Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    BTW your list only serves to illustrate how terrible our punting has been over the last few years, it doesn't prove that Ernster is any good. I'm personally not satisfied with the 22nd ranked net punter--field position is far too important to be below-average in this area. I hope you're right about his struggles being due to his first year because our punting hurt us much of the latter half of the season.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    Originally posted by muse
    Actually he's 22nd for net average which is what really matters. Below average maybe, but not shocking for a first year starter. Shall we take a peak at first years for punters?

Ernster: 41.7yd avg, 36.6yd net average

Mat McBriar (I was upset when we cut him...couldn't kickoff so Knorr won by default. Eh. What could we do? If only we had had Jay then, he could've kicked off and Knorr would've been history ): 42.4yd average, 35.1yd net avg

Mitch Berger (second year): 41.1yd avg, 32.4yd net

Josh Bidwell: 38.5yd avg, 34.6yd net

Chris Gardocki: 42.9yd avg, 36.2yd net

Brad Maynard: 40.8avg, 34.6yd net

Todd Sauerbrun: 37.8yd avg, 31.1yd net

And just if Jason Baker or Micah Knorr mean nothing to you:

MK 2002 - Punts: 71; Avg: 39.9yds; Net avg 34.8yds
    MK 2003 - Punts: 68; Avg: 43.2yds; Net avg 32.2yds
    MK 2004 - Punts: 54; Avg: 41.5yds; Net avg 34.2yds

JB 2004 - Punts: 24; Avg: 38.8yds; Net avg: 31.6yds

And no, our ST coverage hasn't gotten any better. In fact...I'm tempted to say it's worse.
    Odd, I thought our punt coverage was one of our few bright spots on STs this year. I mean we gave up very few decent returns. Are you trying to say that's Ernster's doing? Considering his hangtime is nothing to right home about I don't see how that's the case.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    Actually he's 22nd for net average which is what really matters. Below average maybe, but not shocking for a first year starter. Shall we take a peak at first years for punters?

Ernster: 41.7yd avg, 36.6yd net average

Mat McBriar (I was upset when we cut him...couldn't kickoff so Knorr won by default. Eh. What could we do? If only we had had Jay then, he could've kicked off and Knorr would've been history ): 42.4yd average, 35.1yd net avg

Mitch Berger (second year): 41.1yd avg, 32.4yd net

Josh Bidwell: 38.5yd avg, 34.6yd net

Chris Gardocki: 42.9yd avg, 36.2yd net

Brad Maynard: 40.8avg, 34.6yd net

Todd Sauerbrun: 37.8yd avg, 31.1yd net

And just if Jason Baker or Micah Knorr mean nothing to you:

MK 2002 - Punts: 71; Avg: 39.9yds; Net avg 34.8yds
    MK 2003 - Punts: 68; Avg: 43.2yds; Net avg 32.2yds
    MK 2004 - Punts: 54; Avg: 41.5yds; Net avg 34.2yds

JB 2004 - Punts: 24; Avg: 38.8yds; Net avg: 31.6yds

And no, our ST coverage hasn't gotten any better. In fact...I'm tempted to say it's worse.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    First year punters. Do your research and you'll see that just about every punter has a crap first season starting. After then it usually gets better by quite a lot. Ernster has been average punting this season. Good kickoffs. But can I just draw you to two names: Micah Knorr. Jason Baker (although he's actually pretty damn good now). Think back to then and now Ernster seems like a bit of a stud doesn't he?
    We even had Mat McBriar for a year...he's now an excellent punter for Dallas.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    First year punters. Do your research and you'll see that just about every punter has a crap first season starting. After then it usually gets better by quite a lot. Ernster has been average punting this season. Good kickoffs. But can I just draw you to two names: Micah Knorr. Jason Baker (although he's actually pretty damn good now). Think back to then and now Ernster seems like a bit of a stud doesn't he?
    No he doesn't. 28th in the league is not average by the way.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    Originally posted by DancingHorsey
    By the way, we HAVE to get a better punter. Ernster completely dropped off once he was given the job.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    By the way, we HAVE to get a better punter. Ernster completely dropped off once he was given the job.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    Originally posted by jletourneau
    Marshawn Lynch would likely fit in well here, but I just don't see him lasting until pick 21.

