Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Grant!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Too true, you can't go into just a pass rush line in the AFC West.... LJ, LT, we'd be giving up WAY too many yards to those dudes to suit my tastes if we went to a Freeney type line. If we had a pass rush only line, we'd be only built for playing with a lead, and our offense has some growing to do before we can count on that. Please keep pushing Dline talk, I like what I'm hearing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by broncs2bowl
      Living in New Jersey I get a lot of NO games(I have no idea why ), but I kind started watching NO this year. Charles Grant pressures the QB a lot. and he does not have very quality DTs supporting him. He gets overshadowed by Will Smith, but people are starting to see him out more. He would improve our D-line a lot even though his stats dont show very much.

      PLus I hope we pick up a quality DT via draft and free agency, our pressure problem would be GREATLY improved.
      Grant could play RDE in place of Courtney Brown. He'd be a big improvement over Lang and the ever invisible Engleberger (who should finally be released - he's done absolutely nothing in 2 seasons here).

      But Denver does not have quality DTs either. Unless this matter is addressed either through FA or the draft (preferrably both) NO SB for the Broncos next year either.

      I don't know why so many fans don't understand that elite teams have elite offensive and defensive lines. That's where it starts. You can have all the QBs, WRs and CBs you want go to the pro-bowl, but unless you have a great OL to open up run lanes and protect the QB and unless you have a great DL that gets consistent pressure on the other QB you simply can't come close to a championship! And the Broncos don't have either one!

      With the return of Lepsis next year (hopefully) the OL should be stronger (it desparately needs to be!). But the DL will never be any better unless the Broncos DRAFT some elite DL. San Diego has them in Merriman and Castillo. Oakland has one in Burgess (and almost nothing else), KC has Jared Allen and a rapidly improving Tamba Hali. Denver has Dumervil and bust and bust and fuget-about-it and pray-for-rain.

      And their backups are even worse! (That's why the Broncos DL did nothing in the 4th quarter of games, they wore down and their backups are absolutely miserable: Demetrin Veal? Cut! Kenny Peterson? CFL! Antwon Burton? You gotta be kidding me, right? Engleberger? Gone! Gone! Gone!

      That leaves plenty of openings for some new talent.
      That's as simple and obvious as it gets.
      Last edited by Cugel; 01-05-2007, 09:12 AM.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Cugel
        Grant could play RDE in place of Courtney Brown. He'd be a big improvement over Lang and the ever invisible Engleberger (who should finally be released - he's done absolutely nothing in 2 seasons here).

        But Denver does not have quality DTs either. Unless this matter is addressed either through FA or the draft (preferrably both) NO SB for the Broncos next year either.

        I don't know why so many fans don't understand that elite teams have elite offensive and defensive lines. That's where it starts. You can have all the QBs, WRs and CBs you want go to the pro-bowl, but unless you have a great OL to open up run lanes and protect the QB and unless you have a great DL that gets consistent pressure on the other QB you simply can't come close to a championship! And the Broncos don't have either one!

        With the return of Lepsis next year (hopefully) the OL should be stronger (it desparately needs to be!). But the DL will never be any better unless the Broncos DRAFT some elite DL. San Diego has them in Merriman and Castillo. Oakland has one in Burgess (and almost nothing else), KC has Jared Allen and a rapidly improving Tamba Hali. Denver has Dumervil and bust and bust and fuget-about-it and pray-for-rain.

        And their backups are even worse! (That's why the Broncos DL did nothing in the 4th quarter of games, they wore down and their backups are absolutely miserable: Demetrin Veal? Cut! Kenny Peterson? CFL! Antwon Burton? You gotta be kidding me, right? Engleberger? Gone! Gone! Gone!

        That leaves plenty of openings for some new talent.
        That's as simple and obvious as it gets.
        I agree with you completely on the D-line aspect. we need to draft a good BIG DT(amobi okoye) and pick up an End like Grant or Smith...that would put us over the top.

