Analyzing Our Draft Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analyzing Our Draft Situation

This is my initial analysis of the options we should explore/not explore to improve the broncos through the draft:

Address the D-Line.
    Make your own arguement for whatever guy you think would be the best. As long as he is NOT undersized, I will be in agreement. We have too many undersized speedsters, that should theoretically rush the passer- but don't do it consistently. Enough of that, we need a beast on the inside. Branch would be the most amazing fit, but I honestly think he's not falling out of the Top 7. Warren needs someone beside him to truly be effective, and lets be honest...besides warren our DT's are pretty much NFL europe quality. (not literally- but you feel me)

Do NOT draft a RB in the first round!
    Besides Lynch, there is no one else who I can see being worth our 1st round pick. People can make an arguement for Bush, but i saw that kid on the sidelines and he looks insanely overweight and out of shape from his season-ending injury. Maybe he gets himself together for the combine, but at this point i'm not impressed. People are talking about Kenny Irons as well... I'll stand by my point- NO RB in the FIRST! (unless lynch fell into our lap). If Lynch fell to us at #21, i don't think we could pass. Otherwise, let shanny grab he's piece of 5th-7th round gold. As a sidenote- I think Tatum WILL be back next year.

What about the safety position?
    With big names like Nelson (fla st.), Griffin (tex) and Landry (lsu)- how can we not have a look at one of these guys. No one is sure how Ferguson will rebound from his devastating ACL injury, nor are we sure how long John Lynch will last. Sam Brandon is also done with an injury. Cox, Abdullah, Cargile or any other of our blue-collar backups do not fill me with much confidence. I don't care what people say...this is a PRESSING need. We have very little depth at this position and its pretty frightening. Perhaps we draft Meriweather (Miami-fla) in the second round?

The return game/ #2-3 WR
    I think this has been discussed in depth in my Ted Ginn thread. The fact is... if this kid falls, he will fill multiple holes on this team. Dispite any of the flaws that you can conjure up...this kid has game breaking speed, hands and return skills. period.
    For the record he is 6 feet, 175-180lbs.

O-Line Depth!
    This can and will be addressed in the later rounds. Foster will be cut and I won't be surprised if we see our 2nd 3rd rounder dedicated to the LT position.

**THIS IS VERY EARLY AND I WILL RELEASE A MUCH MORE IN DEPTH ANALYSIS IN MID FEB.
    Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Originally posted by tdot_bronco
    This is my initial analysis of the options we should explore/not explore to improve the broncos through the draft:

Address the D-Line.
    Make your own arguement for whatever guy you think would be the best. As long as he is NOT undersized, I will be in agreement. We have too many undersized speedsters, that should theoretically rush the passer- but don't do it consistently. Enough of that, we need a beast on the inside. Branch would be the most amazing fit, but I honestly think he's not falling out of the Top 7. Warren needs someone beside him to truly be effective, and lets be honest...besides warren our DT's are pretty much NFL europe quality. (not literally- but you feel me)

Besides Lynch, there is no one else who I can see being worth our 1st round pick. People can make an arguement for Bush, but i saw that kid on the sidelines and he looks insanely overweight and out of shape from his season-ending injury. Maybe he gets himself together for the combine, but at this point i'm not impressed. People are talking about Kenny Irons as well... I'll stand by my point- NO RB in the FIRST! (unless lynch fell into our lap). If Lynch fell to us at #21, i don't think we could pass. Otherwise, let shanny grab he's piece of 5th-7th round gold. As a sidenote- I think Tatum WILL be back next year.

What about the safety position?
    With big names like Nelson (fla st.), Griffin (tex) and Landry (lsu)- how can we not have a look at one of these guys. No one is sure how Ferguson will rebound from his devastating ACL injury, nor are we sure how long John Lynch will last. Sam Brandon is also done with an injury. Cox, Abdullah, Cargile or any other of our blue-collar backups do not fill me with much confidence. I don't care what people say...this is a PRESSING need. We have very little depth at this position and its pretty frightening. Perhaps we draft Meriweather (Miami-fla) in the second round?

The return game/ #2-3 WR
    I think this has been discussed in depth in my Ted Ginn thread. The fact is... if this kid falls, he will fill multiple holes on this team. Dispite any of the flaws that you can conjure up...this kid has game breaking speed, hands and return skills. period.
    For the record he is 6 feet, 175-180lbs.

O-Line Depth!
    This can and will be addressed in the later rounds. Foster will be cut and I won't be surprised if we see our 2nd 3rd rounder dedicated to the LT position.

