Early Defensive Ends Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WABronco
    Can you think of any NFL player-comps for Abiamiri and Anderson?
    I compared Abiamiri to Mike Rucker, so I'm going to stick with that. As for Anderson...a younger Greg Ellis? He has some similarities to Strahan, but needs much more polish to realize such potential.

Comment

What do you guys think of the CU defensive end.....I cant remember whats his name.

Comment

Great Breakdown of the top DE Prospects.

I don't think Denver will draft a DE this year.

They have Kenard Lang with a large contract, Ekuban, Engelberger, Courtney Brown returns and they have Elvis in the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
          What do you guys think of the CU defensive end.....I cant remember whats his name.
          Abraham Wright? He had a fine season, but his size might cost him on draft day. Some estimates I've seen claim he's only about 6'1 250lbs. which would make him one of the lightest ends in football. His best shot will come on a 3-4 team, but even they generally prefer longer athletes, so we'll have to see. I wouldn't be surprised to see him selected as early as the fourth round, and might land in a similar situation to former Buffs end Marques Harris in San Diego. I think he can make a career of it, but he'll have to take the longer way, and I don't think it will be with Denver.

Comment

Round 1) Quentin Moses....

Round 2) Jarvis Moss......

Round 3) Joe Staley.......

Round 3) Mason Crosby....

Jamaal Anderson would be nice too!
            Last edited by stnzed; 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
              Round 1) Quentin Moses....

Round 2) Jarvis Moss......

Round 3) Joe Staley.......

Round 3) Mason Crosby....
              I take it pass rush is a priority with you?

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                I take it pass rush is a priority with you?

It has been aggravating me for years......I'm not a big fan of the Broncos pass rush!

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
                  It has been aggravating me for years......I'm not a big fan of the Broncos pass rush!
                  Same for me. I think it would be awfully brash to completely ignore it on the first day for the what, third, fourth year in a row?

Comment

Same for me. I think it would be awfully brash to completely ignore it on the first day for the what, third, fourth year in a row?

"Brash"? That's a diplomatic way to put it!

Comment

Originally posted by jlarsiii
                      I have a question for you ohno, what about Marcus Thomas? I know he was booted off his college team for character issues, but I wonder what your analysis of him would be. Should we look at this guy in the later rounds of the draft (rd 3+)?

If anyone else wants to answer this as well please be my guest.
                      Thomas is still quite the enigma. Claude Wroten was in a similar situation last year, but Thomas is a superior talent, one some were even calling the next Tommie Harris. He's a little longer than Wroten and seems to have a frame to play a little heavier. His quickness and tenacity in games were unmatched in this year's draft, and had he never been suspended, would rank higher than Okoye (who, by the way, never really faced an elite line this season, save for maybe Dan Mozes and WV). What's most damaging to Thomas regarding the suspension is that it reflected a disregard for authority and the concept of working in a team environment. Repeated team violations, some more serious than football concerns, will be a major put off to teams, and I don't know if he's reliable enough to even draft. Because of his talent, I think he can still go in the second round.

I'd love Thomas the player playing for the Broncos on gamedays, but Thomas the teammate or Thomas the person doesn't sound like the type of player you can count on.

I think character and locker room personalities have more emphasis on the Broncos now more than ever.

Comment

OhNo, what are your thoughts on McBean? Since you're at OSU; I take it you have had some up close and personal views on him. Is he a guy you'd like to see us draft late on day one, is he worth it? I've heard reports as high as the second-round, but as low as the middle-rounds in regards to projections.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                          OhNo, what are your thoughts on McBean? Since you're at OSU; I take it you have had some up close and personal views on him. Is he a guy you'd like to see us draft late on day one, is he worth it? I've heard reports as high as the second-round, but as low as the middle-rounds in regards to projections.
                          I like McBean. The first thing that surprises you about McBean is his frame. He looks skinny for a defensive tackle, with little visible gut or "love handles," for lack of a more appropriate football term. It isn't that he is just some chiseled freak like courtney Brown was in college, but he has a more muscular, athletic build for a defensive tackle. His size might make him an option as a left end or a 3-4 end in some schemes I suppose, but I haven't really looked at him as anything other than a 4-3 tackle.

McBean is very quick and can be disruptive when not taking on double teams. He doesn't get a lot of movement in the trenches and can be blown off the ball by double teams. His best attributes are his frame, which can still add more weight, and his athleticism, which could make him a better pass rusher as a pro than he was in college. I see him as more of a third round talent in the sense of the term, but as for this draft specifically I'm not sure.