I would like to see us draft a WR, but not in round 1. We have 3 picks, at least, between rounds 2-3 where I think we could add some speed.

I agree with the suggestion of bringing in Daniel Graham, as I believe he and Scheffler would be a great combo from the TE position.

I'm hoping we look o-line and d-line in rounds 1 and 2, particularly at the tackle positions.

A sleeper pick for LATE in the draft I would really like to see is one that would be somewhat familiar to us. Talented Georgia backs with injury history have flourished here, and Danny Ware was on the fast track a couple years ago. I think Ware could be an excellent sleeper pick in the later rounds of the draft, and hopefully keep healthy enough to add to the legacy of Georgia/Denver's very own T.D. and Olandis Gary.
    I wouldn't assume that we won't try and move up in the draft. I definitely have a feeling Shanny is going to try and get a feature back in the first round. He likes offense too much to be at all happy with the underwhelming performance of the Bells.

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    Marshawn Lynch would likely fit in well here, but I just don't see him lasting until pick 21.

I would like to see us draft a WR, but not in round 1. We have 3 picks, at least, between rounds 2-3 where I think we could add some speed.

I agree with the suggestion of bringing in Daniel Graham, as I believe he and Scheffler would be a great combo from the TE position.

I'm hoping we look o-line and d-line in rounds 1 and 2, particularly at the tackle positions.

A sleeper pick for LATE in the draft I would really like to see is one that would be somewhat familiar to us. Talented Georgia backs with injury history have flourished here, and Danny Ware was on the fast track a couple years ago. I think Ware could be an excellent sleeper pick in the later rounds of the draft, and hopefully keep healthy enough to add to the legacy of Georgia/Denver's very own T.D. and Olandis Gary.

Leave a comment:

• Tour
    replied
    I think that since we got Cutler we can became into a potency offence, i think we should trade up and draft Ted Ginn and then another resiver on FA or Draft. Obviously you can build a team around Cutler i would be very disapointed if we cant.

And as i said before, we need a power RB that could handle 30 to 35 attemps per game, i think it doesnt matter how we get him, whether FA or draft.

I think we got just enough depth in OL, Jay Culter said that the offensive line has been making a good job, eventhough after him being knocked down by bad protection i dont what to think.
    Last edited by Tour; 01-06-2007, 12:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Den21-Bal19
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField
    It is easy to say we need a veteran backup, but who?

Remember, Gary Kubiak was a rookie the same year Elway was, and he did OK.
    Wasn't Kube 3rd on the depth chart behind Elway/DeBerg in '83?

I think maybe part of the conceptual problem is that not many have seen Parson's play, I certainly haven't.

I'd prefer to get some experience not only to back Cutler up, but to be a mentor to him. I'm not sure who would be available though.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField

The league isn't what it was 20 years ago. It's light years faster, and that's the most significant difference from college to the NFL.

I know what you're saying though, who? Shanahan needs to find somebody though. You don't want a backup coming in with absolutely no confidence though.

Too many question marks, and I don't like the idea of spending a middle round pick on a player who isn't looking to see the field as a starter anytime soon, and cannot even contibute on special team's. He could possibly never see the field.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Well

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
    Drafting a backup QB is NOT the way to go. Denver will need to sign a veteran or someone with even a little experience. Considering all of Denver's other needs, if they are going to waste a pick on a QB, it better be 6th-7th round, and there isn't anyone in that area that could be a backup anyways.

I hate bringing this up considering the tragic events, but is anyone else concerned that there is a descent possability that Javon Walker will not want to return with the Broncos?

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Drafting a backup QB is NOT the way to go. Denver will need to sign a veteran or someone with even a little experience. Considering all of Denver's other needs, if they are going to waste a pick on a QB, it better be 6th-7th round, and there isn't anyone in that area that could be a backup anyways.

I hate bringing this up considering the tragic events, but is anyone else concerned that there is a descent possability that Javon Walker will not want to return with the Broncos?

Leave a comment:

• OrAnGe CrUsH!!
    replied
    Muse is also right

I HAVE BACKED UP JAKE AS WELL HE'S HAD ABOUT 3 BAD GAMES AND EVERYBODY HATES HIM. HE'S JUST MADE A FEW MISTAKES... and you can't do jack about it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X