**THIS IS VERY EARLY AND I WILL RELEASE A MUCH MORE IN DEPTH ANALYSIS IN MID FEB.

Denver will address some defensive line issues...but do not forget what organization this is, I am not targeting you in general, but half of the Denver fanbase is forgetting -- this is Denver, if there was ever an offensive football city and team...this would be it, our history is laced with offensive standouts, we had it missing and that is why Shanahan went out and got Cutler, Walker, Marshall, Scheffler and he is far from done! We need to remember Bowlen, as well as Ol' Humdinger are both offense orientated as well -- one being the owner and the other the Assistant Head Coach...that means offense comes first and what is it they saw this seasons? A crappy offensive line and a weak running game that saw us rely again on many backs, though the overall outcome was alright, I would bet any vital organ they are far from satisfied, and with Williams passing away, you can bet your top dollar and then some they are eager to try and reach a championship in his memory! That means they will plug some holes but they will look to make those major offensive weak spots a thing of the past.

One point I want to make clear, and you can take it to the bank is that Shanahan will not give a high first day pick for any player on the market, over half are on the back ends' of their career, so Freeney and other such Restricted Free Agents are out, him trading for a player is possible, but doubtful. Denver will look to more easy accessable players then wasting their draft picks, not unless they get real value -- and this year there is some value, but they will want someone to come in with the mental awareness of how angry this team is and will be come the beginning of the season.

As far as the Offensive Line -- The organization will not let Cutler take hits as he did against San Francisco, in my mind that will rocket Shanahan's priority list first and foremost and any lineman incapable will find their butts off the roster, I expect Denver to go for a top shelf guard, not tackle...even if either Myers or Kuper are ready, they are more likely slated for the right side and Nalen will likely retire, even though he may hesitate, I think the team will try and push for it because of the weak season he did have, they will move Hamilton over in my honest opinion till Eslinger is ready, but they need a dominant left guard, one that knows the pass as well as the run and Hamilton though a top shelf guard is a bit weak in the pass protection area -- this a top Lepsis's issues may force Denver to take two first day offensive lineman. Foster may have had a shot at the guard spot, but he could bring a draft pick with his first round pedigree and I expect Shanahan to take any first day pick offered for the lineman, he was never meant for our system and will do well elsewhere.

The Defensive Line -- Remember my comment, this is the Broncos' and Shanahan makes the decisions, with that said...you can bank that Free Agency plays the biggest factor for the draft and this team. If Denver signs more then one defensive lineman or offensive lineman, then the chances are slimmer that we will not see much in those areas come the NFL Annual Draft, in one or less is signed then you can bank on them hitting the draft for those positions. I think Denver will sign a big man out of the shute, like Sands from Oakland or another dump truck, but they will then look to get speed in the draft likely in the second and third round...I do not expect there to be a bunch of hoopla over the line, again that is how Shanahan is, you may not agree but he has the job.

On to the Running Backs -- Spin your heads and spew green pea soup, but this will be a priority for Shanahan and he will not sign an aging halfback nor trade high value for a current backup or gritty veteran, he will go for a youthful 'premier' capable back that can be a devastating force, he wants players like Davis and Porter not like Bell and Bell...I would bank on Shanahan trying to trade up in the first to get Lynch, not Peterson whom is a disaster waiting to happen. Lynch has been compared to Maroney - Who we all know Shanahan tried to trade for last year and even comparisons to Thomlinson...so after watching his team get blasted by L.T. and those premier backs, oh yeah...you can bet he wants one! And if need be, I bet he would trade our first round this and next year, maybe include a player to get Lynch -- if he somehow misses out, you can bank he will take a look at Irons, Darby, Dawson and other comparable halfbacks before day one is concluded.

The wideouts and tight ends are just fine -- Smith may retire, he may not...I believe he will give it one last run, but if they do look to add someone it will be in the third round or later, this is not a major need, even if a premier type player fell, I would bet money that Shanahan would overlook the player and go with a better player for a different need. And I also believe Morgan will be resigned to return kickoffs, etc. They may go with a burner on the second day, someone to develop and use as a decoy, but they will not go to high when there is many more urgent needs. I also think they will keep the Tight Ends similar to the group as it stands now, they will not be trying to upgrade, or not by much...if they do want to they may overlook a receiver and go with the likes of Matt Trannon from Michigan State who is a large receiver that projects to be a pro caliber tight end...sorry I do not see them wasting tons of money on Graham or any other big name free agent.

When it comes to the defensive backfield all the screaming for new blood will get us nowhere, really! If they do feel to upgrade it will not be the draft, they will look to secure Hamlin or another big name safety, likely a free safety...that way they could move Lynch to his normal position and maybe in the draft select a possible suitor for the position in a year or so, but they will not go looking in the first day, not unless they missed all free agents and Lynch or Ferguson, or even both retired...highly doubtful, and corners are pretty much set -- Bailey and Fox will start, Paymah and Cox will likely battle for the nickle and dime...there is not a major need here!