Comment

Dream

Notice the difference? HA

Comment

That is because they took d-lineman really high for many years before that and every one of them turned out bad. This team just is bad at judging talent with d-lineman.

Comment

I don't know what the feeling around is here, but I take it you still aren't terribly well liked. I gave you my honest assesments of of the players you listed, without ever personally attacking you, but since you care to bring the subject up, it speaks to your inner cries for respect...

As for Huff, I only recall my comments being that he is not the greatest safety out there, but he would be the top corner in the draft. He looked solid at safety but I have yet to read any "ED Reed" comparisons, so what's your point? You also conveniently fail to recall that I also called out Jimmy Williams as an overrated athlete and not a top selection (bingo), that Wimberly was a 3-4 end and not a defensive end (check), that Chad Jackson would be the biggest draft riser for wideouts (check again), and that Lawson would be the draft's DeMarcus Ware in terms of rising into the first round. If I was wrong more often then right, I don't think my opinion would carry any weight around here. Obviously there are those that respect what I have to say and have said so.

For someone who has a long history of making posts with a holier than thou tone, I find it ironic that you chose to attack me in such a way.
                                Well, you know as well as I do your response comes from previous issues you and I have had with each other. YOU responded to my post....and you could just choose to let it pass by without comment, but alas, you could not resist. That makes you petty to say the least.

You are more talk than anything else...

Chad Jackson the fastest riser in the Draft, eh? Last time I checked, he FELL out of the first round into the second after once being considered by some to be a Top 10 talent... (un-check).

Williams was projected by alot of sources to be a 'most likely to bust' prospect, so you simply jumped on the bandwagon there...(double un-check)

Manny Lawson was selected, what 22nd?? (BTW, about where 90% of the Draft info sources said he would...make that triple un-check)...In draft terms, that's night and day from DeMarcus Ware being selected eleventh, and to folow them in their Rookie years, it is clear Ware is a much better player than Lawson is....and I'm sorry, but Wimberly being projected as a 3-4 OLB did not originate with you, the fact that you would claim that at all is laughable....so I would say, including your Huff comments (who, despite your ducking the issue is said by most scouts to be on the fast track to being a Pro Bowl calibur player, and had an outstanding Rookie campaing), that your overall projections were what they are, decidedly ameatur.....and it is YOU, my friend, that has the crying need for respect and/or attention, otherwise, why mention your so-called achievements here at all? The good ones NEVER need to TELL you how good they are....but since you are keeping score, I think anyone could project players the way you did with all of the information available about first or second round talents. Want a challenge? Try to pick out players from the mid to later rounds, such as what I did with Alabama's Mark Anderson last year, or Philly's Trent Cole two years ago. You weren't quite sharp enough to catch it, but the players I generally project or review are those type of players.....but I also posted here that I thought Pitt WR Greg Lee was going to be a player too, so what are you going to do?
                                For me, THAT is the challenge. Anyone could tell you Quentin Moses, or Gaines Adams, or the other players you mentioned will go approx first to second round, I mean, just read a little PFW, or ESPN Insider, or watch a little Mayock on the Network and, as they say, viola'...so your not exactly breaking new ground here, so check yourself...or the Ghost of Vernand Morency (remember your pro-, OSU homer-like comments about him?) will forever haunt your projections

Look, I think you are a typical College kid that follows the Draft with interest. I think that's great. I was once that kid too. Fantastic. I also believe you are entitled to your opinion. If you notice, I did not comment on the players you listed or what you thought of them, I merely just listed some others that bear watching. I also did not (despite your insinuation) comment on if I thought they would be successful in the NFL or not, because I don't know enough yet. Inevitably, I will hit on some, and miss on others, just like every other so-called Draft 'expert' or afficianado does. As I tell my kids when they think they are great at something, until they are paying you for your talents, your right down here in the swamp with the rest of the wannabees...

As far as being well-liked or not on these boards, you should have been able to tell from my posts along time ago that I could care less. I learned along time ago that the TRUTH, especially around here, often hurts...but somebody has to be the voice of reason in the Orange fantasy-land that is all too often this messageboard.

But to stop this nonsense between you and I, and also prevent the risk of serving a ban from inflamatory conversation, you can simply avoid comment on my posts, and I will do the same with yours.

That's not too tough, is it?
                                Last edited by MindField; 01-05-2007, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X