        BUT!..... I dont agree with your Oline aspect. First of all we lost out LT and that is VERY VERY VERY hard to overcome. Next year SHanny will hopefully realize that the right side if our Oline is bad and he will replace Carlisle with Kuper or Myers and replace Foster with Meadows or Pears. TRUST ME OUR OLINE WILL BE FINE!

        B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

        Mock Draft:

        **If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

        1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
        2) Devin Thomas
        4) Frank Okam
        4) Beau Bell

        **If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

        1) Desean Jackson
        2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
        4) Frank Okam
        4) Beau Bell

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Cugel
          I don't know why so many fans don't understand that elite teams have elite offensive and defensive lines. That's where it starts. You can have all the QBs, WRs and CBs you want go to the pro-bowl, but unless you have a great OL to open up run lanes and protect the QB and unless you have a great DL that gets consistent pressure on the other QB you simply can't come close to a championship! And the Broncos don't have either one!
          Most fans DO realize that the game is won in the trenches, but most fans also realize that we were one (home) game away from the Super Bowl last year. They feel we're close to another SB win. Yes, we need help on the D-line, but we need help in other areas too. Sounds like you're advocating a major overhaul (like when we brought over the Brown-cos). Don't know if picking up 6 new linemen at the expense of other areas of weakness would be that beneficial.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Cugel
            Grant could play RDE in place of Courtney Brown. He'd be a big improvement over Lang and the ever invisible Engleberger (who should finally be released - he's done absolutely nothing in 2 seasons here).

            But Denver does not have quality DTs either. Unless this matter is addressed either through FA or the draft (preferrably both) NO SB for the Broncos next year either.

            I don't know why so many fans don't understand that elite teams have elite offensive and defensive lines. That's where it starts. You can have all the QBs, WRs and CBs you want go to the pro-bowl, but unless you have a great OL to open up run lanes and protect the QB and unless you have a great DL that gets consistent pressure on the other QB you simply can't come close to a championship! And the Broncos don't have either one!

            With the return of Lepsis next year (hopefully) the OL should be stronger (it desparately needs to be!). But the DL will never be any better unless the Broncos DRAFT some elite DL. San Diego has them in Merriman and Castillo. Oakland has one in Burgess (and almost nothing else), KC has Jared Allen and a rapidly improving Tamba Hali. Denver has Dumervil and bust and bust and fuget-about-it and pray-for-rain.

            And their backups are even worse! (That's why the Broncos DL did nothing in the 4th quarter of games, they wore down and their backups are absolutely miserable: Demetrin Veal? Cut! Kenny Peterson? CFL! Antwon Burton? You gotta be kidding me, right? Engleberger? Gone! Gone! Gone!

            That leaves plenty of openings for some new talent.
            That's as simple and obvious as it gets.
            One problem I notice is when we cut our big pass rushers (Pryce, Berry, Hayward), we haven't adequately replaced them. Who'd we replace Berry with? Honestly, who?

            Hayward? We brought in the Browncos.

            Pryce? (Though his cut was justified with what he could do [with the aforementioned replacements] and with his production). We bring in Kenard Lang and draft Dumervil. Dumervil may be good one day, but he's no Pryce. And Lang? More sacks... less pressure. Exactly what kills us.

            There are some potent DT's in the draft and potentially Albert Haynesworth in the FA, we could, but probably won't to the fullest, address the DT position. AKA, I think we'll do something but we won't be too satisfied considering other options available (see Kenard Lang).

            Brown played Power end, I believed... LDE, didn't he? That's Grant's natural position, but he could play either one, given the chance, I think.

            Warren Sapp has had a pretty good year, so I wouldn't say Burgess is their only good D-lineman. Only pro-bowler maybe, but Warren Sapp isn't too bad now, considering his age as well, and Terdell Sands has been a force on the run.

