Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be the main focus in the draft to make the Broncos SB ready?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should be the main focus in the draft to make the Broncos SB ready?

Of course, if I could have my druthers, I’d take All of the Above. However, if I could pick just one, I’d go for the power running back. Got the “Broncos; the Complete History” DVD for Christmas, and it sure brought back memories of TD!
    Better QB protection
    13.82%
    Power running back
    14.63%
    Better defense against the pass
    41.46%
    Better defense against the run
    13.82%
    Special teams in general
    12.20%
    Other (describe in your reply)
    4.07%
    Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

I would not pick phases of the game but rather personnel. Defensive line has been the weak spot of our team for several years now.

Comment

for one thing, it's too early to say-- we need to see how free agency shakes out first, both in terms of who we get and who we may lose. . . besides, with four first day picks, there's no reason the team should (or will) focus on a single area. . . .

i personally feel that upgrading our defensive line, both inside and out, is the #1A priority-- we absolutely need a better pass rush, especially on the interior, and would really benefit from another big-bodied run stuffer to play next to warren and help us contain LT and larry johnson. . . still, if lepsis can't return from the micro-fracture, finding a starting caliber left tackle becomes an equal priority! the next areas of concern would be finding another quality option at running back, adding some young talent at safety, and finding a wide receiver who can stretch the field and give us better depth. . . . i don't see any reason why we can't address most if not all of these between the draft and free agency-- we certainly won't find top talent at all those positions, but i think we can upgrade several if not all of those spots to some degree. . . i personally feel that the lines are the biggest areas of concern, but help at any of those positions would be welcome. . . i have said before and will say again-- this is going to be a very busy offseason for us, and i hope a new special teams coordinator is somewhere on the list. . . .
      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
        I would not pick phases of the game but rather personnel. Defensive line has been the weak spot of our team for several years now.
        Actually, my intent was personnel upgrades in each of the categories--sorry I didn't make it more clear.
        Life, for me, has been an ongoing education. When Graduation Day arrives, my diploma will be my death certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
          for one thing, it's too early to say-- we need to see how free agency shakes out first, both in terms of who we get and who we may lose. . . besides, with four first day picks, there's no reason the team should (or will) focus on a single area. . . .
          Oh, definitely NOT "focus on a single area." I was going more for the pecking order of importance.

BTW, you sure know your football--and with an equally keen ability to express it.

Comment

All of the above (poll).
            XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

Posted by Dogfish

i personally feel that upgrading our defensive line, both inside and out, is the #1A priority-- we absolutely need a better pass rush, especially on the interior, and would really benefit from another big-bodied run stuffer to play next to warren and help us contain LT and larry johnson. . . still, if lepsis can't return from the micro-fracture, finding a starting caliber left tackle becomes an equal priority! the next areas of concern would be finding another quality option at running back, adding some young talent at safety, and finding a wide receiver who can stretch the field and give us better depth. . . . i don't see any reason why we can't address most if not all of these between the draft and free agency-- we certainly won't find top talent at all those positions, but i think we can upgrade several if not all of those spots to some degree. . . i personally feel that the lines are the biggest areas of concern, but help at any of those positions would be welcome. . . i have said before and will say again-- this is going to be a very busy offseason for us, and i hope a new special teams coordinator is somewhere on the list. . . .
              Well said.

This years draft is loaded with talented defensive linemen. Not only will there be a lot to choose from, the numbers will make free agents more affordable. This will be a good year to upgrade our d-line and win the SB. Agree that Lepsis injury will effect everything we do, I am keeping my fingers crossed. Yes, a quality RB would be great. In regards to WR I am hopeful that Hixon will be our deep threat. I also agree that a new special teams coach is a must. We need to open up the checkbook and find the best money can buy.

Comment

one brute DT and heavy upgrades on the O-Line, and a RB thrown in might be nice, but not as crucial as the O-Line upgrades.

Comment

DLINE man would be good if they could get a pass rush it would greatly help our secondary. Thats my thoughts.
                  PROUD MEMBER OF BRONCOS COUNTRY
                  sigpic

Comment

D line should be the number one focus. Oline our number 2

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples
                      one brute DT and heavy upgrades on the O-Line, and a RB thrown in might be nice, but not as crucial as the O-Line upgrades.
                      Would only add DE to this list... Our most major flaw right now is Dline, and to me, both DT and DE could use a good stoking. Concentrate mostly on D, but a good RT to at least threaten Foster has to be considered. Both sides of the ball, the line is too fundamental to ignore, because the game starts there.

Comment

I was originally against the Broncos' shot gun approach at the cornerback position two years ago. It seemed like wasting picks but we were so weak there that they all stayed. That same draft strategy again this last year worked out pretty well for us. We made a run at receivers/TEs. That looks pretty good right now. Maybe Shanahan was thinking outside the box.

I would not be opposed to multiple picks on the D-line to overcome years of neglect at those positions. God knows that there is a need at those positions and there is room for two or three to stick.

There is definitely merit to trying to fill one or more of the teams weaknesses in free agency. If you give a high pick for an O-lineman, there is the problem with the position requiring a year or more for most linemen to learn the system. Sure, in an emergency you can plug them in and give them help from tight ends and from back but this limits the flexibility your offense. I think that O-line and safety may be cheap pick-ups in free agency. Running back is a need but I am not sure of the solution. We will have to wait and see who is available in both FA and in the draft.

Comment

I voted other - because I say we need some sort of pass rush, if we had that other things on the Defense would lock into place.

Comment

Originally posted by ErnieNovember
                            I voted other - because I say we need some sort of pass rush, if we had that other things on the Defense would lock into place.
                            Yes, yes, YES! Too many times, the opponent's QB seemed to have been passing from an anti-shark cage, with an open window at arm level. Since getting burned by the blitz (Pittsburg at our house, end of '05), the pass rush has been lacking.

Comment

Better defense against the pass, which would mean a pass rush, which Denver currently is very inconsisten in now.
                              NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Working...
                              X