'll do anything it takes to win; and players who can make an impact on special teams are what Denver scouts tend to look at and it's hard to ignore a player like Weddle who in a year could take over for either Lynch or Ferguson and be an impact special teams player.

Denver Broncos Third-Round Selection: (Via Washington Redskins) Brandon Mebane, DT - University of California

Although it's likely that the Broncos re-sign Michael Myers in the off-season; the Denver Broncos do not have an under tackle on the roster that can effectively rush the passer. Mebane is one of the best in college football at doing so and would provide good value at this point in time. Some scouts question his physical tools; but the kid can just play football. He has the heart, the motor and the work ethic to succeed in the NFL. A productive, experienced starter for the Golden Bears since 2004; Mebane would be a welcomed addition to a Broncos defensive line that is less than stellar and could use a push at the one-technique position next to Gerard Warren.

Denver Broncos Third-Round Selection: Ryne Robinson, WR - University of Miami (OHIO)
    Even thought it's likely that Rod Smith returns as a slot receiver for the Broncos next season, Denver is in desperate need of a #3 guy who can stretch the field with speed and add success in the return game. Robinson does both; and although his size and conference will go against his grade he's a solid selection in round three.

Denver Broncos Fifth-Round Selection: Doug Free, OT - Northern Illinois

At the beginning of the year Doug Free was a sure-fire first-day prospect; but after suffering a foot injury at the beginning of the year versus Ohio St. Free's play has been less than stellar. Too often scouts overlook a player based on injury because they have not seen him play before injury, or they are unaware that he is injured. It's likely that Free will become one of these players, but even better for the Broncos. Among other question marks that could cause Free to fall is his significant lack of strength. It's a known fact that Free at best can only bench 20 reps at 225; and if he fails to improve his strength before the combine and off-season workouts; it will cause damage to his stock. But if you take away the "negatives" Free is an excellent prospect who can project to either tackle position in the professional level; and could very well be this years Eric Winston.

meh, it's okay. I'm not convinced we need a KR prospect because Domenik Hixon will be back next year. Let's give him a chance. Plus, I'd rather we sign a guy like Charles Grant or Justin Smith, who are proven effective pass-rushers, than draft a guy that could turn out to be busts.

Also, I think the 2nd round is too high for Eric Weddle. Lots of good safety prospects dropped last year, and that could repeat this year. Isn't he like 24 years old as well?

Good analysis though.

Comment

I would be happy with this draft. Weddle, plus a DT and DE on the first day... great

Comment

I don't think that Abiamiri will be there at a twenty something pick (maybe trade up). In addition, at least IMO we need a D-tackle more than a D-end, but we do need D-line help. Wedle or any safety in the second I think is too high.

Let's see. Free the OT was injured. He had a weak senior season. He is from a smaller school lacking in big time experience. He has all the marking of a Shanahan first round pick.

As I said I don't think this is likely to happen. If it did, it would be a good draft for the broncos. I still see the Broncos aquiring a running back that can be a work horse and carry for 3 to 8 yards per carry nearly every carry. Someone who can make one cut and then runs north and south breaking hearts and tackles along the way. I think that either Bell would be a good change up but especially Tatum.

Comment

Well if Free has a pre-existing injury, count on the Broncos picking him when it could do the most damage.

First day!

Ditto for a back-up/special teams player like Weddle. Good call!

Comment

Weddle is making a strong push towards being a first rounder

Comment

Personally Dream I liked your mocks before this much better.

Not bad though, but what makes the D.E at the top so good? I haven't heard much of anything from him except that he is inconsistant
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Wow. a mock draft that doesnt include a rb. Many feel that bc Shannahan admitted he would have taken Maroney last year before Cutler was availible that he will grab one in the 1st this year. I really dont know, Tatum isnt a Denver RB type, his #'s are average for a typical back here, but Mike isnt a Mike Anderson... I like Tatum as a situational back and a change up. I dont think Mike Bell has the tools yet (he reminds me of another Quenton Griffen) and i think Shanny will look to the FA and if a good back isnt there, he will take one on the 1st day. But overall i like your predictions and i am glad they address the most major issues of the team's needs. Remember! Shannahan drafts according to need!
                sigpic

Comment

Dude,
                  how can you compare Mike Bell to Quintin Griffin?????? Griffin dances around the hole much like Tatum does and Mike Bell hits it hard one cut and go like our offense encourages. Wow, that is a terrible comparison. No way do we pick a RB in the first round unless Lynch falls in our laps which I don't believe will happen. I think it is VERY obvious that we need defensive help for the draft. Along with possibly a offensive tackle and how about a decent punter?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeShadow
                    Weddle is making a strong push towards being a first rounder

LOL. Count on the Bills to pick him then.

Comment

What's changed?