            I hope we address this position, and there should be some viable options in the FA and draft.
            sigpic

            :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

            D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

            :logo:
            Denver Broncos General Manager

            Comment


            • #21
              #1 Why would New Orleans release Charles Grant when they just got into the playoffs. ---They haven't

              #2 Charles Grant is under contract till 2008.

              #3 KEEP DREAMING

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by 22cannon
                #1 Why would New Orleans release Charles Grant when they just got into the playoffs. ---They haven't

                #2 Charles Grant is under contract till 2008.

                #3 KEEP DREAMING
                Everything I've heard says the Saints will release Grant at the end of the season.

                Of course they won't release him during the season... god...

                Charles Grant is a Unrestricted Free Agent this offseason, aka, when the postseason is over.

                It's not farfetched at all...
                sigpic

                :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

                D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

                :logo:
                Denver Broncos General Manager

                Comment


                • #23
                  He signed a 6 year extension in July of 2002. That means he would be out of contract after 2008.

                  Whether he is cut or not I don't know.

                  He has been their sack leader since he joined the team though.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by 22cannon
                    He signed a 6 year extension in July of 2002. That means he would be out of contract after 2008.

                    Whether he is cut or not I don't know.

                    He has been their sack leader since he joined the team though.
                    Will Smith is their sack leader right now, and a pro bowler: 10.5 sacks.

                    I don't know where you are getting a 6 year extension as his contract definately expires at the end of the Saint's season...

                    There have been no talks of resigning and New Orleans appears to be letting him test the FA market.
                    sigpic

                    :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

                    D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

                    :logo:
                    Denver Broncos General Manager

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Since Charles Grant was drafted he leads the teams in Sacks (that is the 5 year leader in sacks)

                      His contract leangth is at the bottom of the profile.
                      http://www.neworleanssaints.com/play...m?playerid=125

                      I have not seen Charles Grant listed on any resource that lists him as a free agent this off season. Nor have I seen reference to his being released. If you have, could you share it?
                      Last edited by 22cannon; 01-05-2007, 08:09 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1072

                        PFW also lists him as a UFA after this season. He was drafted in '02 and signed a six year contract. His contract contains an opt-out clause, probably incentive-based.

                        Anyways, another player of interest would be DeWayne White, who is reportedly not talking extension and is going to test the FA market. He would be a solid mid-level signing...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by WABronco
                          http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=1072

                          PFW also lists him as a UFA after this season. He was drafted in '02 and signed a six year contract. His contract contains an opt-out clause, probably incentive-based.

                          Anyways, another player of interest would be DeWayne White, who is reportedly not talking extension and is going to test the FA market. He would be a solid mid-level signing...
                          I don't think the Bucs can afford to let DeWayne White walk, especially when it looks like Simeon Rice is on his way out too.

                          White is one of their better young Defensive players, oh well, no complaints here if we get him.
                          sigpic

                          :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

                          D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

                          :logo:
                          Denver Broncos General Manager

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            We definitely need an elite or near-elite DE this year, a complete package. That and another big boy in the middle and that'll be sorted.
                            sigpic

                            Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

                            Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Sevenis7
                              Don't know if picking up 6 new linemen at the expense of other areas of weakness would be that beneficial.
                              Since we basically ignored the dline over the past 3+ offseasons, in attempts to bolster other weaknesses, I'd be ok with our top 2 picks concentrated on dline. We've tried everything else.... I think this would go a LONG way in relieving Champ's frustration. Just changing the color of uniforms a player used to wear doesn't seem to have helped improve their game.
                              If Grant or someone like him is available via FA, I'm game on bagging him, but we need to improve at DE and RDT. I think Warren could be ok with some help to his right, but we darn sure need more than 1 guy who requires a double-team. Right now we just don't have a good enough push up the middle. A quality tackle and someone to match an Elvis/Ekuban combo on the other side would really get us set. We need to seriously improve our dline by at least 2 players.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X