Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco-Type O-Lineman

Here is a mid-round prospect I would not be suprised to see Denver Draft:

Wake Forest RT Steve Vallos (6'3"-302). He could easily be moved inside to Guard and will likely be a fourth, fifth or sixth round prospect.

The Broncos have ties to Wake Forest from their Troy Calhoun days, so don't be suprised if this guy somehow ends up on the Broncos roster.

Originally posted by MindField

Wake Forest RT Steve Vallos (6'3"-302). He could easily be moved inside to Guard and will likely be a fourth, fifth or sixth round prospect.

The Broncos have ties to Wake Forest from their Troy Calhoun days, so don't be suprised if this guy somehow ends up on the Broncos roster.
    Hamilton turns 30 next season, so we might pick up a Guard in the next few years to become his heir in the making.

Not sure if it's this guy, or even this draft, so we'll see.
    sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
    Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

He's way too big!

Btw, the Broncos need to reconsider the "type" of linemen they prefer.

Comment

Looks like somebody is planning our draft from watching the Wake Forrest/Louisville game. First Okoye, now Vallos. Any other prospects you noted?

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
          He's way too big!

Btw, the Broncos need to reconsider the "type" of linemen they prefer.
          He's not way too big. Foster is way too big. A lot of tackles in this league are >315lbs. 302lbs is passable here.

Are there any OT prospects from Minnesota? Considering they run a zone blocking scheme.

To Lorcust...I've been plugging this all over the boards for ages but we've probably got the future O-Line core here already (except our future LT)... Myers-Eslinger-Kuper-Pears (hahah, saying the right side out loud...Cooper Pairs except that joke is waaaaaaay too chemistry). Any more draftees will most likely be depth players. I expect Myers and Pears to slot in on the right side in the offseason.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
            He's not way too big. Foster is way too big. A lot of tackles in this league are >315lbs. 302lbs is passable here.

Are there any OT prospects from Minnesota? Considering they run a zone blocking scheme.

To Lorcust...I've been plugging this all over the boards for ages but we've probably got the future O-Line core here already (except our future LT)... Myers-Eslinger-Kuper-Pears (hahah, saying the right side out loud...Cooper Pairs except that joke is waaaaaaay too chemistry). Any more draftees will most likely be depth players. I expect Myers and Pears to slot in on the right side in the offseason.
            Foster is not too big, he is not mobile enough for the tackle position (Partially why we have had former tight ends as tackles), there are a more then a few tackles this year that really fit the Denver line as far as mobility: Joe Staley, Mike Otto, Doug Free, Chase Johnson, Ryan Harris, James Marten and Chris Denman to name but a few or so.

And on your core offensive line statement, I have to laugh...sorry, but I do -- because with how inept our line was throughout the year, if any of those prospects were good enough they would have had more playing time, Bell and Cutler got the nod...so why not them? I am not a homer, so I can easily say that the team is not set on the line. And do not be surprised come the end of day one if we have a new running back, two new defensive lineman and two offensive lineman and one of them to be a stud guard and our future left tackle...chemistry may be there, but possibly not the talent to start at the next level which highly out weights any chemistry argument.

Comment

I think the line really broke down this year for two reasons: Carlisle and Foster knowing their days were numbered (after drafting two interior linemen and signing Meadows who was outplaying Foster in practice) followed by Lepsis' injury which in effect removes the 2i/c from the line on the field.

The three interior O-linemen we drafted in the last two drafts weren't just our usual "sod-it-they-may-be-good" late rounders. They were drafted to start.

As to why we didn't try out these young guys, shall we have a look at the drafted Bronco linemen of the last few years?

Dan Neil: spent his rookie season on the sidelines playing occasionally on special teams. Started in his 2nd season.

Tom Nalen: Was originally on PS in his rookie season and then started after an injury to the LG in november. Spent limited time on the first team line for the rest of the season

Matt Lepsis: first season spent injured, played sparingly on ST in his second and started in his third.

Ben Hamilton: Spent first season inactive and played in NFLE. Started in his second season. Note that he played for Minnesota who I believe run a zone blocking scheme as well.

Cooper Carlisle: three seasons of playing backup and special teams before he started a game; played in limited offensive action in his fourth season. Finally took the starting job in 2005.

George Foster: on the bench for the first season, started second year.

Erik Pears
              : 2005 practice squad, played in NFL-E and was on the All-Europe Team. Started only after Matt went down.

You get the idea. Drafted Bronco linemen spend at least one, maybe two seasons on the bench before they start and only the fastest learners tend to see any action whatsoever in their first season. Which is why we weren't in a position to replace Carlisle this season.
              sigpic

Comment

I hope Denver turns to a bigger oline.

I really think that's what our #2 problem was with putting away games.

Our small guys couldn't get any push, yet pass protect in serious pressure situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                  Hamilton turns 30 next season, so we might pick up a Guard in the next few years to become his heir in the making.

Not sure if it's this guy, or even this draft, so we'll see.
                  Lorcust,

do you think there is anyway Shanny changes to a more conventional O line. A-la the Chiefs or Cowboys from the early 90s. Cutler is not as mobile as Plummer and Elway in the past.

I would like to get away from the Zone Block scheme IMHO

What are your thoughts.
                  NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

I may be dreaming but I'm sure I read a couple years back that one of the reasons for having a smaller O-line is that they don't tire out as quickly as the bigger guys at Mile High. Like I said though, don't quote me on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco16
                      I hope Denver turns to a bigger oline.

I really think that's what our #2 problem was with putting away games.

Our small guys couldn't get any push, yet pass protect in serious pressure situations.
                      I've heard this before and I still don't buy it. Check out this article

I think this part is especially helpful:

"Truth is, bigger isn't better. Better is better," Schlereth said.

Research supports Schlereth's claim.

Since 1980, the two teams with the highest winning percentages — the San Francisco 49ers and Denver — had the lightest offensive lines.

Comment

Working...
                      X