X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Needs-Defense

D-Line:

Geez, where do we begin??!

Gerard Warren is a fixture at LDT, that much we know.....will Michael Myers return at the other DT spot? My opinion is he probably will. My thinking is he will get a three year deal similar to that Kenard Lang signed. Antwan Burton showed considerable promise in TC last year, and is a player to watch for the future. Demetrin Veal is signed through 2008, so he figures to make the roster next year...As I have said, I really like the idea of drafting a DT or DE in the first and the opposite positon in the second round...such as:

1.) DT Amobi Okoye, Lousiville (6'1'-300+)
    2.) DE Akaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii (6'5"-265)

or

1.) DE Adam Carriker, Nebraska (6'6"-298)
    2.) DT Marcus Thomas, Florida (6'2"-292)

The Broncos have to try and target two potential startes in the Draft.

As far as the DE's go, Ebeneezer Ekuban and Kenard Lang are best suited as backups at this point in their careers, although I do believe they could be critical rotational players, and could go nicely with a rookie DE and a vet like Simeon Rice, as well as Elvis Dumervil.

My Take: The problem here is, no one is sure if Shanahan agrees with all of this...

LB's

Solid to very good, even if I think Ian Gold is over-rated.
    My Take: This unit will probably remain largely the same, with some change for depth, but probably nothing earth-shaking...look fr Cameron Vaugh to make the team in 2007, however.

DB's

Champ is the best Corner in the game, and with the tragic passing of Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth will likely become the starter, and young Karl Paymah will become the Nickle. It also means the Broncos will probably draft another young corner to add to the mix.

The Safety position is an enigma...Lynch will likely return for another year, as will Nick Ferguson and Sam Brandon from injuries.

The Broncos are high on youngsters Curome Cox and Hamza Abdullah, so you wonder just how much of a need position the Broncos view this one as...

My Take: Still, I would expect one player to be aded to this positon on Day One.

Punter: Paul Ernster is likely to have major competiton next year.

Special Teams.
    Alot has to happen here, from coverage to kick returns. Again, Darrent Williams will be missed on punt returns, and Quincy Morgan will probabaly not be back. Brian Clark looked extremely tentative in his opportunities to return kickoffs, so he probably will not have that job next season. David Kircus got better on punt returns as the season went along, and may develop further, but with the news leaking that Shanahan considered Miami's Devon Hester with the second round pick, you have to wonder if a player like a Ted Ginn, Jr. won't be selected to return kicks. Domenik Hixon will also get a long look here.

The coverages will have to be improved, and I would not be suprised if the only coaching change the Broncos make is on Special Teams.

Sleeper to keep your eye on: U of Houston's WR/KR Vincent Marshall...yes he is small at 5'8"-178, but he is an electric player on returns, and may figure in as the second third round pick, particularly if he runs a sub 4.5/40 in postseason workouts.

I hope we can sign a new starting safety like Michael Lewis, and then we can use the draft to get some good defensive lineman. The defensive line should be the first priority in the draft, because thats the only place you can get good d-lineman.

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by BroncoStampede
      I hope we can sign a new starting safety like Michael Lewis, and then we can use the draft to get some good defensive lineman. The defensive line should be the first priority in the draft, because thats the only place you can get good d-lineman.

I agree....but that the drill with Shanahan....you never know what HE thinks...

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
        D-Line:

Geez, where do we begin??!

Gerard Warren is a fixture at LDT, that much we know.....will Michael Myers return at the other DT spot? My opinion is he probably will. My thinking is he will get a three year deal similar to that Kenard Lang signed. Antwan Burton showed considerable promise in TC last year, and is a player to watch for the future. Demetrin Veal is signed through 2008, so he figures to make the roster next year...As I have said, I really like the idea of drafting a DT or DE in the first and the opposite positon in the second round...such as:

1.) DT Amobi Okoye, Lousiville (6'1'-300+)
        2.) DE Akaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii (6'5"-265)

or

1.) DE Adam Carriker, Nebraska (6'6"-298)
        2.) DT Marcus Thomas, Florida (6'2"-292)

The Broncos have to try and target two potential startes in the Draft.

As far as the DE's go, Ebeneezer Ekuban and Kenard Lang are best suited as backups at this point in their careers, although I do believe they could be critical rotational players, and could go nicely with a rookie DE and a vet like Simeon Rice, as well as Elvis Dumervil.

My Take: The problem here is, no one is sure if Shanahan agrees with all of this...

LB's

Solid to very good, even if I think Ian Gold is over-rated.
        My Take: This unit will probably remain largely the same, with some change for depth, but probably nothing earth-shaking...look fr Cameron Vaugh to make the team in 2007, however.

DB's

Champ is the best Corner in the game, and with the tragic passing of Darrent Williams, Dominique Foxworth will likely become the starter, and young Karl Paymah will become the Nickle. It also means the Broncos will probably draft another young corner to add to the mix.

