No announcement yet.

Broncos Needs-Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, we HAVE to get a better punter. Ernster completely dropped off once he was given the job.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
      By the way, we HAVE to get a better punter. Ernster completely dropped off once he was given the job.
      First year punters. Do your research and you'll see that just about every punter has a crap first season starting. After then it usually gets better by quite a lot. Ernster has been average punting this season. Good kickoffs. But can I just draw you to two names: Micah Knorr. Jason Baker (although he's actually pretty damn good now). Think back to then and now Ernster seems like a bit of a stud doesn't he?
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
        First year punters. Do your research and you'll see that just about every punter has a crap first season starting. After then it usually gets better by quite a lot. Ernster has been average punting this season. Good kickoffs. But can I just draw you to two names: Micah Knorr. Jason Baker (although he's actually pretty damn good now). Think back to then and now Ernster seems like a bit of a stud doesn't he?
        No he doesn't. 28th in the league is not average by the way.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

We even had Mat McBriar for a year...he's now an excellent punter for Dallas.

Comment

Actually he's 22nd for net average which is what really matters. Below average maybe, but not shocking for a first year starter. Shall we take a peak at first years for punters?

Ernster: 41.7yd avg, 36.6yd net average

Mat McBriar (I was upset when we cut him...couldn't kickoff so Knorr won by default. Eh. What could we do? If only we had had Jay then, he could've kicked off and Knorr would've been history ): 42.4yd average, 35.1yd net avg

Mitch Berger (second year): 41.1yd avg, 32.4yd net

Josh Bidwell: 38.5yd avg, 34.6yd net

Chris Gardocki: 42.9yd avg, 36.2yd net

Brad Maynard: 40.8avg, 34.6yd net

Todd Sauerbrun: 37.8yd avg, 31.1yd net

And just if Jason Baker or Micah Knorr mean nothing to you:

MK 2002 - Punts: 71; Avg: 39.9yds; Net avg 34.8yds
            MK 2003 - Punts: 68; Avg: 43.2yds; Net avg 32.2yds
            MK 2004 - Punts: 54; Avg: 41.5yds; Net avg 34.2yds

JB 2004 - Punts: 24; Avg: 38.8yds; Net avg: 31.6yds

And no, our ST coverage hasn't gotten any better. In fact...I'm tempted to say it's worse.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Actually he's 22nd for net average which is what really matters. Below average maybe, but not shocking for a first year starter. Shall we take a peak at first years for punters?

Ernster: 41.7yd avg, 36.6yd net average

Mat McBriar (I was upset when we cut him...couldn't kickoff so Knorr won by default. Eh. What could we do? If only we had had Jay then, he could've kicked off and Knorr would've been history ): 42.4yd average, 35.1yd net avg

Mitch Berger (second year): 41.1yd avg, 32.4yd net

Josh Bidwell: 38.5yd avg, 34.6yd net

Chris Gardocki: 42.9yd avg, 36.2yd net

Brad Maynard: 40.8avg, 34.6yd net

Todd Sauerbrun: 37.8yd avg, 31.1yd net

And just if Jason Baker or Micah Knorr mean nothing to you:

MK 2002 - Punts: 71; Avg: 39.9yds; Net avg 34.8yds
              MK 2003 - Punts: 68; Avg: 43.2yds; Net avg 32.2yds
              MK 2004 - Punts: 54; Avg: 41.5yds; Net avg 34.2yds

JB 2004 - Punts: 24; Avg: 38.8yds; Net avg: 31.6yds

And no, our ST coverage hasn't gotten any better. In fact...I'm tempted to say it's worse.
              Odd, I thought our punt coverage was one of our few bright spots on STs this year. I mean we gave up very few decent returns. Are you trying to say that's Ernster's doing? Considering his hangtime is nothing to right home about I don't see how that's the case.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

BTW your list only serves to illustrate how terrible our punting has been over the last few years, it doesn't prove that Ernster is any good. I'm personally not satisfied with the 22nd ranked net punter--field position is far too important to be below-average in this area. I hope you're right about his struggles being due to his first year because our punting hurt us much of the latter half of the season.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Working...
                X