The quarterback situation is not that bad, I personally think Plummer needs to be released or traded, and for a suitable backup...I would like to see Denver maybe bring back Matt Mauck our former seventh round pick, he knows the system and he has been under Plummer, Young and McNair so he has been some what educated into the tentative basics on the inner workings from a pro standpoint.

I think a change in coaching as far as the defensive coordinator could be a big help, a good choice would be to hire maybe Don Johnson from Chicago...The team needs to also look into maybe a real quarterback coach, since what we have is a former linebacker trying to coach our young gun and I also think maybe a new line coach would help, Dennison needs more offensive scheme time then working the line.

Comment

i've made clear my desire to see us address the D-line in a big way, but in terms of projecting what we WILL do as opposed to what i'd like to see us do, i think cane is right that shanny is very likely to ignore other needs and target lynch. . . i also believe that he's likely to look around for a veteran OLT in free agency, whether we spend a draft pick on the position or not-- i myself can't see us spending TWO 1st day picks on the OL, but one on a tackle is pretty likely. . . and as much as i'd love to see us add sands or another big body at DT, i think it's more likely that we'll re-sign myers instead. . . . i also think people are likely to be disappointed when we don't spend a high draft pick on the safety position. . .

if you're interested in my in-depth thoughts about our roster and offseason moves, click the link in my sig. . . .
      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Lancane,

I love the way you broke that down. Very informative, with some great points.

I Agree with you:

1) Moving Up for Lynch. We NEED to do everything we can to get this kid. We are in a division where an 1800 yard back is the norm and we are not keeping up. Marshawn Lynch is my first round dream and will provide our running game with an identity and take some heat off Cutler. Not to mention improve our red zone offense.

2)Get rid of Plummer as quickly as possible. Whatever needs to be done. Do it.

3)Get some new coaching blood on the defensive side of the ball. Something can improve besides the personell on the field.

4)Wide Receiver is NOT a very big need this year.

I'm still a little unconvinced:

1) The depth on our Defensive Line NEEDS to be addressed with one marquee player. A "gamebreaker" so to speak. I think we need one big body to throw in the rotation and be a difference maker. (perhaps with our second round pick)

2) I'll agree that Foxy is an adequate starter and should be a servicable #2 CB. But I really don't like our nickle and dime CB's. I've never been big on Paymah (especially after he took the interference penalty against NE in the playoffs last year) but that's just me. I'm sure we'll be able to get by, but I think our first 3rd round pick would render some good value.

3) I don't think we'll go 2 O-linemen on the first day. Even though i completely understand the philosophy of this team and the need we have at the position. I think we've done a good job the past few years slowly acquiring talent and I believe we already have guys within this organization that will succeed in rebuilding this line.

4) We need Safety help and we need it BAD. No fergs, no brandon, NO DEPTH. I absolutely agree we go get Hamlin or someone, because this is a pressing need. But those guys in the first to second round are looking really good right now.

Good Talk, CP's all around!
        Last edited by tdot_bronco; 01-07-2007, 08:58 AM.

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Comment

I want Ilaoa (RB from Hawaii). I think he will go late 2nd early 3rd so we would need to spend our 2nd rounder on him but he is a beast. 6'0", 250lb with legit 4.5 speed. I think of him as a Jerome Bettis / Larry Johnson hybrid. He runs hard, punishes tacklers AND he has alot more wiggle than you would expect for a 250lb back. And finally, he rarely fumbles.

I want to see how he fares at the combine but as of now, I'm on the Ilaoa train.

Dimi
          BRONCO FANATIC IN TEXAS

Comment

Yea I know exactly who you're talking about.

My first thought when I saw the kid play was this:

Of course he's going to run through teams. Because Hawaii has a gunslinger QB Colt Brennan on the field. The kid is going to shatter Timmy Chang's insane records.

That running back consistently ran against nickle and dime defenses because Brennan was consistently having 400-500 yard games.

I'm not knocking him, I'm just saying that's what I thought.

I'll keep an eye on him through the combine and make a more informed evaluation.

For now, I'm officially on the Marshawn Lynch Train.

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Comment

The pass rush is obviously horrid. But so is the offense. Shanahan won Super Bowls with offense. Our defense LAST year wasn't as good as this years, but the offense was better, and the team did better. When you score points, and get the lead, it makes it easier on the defense. This year the offense couldn't hold onto the ball, and the defense suffered because of it.

