Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mora?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mora?

    I know he's not a player, but if Jim Mora Jr gets the axe from Atlanta, we'd be foolish not to bring him in to interview for Defensive Coordinator. I really think he could make our group of great players a great defense and put them over the top. His schemes worked great for a sub-par 49ers team.

    Thoughts?

  • #2
    Did he run the same cover 2 scheme as Coyer? If so, I say no, because I think that scheme doesn't work for us. We need to go to more of a man type coverage because QB's pick us apart in our current scheme; they find holes.

    Comment


    • #3
      he will be a head coach somewhere. I like him tho

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
        I know he's not a player, but if Jim Mora Jr gets the axe from Atlanta, we'd be foolish not to bring him in to interview for Defensive Coordinator. I really think he could make our group of great players a great defense and put them over the top. His schemes worked great for a sub-par 49ers team.

        Thoughts?

        that's something i mentioned a few weeks ago-- if mora gets fired in ATL i'd love to see him come here as DC for a few years. . . . it doesn't look like there are going to be that many HC positions available, and he might have to settle for a coordinator position or take a college HC job for a couple of years. . . i think he's a damn good coach, and i'd welcome having him in denver. . . .


        Originally posted by tommy1986
        Did he run the same cover 2 scheme as Coyer? If so, I say no, because I think that scheme doesn't work for us. We need to go to more of a man type coverage because QB's pick us apart in our current scheme; they find holes.

        while i do agree that our corners are better in man than in zone (champ obviously can play either, but even he is probably at his best playing man), i still think the primary reason we get mixed results running cover-2 is that we can't get pressure with our front four. . . look at tampa in the heyday of that defense-- they had simeon rice and warren sapp disrupting things. . . look at chicago recently-- their line is full of quality pass rushers. . . tommie harris, tank johnson, alex brown, ogunleye and mark anderson. . . their play has really drppped off without harris in the lineup. . . our linebackers are all really fast and solid in coverage-- if we had D-linemen who could get consistent pressure without bringing additional rushers, there's no reason we couldn't run the cover-2 successfully-- i'm not saying we should use it as our base defense, but most teams mix in some version of it, and we could do just fine with it if we had better pass rushers, and possibly another safety with range. . . .
        Last edited by dogfish; 12-29-2006, 01:55 AM.
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

        rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

        Comment


        • #5
          What do you do with Coyer?

          You can't fire him....He's not the guy that keeps ignoring the pass rush problem!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stnzed
            What do you do with Coyer?

            You can't fire him....He's not the guy that keeps ignoring the pass rush problem!

            You put him back where he was at his best, LB coach. It isn't a secret that he built the LB corps into what it is as the LB coach. Unfortunately, he seems to know LBs and not too much else. Our defensive scheme focuses around our LBs (what should happen in a 3-4) instead of our D-line (what should happen in a 4-3). Coyer should go back to LBs coach.

            If I'm not mistaken, Mora was the guy that brought the 3-4 to San Francisco and then brought it with him to Atlanta (where it failed due to lack of proper personnel). I'm not necessarily petitioning for a switch to the 3-4, but a few 3-4-esque fronts with guys like Webster, Chukwurah, and Dumervil rotating in and out should be a good change up if the straight/base 4-3 is struggling at getting pressure.

            I'm still one of the few guys here that thinks a 3-4 would work in Denver with most of the current personnel. Not full time, but it will present problems as a curveball during the game (ahem, halftime adjustments). Smaller DTs like Myers and/or Veal can move to end in a 3-4 alignment. Warren can play the nose and "rush LBs" can be created from Chukie and Elvis.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
              You put him back where he was at his best, LB coach. It isn't a secret that he built the LB corps into what it is as the LB coach. Unfortunately, he seems to know LBs and not too much else. Our defensive scheme focuses around our LBs (what should happen in a 3-4) instead of our D-line (what should happen in a 4-3). Coyer should go back to LBs coach.

              If I'm not mistaken, Mora was the guy that brought the 3-4 to San Francisco and then brought it with him to Atlanta (where it failed due to lack of proper personnel). I'm not necessarily petitioning for a switch to the 3-4, but a few 3-4-esque fronts with guys like Webster, Chukwurah, and Dumervil rotating in and out should be a good change up if the straight/base 4-3 is struggling at getting pressure.

              I'm still one of the few guys here that thinks a 3-4 would work in Denver with most of the current personnel. Not full time, but it will present problems as a curveball during the game (ahem, halftime adjustments). Smaller DTs like Myers and/or Veal can move to end in a 3-4 alignment. Warren can play the nose and "rush LBs" can be created from Chukie and Elvis.
              It ain't going to happen not as long as we're the Browncos. I'll give you the LBs they are talented and might play well in a 3-4 if they put on a little more weight (especially Gold). But the whole reason we got the Browns d-line is because they don't fit in the 3-4. We'd have to completely redo the line.
              President Cool

              Comment


              • #8
                It would be nice to have Mora as a D Coordinator, but I don't know if the coaching staff sees Coyer as a problem. No metion as to what Coyers future will be. I hope we get a D coordinator who can actually adjust the D in the late third and fourth Quarters. There were about three games that the Broncos could have won if it weren't for bad D play calling. You can't blame the D for not being able to get pressure if all you do is call a vanilla type defense.

                Comment

                Working...
                X