Originally posted by hardcorebronco
                      Wow. a mock draft that doesnt include a rb. Many feel that bc Shannahan admitted he would have taken Maroney last year before Cutler was availible that he will grab one in the 1st this year. I really dont know, Tatum isnt a Denver RB type, his #'s are average for a typical back here, but Mike isnt a Mike Anderson... I like Tatum as a situational back and a change up. I dont think Mike Bell has the tools yet (he reminds me of another Quenton Griffen) and i think Shanny will look to the FA and if a good back isnt there, he will take one on the 1st day. But overall i like your predictions and i am glad they address the most major issues of the team's needs. Remember! Shannahan drafts according to need!
                      I still think a FA back who can move the pile would be best there, because then you can get someone you know can pass block in the NFL, and possibly be a decent receiver. Cutler needs a back who can pass block, which is the only reason I wouldn't take Mike Bell as our starter right now. If we can't get a FA I'd rather try to farm again, 'cos a top pick on a guy who may or may not be able to protect our franchise QB and move the pile behind our line is a big risk. What you have to ask is: if Shanny wanted a back that badly last year, what has Tatum done this year to change his mind...? If Mike Bell starts Sunday (and I really hope he does; Tatum's not producing and has kept opponents in games we had to win with fumbles for TDs each of our last two) I expect us to get a good FA or draft a RB.

I still think with Lang only in his 10th year we don't need ends, but we are in desperate need of at least one DT, and prerably two if Burton can't be a part of the rotation next year (his size looks good, but he's played all of one game this year, with 0 tackles, so he's hard for me to evaluate one way or t'other. ) Having someone besides Warren (often doubled and consequently often injured) would, I think boost our ends sack production by 10-15, maybe more. NOT having that, combined with not blitzing even as much as I'd like (and I'm an offensive guy who starts drooling when people blitz 8 guys every down) means outside of our defensive line our WHOLE DEFENSE HAS ONE SACK. One sack. All year. Including subs. How much of that can I blame on the line...?

If we do go for an end with a big tackle I'd like to see someone with speed but still possessing as much or more size as Ekuban (hey, ya'll keep telling me this draft is deep at DE; let's see it if we're gonna spend picks where I don't think we have need. ) If we do that and get a good NT I think with Ekuban we'd have the starters for a 3-4 line, and Warren could spell the NT so he doesn't have to play the whole game. If we got an OLB prospect to learn backup MLB behind Al he could be a fine OLB with D.J. (who'd need 5-10 lbs. ) in a 3-4, either backing up Chucky or being backed up behind him. Basically we'd need a starting and backup ILB the following year, plus a backup end, and we'd have a killer 3-4 with Ian Gold likely going to SS, or even FS if he's got the coverage skills. Do depending on how we do it I could live with the above (though I don't think we need a WR of any kind with Morgan. ) With one exception:

We need a RG. Carlisle isn't getting it done. He did help Mike in at the end of the 99 yard TD drive, but it was also first and goal at the 3, but he also gave up a pair of sacks. Even if Kuper and Myers are HoFers, when Nalen retires we have them and Hamilton in the middle of our line and NOTHING if any of the three got hurt (and, let's face it, we're talking three interior linemen; they're going to be hurt periodically. ) If either of them can't start we need two guards, minimum. I've heard rumors of trying to salvage the first round pick we spent on Foster by making him a guard, and having Hamilton as our pulling guard with the hulking 338 lbs. Foster giving us line surge and knocking DTs on their rears might work. On the other hand, Foster might not be salvagable, in which case his 338 lbs. is a real barrier to him beating LBs and ends (many of whom are around 100 lbs. lighter) around the corner.

I think Lepsis and Meadows both have more years left than Nalen, and are fine starters even if Pears is just a backup who has experience playing the most important pass blocking spot all year. More likely, Pears starts at RT next year and Meadows backs up him and Lepsis. Either way, guard is a much more imminent need than tackle, and I'd go NT, or NTX2, then RG. A tackle later on might not be a bad idea, since Lepsis has been here since the first SB win, but a guard who fits our complicated system will be critical soon, because right now we can't run right to save our lives, but I think we'll have tackles to keep Cutlers pants clean for at least the next couple years.

This mock isn't bad, but I'd still like to see a guard.
                      SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

No offense but....

If you think the Broncos need a guard more than a DE, you haven't been paying attention.

If Shanahan takes a guard and no DE's, he should be fired!

Ekuban cannot play in a 3-4.

Comment

Some of the Mock draft have us picking Lawrence Jackson out of USC. DE I believe. I really don't know much about him, does anyone have any info on him i.e. projected draft range and scouting report?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT
                            Some of the Mock draft have us picking Lawrence Jackson out of USC. DE I believe. I really don't know much about him, does anyone have any info on him i.e. projected draft range and scouting report?

He's going to stay for his senior season according to footballsfuture.com. He will be a first round pick next year in all likelyhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...or-senior.html

There it is. It looks like LoJack is indeed staying in school. Wise decision IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X