Why does Denver pick #21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Denver pick #21?

According to ESPN and all their mocks, Denver is at pick number 21. They also go on to state, that because of the playoffs, the top 20 picks are "locked". According to their mocks, the NYGiants pick at #20.

According to the NFL rules, when it comes to draft order, all the non playoff teams are supposed to pick before all the playoff teams, reguardless of record.

If the top 20 picks are "locked", and the Giants have the 20th pick, they could foreseeably win the SUperBowl, AND get the 20th pick. I know that isn't right.

If the top 20 picks are "locked", and Denver doesn't pick in the top 20, they could foreseeably drop from 21st pick, to even further down.

What am I missing here?

Denver still has a better record than the Giants and the Broncos will pick #21 unless the Giants make it to the Super Bowl; which is my understanding. It's weird; maybe they're wrong. . . I'm not sure. I've been trying to figure it out but I'm just going to go with it; that one space does mean a lot though in terms of value.

Comment

I understand why we do but it seems kind of stupid that the Giants are ahead of us when they are in and we arent.

Then again seems stupid to me Division record comes before Conference.

Oh well hopefully they make the superbowl (jk they wont though from a draft pov i wouldn't mind it)
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I think the way it works is that non-playoff teams will select before playoff teams only as a tie breaker.

Since the Giants are 8-8 they will select before us unless they make the Superbowl. They will select 31/ 32 if they do.

If you go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, everyone with 9 wins and fewer will select before you unless they made it to the Superbowl. The 10-6 teams that made the playoffs will select after you regardless of strength of schedule.
        You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

We trade it for a better 1st rounder or a bunch of picks. I guarentee we don't pick from #21.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
            Denver still has a better record than the Giants and the Broncos will pick #21 unless the Giants make it to the Super Bowl; which is my understanding. It's weird; maybe they're wrong. . . I'm not sure. I've been trying to figure it out but I'm just going to go with it; that one space does mean a lot though in terms of value.

If that's the case then, I am seriously jumping on the Giants bandwagon to get to the SuperBowl, and I hate the Giants.

The things I won't do to get a better draft position, even if it's 1 slot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkana7
              We trade it for a better 1st rounder or a bunch of picks. I guarentee we don't pick from #21.

That's a pretty hefty guarantee.

We don't have the ammo we had last year to move up, so maybe it means another year Denver doesn't pick in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                That's a pretty hefty guarantee.

We don't have the ammo we had last year to move up, so maybe it means another year Denver doesn't pick in the first round.
                Having the extra first-rounder helped, but the Broncos have that additional pick from the Redskins to use if they wanted to move up. If I were the Broncos I'd sit where I'm at in the first-round unless an impact player; say Top 10-15 were to slide just a little. What the Broncos can do is merge their second-rounder and their third-rounder from the Redskins and move up in the top five selections in the second-rounder. . . maybe even as high as the late-first; where another good prospect could be added. . . or move up with our own third packaged with the second and get higher up in round two; where another "impact" player could be found.

The highest we can go in Round One is probably pick 14/15. . . and we'd have to use the third from the Redskins, if a player like Lynch, Ginn, etc. is there. . . by all means do it; but otherwise I'd say no.

Comment

Working...
                X