Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Smith: FA to be

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Justin Smith: FA to be

    Geathers can earn maximum $33.7M with new deal
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

    The Cincinnati Bengals on Wednesday secured one of their star young players for the future, with ESPN.com learning that the team has reached a six-year contract extension with defensive end Robert Geathers, the club's leading sacker in 2006.

    The extension has a maximum value of $33.7 million. Geathers will earn $12.5 million in bonuses and will bank $14 million in the first year of the deal.

    Without the extension, Geathers, a three-year veteran, would have been eligible for restricted free agency this spring. The Bengals would certainly have retained his rights by making him a one-year qualifying offer, but preferred the long-term extension, because Cincinnati views Geathers as a key part of its future.

    ESPN.com reported several weeks ago in the "Tip Sheet" column that the Bengals have initiated talks on a long-term contract, noting that it would likely take an eight-figure bonus to persuade Geathers to bypass both his restricted and unrestricted free agent years. Cincinnati vice president Troy Blackburn and agent Bill Johnson of Atlanta-based ProFiles Sports have been working the past several weeks to complete the extension, and talks heated up the past few days.

    "Robert has played like a premier pass rusher and now he is going to be paid like one," Johnson said on Wednesday afternoon. "The Bengals made it clear that, from both a professional and personal standpoint, keeping Robert was critical to them. They love him as a player and a person and they really stepped up and demonstrated that, especially for a guy who's only been in the league three seasons."

    A fourth-round choice in the 2004 draft, Geathers posted 42 tackles and a career-high 10½ sacks in 2006 as the Bengals used him strictly as a situational rusher, primarily from the left side. The former University of Georgia standout actually started all 16 games in 2005, his second season in the NFL, but head coach Marvin Lewis felt that the team could maximize Geathers' value in 2006 by reducing his snaps.

    For his career, Geathers has appeared in 46 games, including 17 as a starter, and has 116 tackles and 17 sacks. He is a quick, disruptive defender who only figures to improve even further the next few years.

    Retaining Geathers was a key for the Bengals because their starting right end, Justin Smith, is eligible for unrestricted free agency. There have been some negotiations with Smith but, if he departs as a free agent, it could open the way for Geathers to move to right end, a more natural pass-rush position.
    To me, that puts the screws to any plans of re-signing or franchising Smith. That is a fairly large contract, and it looks to be a case of choosing the younger, cheaper Geathers over Smith (who will undoubtedly cost more).

    Good news for us.

  • #2
    I would love to see Justin Smith in Denver next season. I have been impressed with what he has done with the Bengals over the past couple of seasons. And it looks like Denver might be trying to revamp the defensive line with the defensive firings.

    Will we have enough cap room for a big name player though, like Justin Smith?

    Comment


    • #3
      I really want to pick up Smith, he's a high effort guy, he can rush the passer and stuff the run and well worth the cash IMO. If we can grab another large DT our line will be transformed into a biiig threat especially with the new line coach and DC.
      sigpic

      Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

      Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes Please.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is VERY good. Hopefully we get him. Him and a first round quality DT would completely revamp our D-line making it from Pathetic to Great. Plus we are getting a new defensive coordinator which is VERY good. Next year our Defense will be GREAT if we just pick up 2 more players(one of those being Justin Smith)

          PS: -If we cant pick up Justin Smith we BETTER pick up Charles Grant
          -We need to CUT(not trade) Plummer after June 1st in order to get a lot more cap money

          B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

          Mock Draft:

          **If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

          1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
          2) Devin Thomas
          4) Frank Okam
          4) Beau Bell

          **If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

          1) Desean Jackson
          2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
          4) Frank Okam
          4) Beau Bell

          Comment


          • #6
            this is good news for us in any case-- if we pick up smith, fantastic, but even if we don't it'll be beneficial to have another quality pass rusher on the market. . . maybe it helps somebody else fall to us in FA, or maybe a team ahead of us in the draft ends up signing smith and then passing on a DE we want. . .
            Officially Objectified by the GPA

            rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

            Comment


            • #7
              I just took a look at his career stats he does put solid numbers, but if we're looking for a pass rushing end Justin hasn't put up big sack numbers.

