X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawgdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by lancane
    Sad...I mean getting an education is highly important, yet I believe I am more sad that this thread has more of an obvious focus then any here wants to admit? That now Lynch is a very viable athlete the Broncos may target instead of a high profile defensive player? I believe so, because I would bet money if it was a top defensive junior there would be less hoopla using the school thing as an excuse, especially when many on these boards have had at least one underclassmen on their draft boards!
    LOL good point.

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Sad...I mean getting an education is highly important, yet I believe I am more sad that this thread has more of an obvious focus then any here wants to admit? That now Lynch is a very viable athlete the Broncos may target instead of a high profile defensive player? I believe so, because I would bet money if it was a top defensive junior there would be less hoopla using the school thing as an excuse, especially when many on these boards have had at least one underclassmen on their draft boards!

Leave a comment:

• BVP
    replied
    Originally posted by specialblend154
    IMO, i would probably skip my senior year too. what happens if he blows his knee out in his senior year and cant play anymore, then he is screwed. if he gets a nice contract then he can get paid and then go back and finish his last 25 credits or so whenever he likes.
    The same thing happened to Willis McGahee, and look how he has done. You should never be worried about injury, just go out and play.

Leave a comment:

• specialblend154
    replied
    IMO, i would probably skip my senior year too. what happens if he blows his knee out in his senior year and cant play anymore, then he is screwed. if he gets a nice contract then he can get paid and then go back and finish his last 25 credits or so whenever he likes.

Leave a comment:

• BroncosTX77
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    Are his stats on ESPN right in that he NEVER fumbled the ball? Not even once?
    Nope they were incorrect. On the contrary he seems to be fumble prone, ala T. Bell. Here is the proof...

http://scoreboards.aol.com/football/...02/player.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Are his stats on ESPN right in that he NEVER fumbled the ball? Not even once?

Leave a comment:

• Hawgdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Joe
    To each his own. Being a current fulltime college student, school isnt for everyone, and if your like me, your just going through the motions to get that coveted piece of paper so you can get on to doing what you know you already can do.
    I agree, to each his own. I fall in with the Kanye West school of thought here...the piece of paper is meaningless in and of itself. The degree has the sole purpose of opening doors. If a door is opened for you, you should jump on the opportunity. Lynch's stock is excellent right now...let's say he gets injured...how is that degree going to help his future then? It's unfortunate that the professional athlete culture encourages wanton and extravagant spending because with the money many rookies get from their first contract they could be financially independent at 22 or 23.

I think he's wiser for seizing the opportunity. Too many people rely on credentials or school to secure their future and lack the boldness and initiative to make their future their own. BTW, what can a BA get you these days? $13/hr?

please...

It does set something of a bad example, and I concede that. But if I was in Lynch's position, there is no question about what I would do.

Leave a comment:

• xX-Bronco-Xx
    replied
    Originally posted by Snapping Turtle
    I just think you should finish school first.
    Only if you are in a great college like Notre Dame and other places like that.

Leave a comment:

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied

There's a lot to say for doing that. Personally though, if I'm a college junior staring at a multi-million dollar deal with a decent signing bonus (i.e. I'm guaranteed to go in the first round) I take it.

You see too many guys get seriously injured or have poor seasons who return for their senior year and then end up (like Matt Leinart) giving up millions (he would've been the #1 overall pick had he come out as a junior, not Alex Smith) because their draft stock falls, or worse never being able to play at all.

Sorry, but the opportunity to be a millionaire right away beats the crap outta a "sports management" or "political science" degree. Hell, as a first round pick if you (as an athlete) spend as much time picking out a financial advisor and invest wisely as most atheletes do picking out an agent, you probably won't ever need to work again even if you end up as a "bust".

Give me a 10 million dollar signing bonus right now and I'd never have to work again for the rest of my life, unless I wanted to.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Joe
    replied

To each his own. Being a current fulltime college student, school isnt for everyone, and if your like me, your just going through the motions to get that coveted piece of paper so you can get on to doing what you know you already can do.

Leave a comment:

• eaglebronco
    replied
    Sad................

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    players can go back and earn their education so it's cool

Leave a comment:

• Snapping Turtle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied
    Ugh, that is so stupid. I hate when I see that happening. An education is so important.

Unfortunately, most athletes get completely useless degrees, anyway. Nowadays, you can ALWAYS go back to school (even get a degree online). If it's me, I take the money and secure my future. Anybody can get a degree without a ton of effort (the offseason is great for that), especially if you have transferrable credits for 3 years of college already. It's only one more year.

Leave a comment:

• cinnamunmun
    replied
    Ugh, that is so stupid. I hate when I see that happening. An education is so important.
    With that new NFL education program though I think it may work out for some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X