The Safety position is an enigma...Lynch will likely return for another year, as will Nick Ferguson and Sam Brandon from injuries.

The Broncos are high on youngsters Curome Cox and Hamza Abdullah, so you wonder just how much of a need position the Broncos view this one as...

My Take: Still, I would expect one player to be aded to this positon on Day One.

Punter: Paul Ernster is likely to have major competiton next year.

Special Teams.
        Alot has to happen here, from coverage to kick returns. Again, Darrent Williams will be missed on punt returns, and Quincy Morgan will probabaly not be back. Brian Clark looked extremely tentative in his opportunities to return kickoffs, so he probably will not have that job next season. David Kircus got better on punt returns as the season went along, and may develop further, but with the news leaking that Shanahan considered Miami's Devon Hester with the second round pick, you have to wonder if a player like a Ted Ginn, Jr. won't be selected to return kicks. Domenik Hixon will also get a long look here.

The coverages will have to be improved, and I would not be suprised if the only coaching change the Broncos make is on Special Teams.

Sleeper to keep your eye on: U of Houston's WR/KR Vincent Marshall...yes he is small at 5'8"-178, but he is an electric player on returns, and may figure in as the second third round pick, particularly if he runs a sub 4.5/40 in postseason workouts.
        sub 4.5 is not very fast anymore for a guy 5'8 170 lbs. if he wants to be drafted in the 3rd round he better run a 4.3

Made by Snk16

Comment

We'd be fine at safety if Lynch moved back to SS and Brandon become the opposite.

Sam Brandon is a very good player who often get's overlooked because he's constantly playing out of position at CB or in singel coverage at safety.

He would be just fine starting, if he can stay healthy.

Comment

Is it just me or is drafting DEs always high risk? We've had a fair share of chodes in our time. Paul Toviessi anyone? I agree with going for a great vet like Justin Smith as well as drafting a DE...although in that case prioritising DT over DE.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
              Is it just me or is drafting DEs always high risk? We've had a fair share of chodes in our time. Paul Toviessi anyone? I agree with going for a great vet like Justin Smith as well as drafting a DE...although in that case prioritising DT over DE.
              It is high risk, which is why we should plan on doing it often. Not always a high pick or day one even. But consistently so that if someone busts we aren't hurting for years afterwards.

Also so that the guys with low motivation know there is someone breathing down their neck.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by TheChampion
                sub 4.5 is not very fast anymore for a guy 5'8 170 lbs. if he wants to be drafted in the 3rd round he better run a 4.3
                That's nice to say, but the realtiy is, only a handful of players run a sub 4.4 at the combine, at any position, so I would have to disagree...Wes Welker is a little guy with average speed, but is a good kick returner...it's more about instinct and feel for where the holes will open up, and Marshall was a very impressive player to me in the two games I saw him play in.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by muse

That's true of any starting position...look at the trouble Shanahan has had a drafting and deveolping WR's...if fact he has yet to do so...Ashley Lelie was the closest thing to success....or how about Corners? Darrent Williams and Dominique Foxworth broke a string of busts Shanahan drafted at that position...

The bottom line to me is, you have to try and draft to the strengths of the draft as far as the talent available, and not force picks out of need at a particular positon. We did that with Lelie, and in doing so, passed on Ed Reed, who was clearly the better player available, but the need was so great at WR, we took Lelie.

Fortunately, there looks to be a reasonably good supply of D-Lineman available...but remember, the best DE taken in the last Draft was a fifth rounder, Alabama's Mark Anderson....you just have to be good at projecting what your needs are and how you can fill them as it relates to the depth of the draftable players.

Up until last year, the Broncos have been pretty poor at doing this, but the last Draft, at least so far, looks like the best of the Shanahan era, so maybe they have turned the corner...

Let's hope so

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
                    That's nice to say, but the realtiy is, only a handful of players run a sub 4.4 at the combine, at any position, so I would have to disagree...Wes Welker is a little guy with average speed, but is a good kick returner...it's more about instinct and feel for where the holes will open up, and Marshall was a very impressive player to me in the two games I saw him play in.
                    sorry, but i'm gonna have to go on a limb and say you don't use a 1st day draft choice on a return guy with average speed and physical ability.

Made by Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
                      We'd be fine at safety if Lynch moved back to SS and Brandon become the opposite.

Sam Brandon is a very good player who often get's overlooked because he's constantly playing out of position at CB or in singel coverage at safety.

He would be just fine starting, if he can stay healthy.

Honestly the title SS doesnt even matter anymore. If you watch the games closely when Lynch and Ferguson were there Lynch was essentially a fourth linebacker on many downs. In our system the "FS" is alot like teams "SS"
                      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Working...
                      X