              Edit: So that I don't come across as a wet blanket, I would also like to add that I'm still all for adding any personnel that improves this team especially on the offensive and defensive lines.
              Last edited by TXBRONC; 01-11-2007, 05:44 AM.
              John 11: 25-27

              My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



              Thanks Snk16

              Comment


              • #8
                Smith is predominantly a run stopper BUT he does command a double team (and he'll shred a lot of people one on one), he's a very high effort player and he does rush the passer pretty well even if he doesn't put up the numbers. I'm thinking that if we get another monster DT, on passing downs we'll have Smith, Warren, Monster and Dumervil. Somebody is going to get free one-on-one.
                sigpic

                Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

                Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rotoworld
                  If the Bengals re-sign free-agent defensive end Justin Smith, it's expected to be an indication they'll stay in a 4-3 defense in 2007.

                  Cincinnati is unlikely to bring Smith back after Robert Geathers signed his high-dollar extension. There will be more debate about what defense Marvin Lewis will run leading up to the draft. Word is Lewis would've switched to a 3-4 had Manny Lawson fallen to them in the 2006 first round.
                  Here's another interesting snippet...

                  This could have a dual-impact on our offseason. Smith might be a free agent, but Cinci may concentrate on guys like Woodley, Moss, and Tyler in the first round (in front of us).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by muse
                    Smith is predominantly a run stopper BUT he does command a double team (and he'll shred a lot of people one on one), he's a very high effort player and he does rush the passer pretty well even if he doesn't put up the numbers. I'm thinking that if we get another monster DT, on passing downs we'll have Smith, Warren, Monster and Dumervil. Somebody is going to get free one-on-one.
                    Amobi Okoye could be that monster

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WABronco
                      Here's another interesting snippet...

                      This could have a dual-impact on our offseason. Smith might be a free agent, but Cinci may concentrate on guys like Woodley, Moss, and Tyler in the first round (in front of us).

                      So we need to identify which one/ones are in trouble with the law to know which one/ones Cincinnati will target!

                      That should be easy enough.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stnzed
                        So we need to identify which one/ones are in trouble with the law to know which one/ones Cincinnati will target!

                        That should be easy enough.
                        Well, they did sign a guy recently who falls (very far) into that category. Jason Berryman, a DE/OLB tweener who probably fits in the 3-4.

                        Yet another signal they're switching to the 3-4.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by muse
                          Smith is predominantly a run stopper BUT he does command a double team (and he'll shred a lot of people one on one), he's a very high effort player and he does rush the passer pretty well even if he doesn't put up the numbers. I'm thinking that if we get another monster DT, on passing downs we'll have Smith, Warren, Monster and Dumervil. Somebody is going to get free one-on-one.
                          This is a drool worthy looking line. Grabbing J. Smith would be a major step towards a great D-Line. I hope we have the cap room for such a move, especially since we'll most likely be taking a hit from trading/releasing Plummer, but the cap limit goes up this year. Someone said that the coaching staff was looking to put together a young team, though I don't know if that can hold any water, I hope that the Bronco organization isn't afraid to look to free agents like Smith for some answers.
                          sigpic
                          The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                          Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TXBRONC
                            I just took a look at his career stats he does put solid numbers, but if we're looking for a pass rushing end Justin hasn't put up big sack numbers.

                            Edit: So that I don't come across as a wet blanket, I would also like to add that I'm still all for adding any personnel that improves this team especially on the offensive and defensive lines.
                            As other posters have mentioned, if you get a monster defensive tackle on Smith's side, he can be a devastating pass-rusher. The Bengals just haven't had that. You'll note that Geathers got more sacks, but Sam Adams played on the same side.

                            I doubt we'll keep Smith. The Bengals are trying to re-sign Eric Steinbach, and would also like to pick up Adalius Thomas if at all possible. Smith's gone.

                            He even took his nameplate home with him at the end of the season.
                            HEAR ME ROAR!
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
                              As other posters have mentioned, if you get a monster defensive tackle on Smith's side, he can be a devastating pass-rusher. The Bengals just haven't had that. You'll note that Geathers got more sacks, but Sam Adams played on the same side.

                              I doubt we'll keep Smith. The Bengals are trying to re-sign Eric Steinbach, and would also like to pick up Adalius Thomas if at all possible. Smith's gone.

                              He even took his nameplate home with him at the end of the season.

                              I think the 49ers will out bid all teams for Baltimore's Adalius Thomas they have the most cap room coming into next year.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X