MindField's Updated Mock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MindField's Updated Mock

OK, I went through the projected players, and base this Mock on who I think will declare...

I also think the following players will be gone by #21:
    DT Amobi Okoye, DE Adan Carriker, WR Dwayne Jarrett, WR Ted Ginn, Jr., RB Marshawn Lynch, and DT 'Tank' Tyler. Judging on history, the NFL values D-Lineman and Draft them early...therefore, you are looking at the following D-Lineman, IMO:
    a.) DE Quentin Moses, Georgia (6'5"-255)...and he is a very tentative maybe, and could also be gone...but someone will likely drop to #21, and he has a good chance to be the player. If he is available, the Broncos should run, not walk the selection up to the podium, because despite a Sr. year struggle, Moses is the real deal. Tall and long-armed, he has the pedigree of an NFL pass-rusher, and is a good character guy. This would be a Draft Day revelation for the Broncos, IMO.

b.) DE LaMarr Woodley, Michigan (6'2"-268) Some see him as a OLB in a 3-4; I am not one of them...to me he is much more like Oakland's Derrick Burgess...BUT, is he another Burgess, or will he bust out like former Miami Hurricane and current Eagle Jerome McDougal?

c.) DE Charles Johnson, Georgia (6'2 1/2"-275) Some compare him to KC's Tamba Hali, good pass rusher, questionable run defenser, but Johnson is on the rise and if Moses is gone, the choice could boil down between Johnson and Woodley.

d.) DE Anthony Spencer, Purdue (6'3"-260)
    Another player projected by some to be a 3-4 OLB, but I think he could do either, particularly because he is now, like Kamerion Wimberly a year ago, a DE now and would have to convert to another position....

So, I will use this to illustrate what I think is an important point. What if Moses too is gone bu No. 21? Do we automatically take Woodely, just because he is a player at a need position? Remember, that's how we ended up with Ashley Lelie instead of Ed Reed....players like Charles Johnson and Anthony Spencer would probably be reaches at No. 21, so the question is, would the Broncos be better served taking a higher rated player like Arkansas OT Tony Ugoh, South Carolina WR Sidney Rice, etc rather than reaching for a player like LaMarr Woodley?
    That's the question for the Broncos...

Anyway....based on what we know now, here it is, with some projected trades thrown in for fun:

1.) #21 DE Quentin Moses, Georgia (6'5"-255)
    I am going to be a Bronco optimist here and hope Moses is available, because he is an elite talent, despite what some will tell you before the Draft. He is also a character kid, smart, and a good worker. He also hails from a big-time SEC program. He will bring back to the Denver D what is has been missing since the days of Alfred Williams.

2.) a. (From NY Giants in trade for RB Tatum Bell)
    DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee (6'4"-308)
    A player that very well could have been a No. 1 draft pick had he stayed healthy...as it is, he would be a steal at this spot in the second round. He is also a player from the closest thing to NFL football, which is the SEC Conference.

2.) SS John Wendling, Wyoming (6'2"-221)
    Mountain West players are generally disounted by Pro scouts...that means a player like Wendling will drop a little...but make no mistake about it, this kid is a player and would be a perfect understudy for John Lynch. As a leader on one of the best Defenses in the Country at Wyoming, Wendling knows how to bring the lumber, and uses it.

3.) a. (From Washington) FS Eric Weddle, Utah (6'0"-201)
    You can have your LaRon Landry's and Reggie Nelson's...give me Wendling and Weddle in this Draft, and I will be a happy camper. Weddle is an incredible ball athlete, has natural hands, and has even played on Offense for the Utes. He can return kicks and will be one of those guys that has a nose for the turnover. He is also a suprisingly good athlete. Weddle and Wendling together as our Safeties would be a beautiful thing for the future, IMO.

3.) b. (From Houston....the Broncos make a deal with the Texans for QB Jake Plummer, OT George Foster and the Broncos 3rd rounder in this Draft to move up to this positon, and also aquire Houston's fourth in this Draft)
    OT Ryan Harris, Notre Dame (6'5"-298)
    Harris drops a bit, but is a Bronco-type lineman and good insurance for Matt Lepsis, and a possible starter down the road.

4.) (From Houston) WR/KR Vincent Marshall, Houston (5'8"-178)
    Marshall doesn't really fit our profile as a receiver, but he is a dynamic return man and has good speed....my hope is he would become a modern-day Rick Upchurch.
    He could also provide a nice change of pace for our Offense and the bigger receivers we typically use..he could cause all kinds of problems for our opponents underneath with his quickness and RAC skills.

5.) OLB/DE Abraham Wright, Colorado (6'2"-245)
    Basically a replacement for Patrick Chukwurah....and a good one at that.

6.) OG Steve Vallos, Wake Forest (6'3"-302)
    Another Bronco-type O-Lineman and a solid technician and a leader of a very good Wake Forest team.

7.) RB Curtis Brown, BYU (6'0"-212)
    You know the Broncos will take a shot at a RB, and I like Brown...

So there you are, fire away...
    Last edited by MindField; 01-06-2007, 06:04 PM.

I would really love that draft.

My one question is why is everyone so keen on getting a returner when we haven't seen what Hixon can do?

I would at that spot love to get somebody to help block for the return game. A nice special teams player.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by Fan in exile
      I would really love that draft.

My one question is why is everyone so keen on getting a returner when we haven't seen what Hixon can do?

I would at that spot love to get somebody to help block for the return game. A nice special teams player.

Only for competiton...Hixon is an unknown quality.