Again, I think the DL is a huge need. But I think Shanahan wants that offense that won us Super Bowls. He can see how much better our team was in '05 when we were able to hold onto the lead from the early get go. If Shanahan is able to get a FA RB, the I think we go DL. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see a RB taken in the first round... OTHER than the fact that Shanahan has never used a 1st round pick on a RB. However we need it. We have the potential to build ourselves a GREAT offense with some young and talented players. Cutler, Walker, Sheffler, and Marshal. Add a top notch RB to the mix, and things are looking EXCITING on the offensive side of the ball. I wouldn't mind bringing back Lelie to add to this offense.

I think its been even MORE obvious that we need a pass rush this year than ever before. So I look for Shanahan to FINALLy address that problem. Great posts guys

Comment

Wide receiver is a need this year. What if one of the three returners, (Smith isn't for sure yet) Walker, Smith and Marshall get hurt? Who steps in their place?

If this is such an offensive town; and we're going to be offensive minded again; there's no way Denver avoids getting a receiver in one of the best draft classes there has been in the position for a long, long, long time.

Good teams address FUTURE needs a year a head of time; and when Smith retires receiver will be a HUGE need. As of right now; the Broncos don't necessarily have to draft one high; but with all the Day One talent; why wouldn't you consider addressing it?

Marshall's not proven. I've been hangin' on him since he got here; but he's not PROVEN yet. Walker, he's great. . . but there's always that "what if" factor. Rod's old. Everyone else outside him (them) do not have much receiving potential at all. They're mosting scrappy players and raw returners. You could only argue Hixon as a logical threat; but he was injured all last year and will be behind; especially as far as experience goes. He doesn't have a great skill-set either.

Wide Receiver should be and WILL be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Wide Receiver should be and WILL be looked at.
                  again. But at the same time, there might be some FA WRs that could come in and fill that role. Shanahan knows he hasn't had much luck with the drafting of WRs, but hit the home run with the signings of Walker and McCaffrey (even Rod Smith)... perhaps thats the approach he'll start takign with WRs.

I'm still looking/hoping for the stud RB this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                    again. But at the same time, there might be some FA WRs that could come in and fill that role. Shanahan knows he hasn't had much luck with the drafting of WRs, but hit the home run with the signings of Walker and McCaffrey (even Rod Smith)... perhaps thats the approach he'll start takign with WRs.

I'm still looking/hoping for the stud RB this year.
                    Bringing in a FA Wide Receiver is fine; but we don't know that he is so I put it into the draft talk as well. It needs to be address, whichever area.

Calvin Johnson
                    Ted Ginn, Jr.
                    Dwayne Jarrett
                    Robert Meacham (Declared)
                    Sidney Rice

All have first-round talent; I expect three out of the five to declare; likely six. Sidney might be the only one to stay.

There are other names there as well; other receivers who were borderline first-round material before these guys came in. That means their value will be pushed back. That's guys like Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, Jeff Samardzija and Johnnie Lee Higgins. Plenty of other names too; like Aundrae Allison and many others.

There are at least 8-9 seniors getting first-day grades right now; and the class of juniors will bolster that; not to mention combine freaks that will help too. When you have say 15 possible first-day at talents and there's only 90-some picks on Day One; you have to look.

Have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                      Wide receiver is a need this year. What if one of the three returners, (Smith isn't for sure yet) Walker, Smith and Marshall get hurt? Who steps in their place?
                      Dream, I totally get the point you're making.

But I'm trying hard to remember a time when we've had more than 3 solid guys at the WR position.

Last year we had Smith, Lelie and a rotation of Todd Devoe, Darius Watts, etc.

Right now we got Walker, Smith (maybe), Marshall, Kircus, Hixon.

I know what you're saying with Rod being old and Javon one chop-block away from reinjuring his knee...

but it's kinda funny how once we finally get an NFL icon at receiver, all we do is say we need another receiver. Kind of ironic.

But what you say makes sense, this draft class is very deep at the position. Rice (from SC) will likely declare. What about Bowe in a broncos uni? I like Meacham as well!
                      Last edited by tdot_bronco; 01-07-2007, 09:42 AM.

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Comment

You know, with so many "needs" I am really excited about this draft and offseason. This offseason could really determine the future build of our team. You know what I mean? We very easily could become one of the top offenses in the league this year, or we could become one of the top defenses very easily I feel.

I donno, its an exciting time to be a Bronco fan
                        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by tdo bronco
                          What if Adrian Peterson fell to us. I wouldn't mind picking him in the first round. Either Lynch or Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar
                            What if Adrian Peterson fell to us. I wouldn't mind picking him in the first round. Either Lynch or Peterson.
                            Yea I mentioned if Lynch fell to us...that would be the only way we draft a RB.

I didn't mention Peterson because I assumed he would be the first RB taken and a consensus top 10 pick.

But If HE fell to us, my goodness... our running game would be scary.

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Comment

Sidney Rice declared, when? Gotta link?

Comment

Working...
                              X