Drafting for character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting for character

I've been impressed with the way certain winning organizations select the right personnel to make a good team. Bill Walsh of the '80s 49ers was known to draft character/desire instead of numbers, and the NE and Denver teams also seem to do the same (ignoring Clarett).

It's unfortunate that draft hype ignores this vital dimension of a promising NFL prospect, but understandable because it is difficult to evaluate or quantify. I hope that Shanny and Bowlen continue to find the right personnel that will augment the Bronco's excellent team chemistry and build upon an already excellent group of players.

In this vein, there are certain NFL prospects that have a reputation for being disruptive, and I hope that Shanny's ego doesn't lead to another Clarett. The first player I think of he might jump on is Brandon Merriweather of the U, but there are probably others.

Do you think the Broncos do a good job of drafting for character? If so, what do you look for? It seems hard to capture this elusive quality.

Well, I definitely think he should take a look at Merriweather. I would love to have this guy, regardless of character issues. The U usually doesn't disappoint when it comes to producing great NFL players. Devin Hester, Ed Reed, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, Frank Gore, Edge, D.J. Williams, the list goes on. I think anyone can change, just look at T.O., he used to be a quiet receiver and now look at him.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderArmour
      Well, I definitely think he should take a look at Merriweather. I would love to have this guy, regardless of character issues. The U usually doesn't disappoint when it comes to producing great NFL players. Devin Hester, Ed Reed, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, Frank Gore, Edge, D.J. Williams, the list goes on. I think anyone can change, just look at T.O., he used to be a quiet receiver and now look at him.
      yeah, and thats hardly scratching the surface of star players to come out of the U....some others include Andre Johnson, Vince Wilfork, Willis McGahee, Reggie Wayne, Jonathan Vilma, Kellan Winslow, Sean Taylor, and Phil Buchanon.

i honestly think it's worth the risk, just put him on a shorter leash than some of the others and if he makes a mistake or two kick him to the curb, but a player with talent like he does at a position where we have very little talent is something that is worth takin a bit of a risk.

Made by Snk16

Comment

In any case I bet we operate a "No sh*t" policy. Anyone who violates it walks. I bet all new arrivals are filled in on that within the first week.
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Working...
        X