Comment

There's no way we get that value in trades; (IMHO) but it's a very great draft. A+.

Comment

Instead of getting another speedy reciever that will be cut in two years anyways I say we draft a WR who is consistent, has good hands, and Nate Morton from Wake Forest fits that void for a late round draft pick. Also he is the son of my head coach at Military School.

Comment

Maybe

Originally posted by Dream
            There's no way we get that value in trades; (IMHO) but it's a very great draft. A+.
            Maybe so...

But RB's are a bit scarce, so maybe Tatum would have value for a team like the NY Giants who are faced with losing Tiki Barber..

...and Jake, Foster and our third for Houston's third and fourth? Well, we got a third and fourth for Lelie, so maybe that could happen....just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by BSmitty7
              Instead of getting another speedy reciever that will be cut in two years anyways I say we draft a WR who is consistent, has good hands, and Nate Morton from Wake Forest fits that void for a late round draft pick. Also he is the son of my head coach at Military School.

I don't know about Morton, but I think Marshall will be in the NFL fr a few years. He had 202 yards receiving in the Bowl game, so he is not just a kick returner.

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
                Maybe so...

But RB's are a bit scarce, so maybe Tatum would have value for a team like the NY Giants who are faced with losing Tiki Barber..

...and Jake, Foster and our third for Houston's third and fourth? Well, we got a third and fourth for Lelie, so maybe that could happen....just a thought.

You say this, but then have Denver trade away their starting rb.

So who do you think will be the starter?

I sincerely hope you don't say Mike Bell and you do say any of the following:
                Michael Turner, Fred Taylor, Ahman Green, Domanick Williams(formerly Davis), etc.

Comment

Maybe so...

I didn't see that we gave up our original third; makes more sense then.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by Pipes7
                    You say this, but then have Denver trade away their starting rb.

So who do you think will be the starter?

I sincerely hope you don't say Mike Bell and you do say any of the following:
                    Michael Turner, Fred Taylor, Ahman Green, Domanick Williams(formerly Davis), etc.

Well, to me, you have to weigh that against what you are losing...let's face it, that's not a whole lot with Tater, anyway...

Mike Bell will be a much improved back next year, and he was already pretty good down the stretch.

I also believe a Fred Taylor or a Chris Brown (particularly Brown, who I have watched for years from his Colorado days) could be revitalized in Denver for one year....basically, we would just be looking to get through one year. 2008 is a new Draft and a new season, so either of these players could allow the Broncos to get by for a year, especially when combined with an improved Mike Bell, and Cecil Sapp may figure in as well.

But to me, Tater is no loss...

Comment

I don't know about Morton, but I think Marshall will be in the NFL fr a few years. He had 202 yards receiving in the Bowl game, so he is not just a kick returner.
                      Yea but one can argue that he's not much of a receiver. He's extremely small and thin--if he's bumped once he's out of the play. He's not even in the "Steve Smith" size class.

Not a pick I would make, but it's not my mock...

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by WABronco
                        Yea but one can argue that he's not much of a receiver. He's extremely small and thin--if he's bumped once he's out of the play. He's not even in the "Steve Smith" size class.

Not a pick I would make, but it's not my mock...

A fair comment, he is awfully small...

Arizona's Syndric Steptoe is another kick returner I like from Arizona.

Maybe Domenik Hixon is the answer, but I don't think you can count on it, and I am sure more return prospects will emerge as the Draft goes along.

I like Marshall, though. We'll see how he does in the workouts leading up to the Draft.

Comment

Well, to me, you have to weigh that against what you are losing...let's face it, that's not a whole lot with Tater, anyway...

Mike Bell will be a much improved back next year, and he was already pretty good down the stretch.

I also believe a Fred Taylor or a Chris Brown (particularly Brown, who I have watched for years from his Colorado days) could be revitalized in Denver for one year....basically, we would just be looking to get through one year. 2008 is a new Draft and a new season, so either of these players could allow the Broncos to get by for a year, especially when combined with an improved Mike Bell, and Cecil Sapp may figure in as well.

But to me, Tater is no loss...

I think that we can both agree to disagree in saying that Tater is a loss/not a loss.
                          I believe losing your leading rusher/1000 yard back is a loss.

Now, if Denver upgrades the position then it neglects that loss...replacing Tatum with Mike Bell or Chris Brown is NOT an upgrade. Tatum is better than both of them. My own personal favorites to replace Tatum would be Domanick Williams or Michael Turner, which I see as much more likely than ending up with either of the two top-rated college backs. (Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch)

Comment

I doubt the Texans would give up that pick for just those players and a 3rd rounder especially since you say we would get a 4th rounder back. That would be a horrible trade on the Texan's part. We would have to give up a first rounder to even have a shot at that spot.
                            Last edited by LoyalSoldier; 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM.
                            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

See

Originally posted by Pipes7
                              I think that we can both agree to disagree in saying that Tater is a loss/not a loss.
                              I believe losing your leading rusher/1000 yard back is a loss.

Now, if Denver upgrades the position then it neglects that loss...replacing Tatum with Mike Bell or Chris Brown is NOT an upgrade. Tatum is better than both of them. My own personal favorites to replace Tatum would be Domanick Williams or Michael Turner, which I see as much more likely than ending up with either of the two top-rated college backs. (Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch)

I disagree, I think Chris Brown is a much better back than Tatum Bell, which is why he has had more success in the NFL to date.

Brown was in Jeff Fisher's doghouse this season, so he didn't play that much...but so much the better for the Broncos. That makes him more healthy and cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X