Justin Smith: FA to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB
    I think the 49ers will out bid all teams for Baltimore's Adalius Thomas they have the most cap room coming into next year.
    As much as I'd hate to see the Bengals miss out on him, at least he's going to the NFC if you're right.

That's much better than in Baltimore where he gets to kill us twice a year.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBroncLove
      This is a drool worthy looking line. Grabbing J. Smith would be a major step towards a great D-Line. I hope we have the cap room for such a move, especially since we'll most likely be taking a hit from trading/releasing Plummer, but the cap limit goes up this year. Someone said that the coaching staff was looking to put together a young team, though I don't know if that can hold any water, I hope that the Bronco organization isn't afraid to look to free agents like Smith for some answers.
      Well, Smith is what, 27 or 28? He should be reaching his prime. Or in it :p I really hope we get him...
      sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

that would be cool
        RIP Williams / Nash

Comment

I think J Smith would be a GREAT addition to the BRONCOS defense. I LOVED him in college as he played havoc with my HUSKERS and I think he is just what we need, along with a run stuffing, block hogging DT.
          GOD BLESS the USA!!!! Support our TROOPS!!
          GO BRONCOS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals
            As other posters have mentioned, if you get a monster defensive tackle on Smith's side, he can be a devastating pass-rusher. The Bengals just haven't had that. You'll note that Geathers got more sacks, but Sam Adams played on the same side.

I doubt we'll keep Smith. The Bengals are trying to re-sign Eric Steinbach, and would also like to pick up Adalius Thomas if at all possible. Smith's gone.

He even took his nameplate home with him at the end of the season.
            That sounds like it would be a mistake on part of the Bengals. What do you think WhoDey?
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Smith would be a great addition at the right price

Justin Smith would be an excellent addition to the Broncos as long as we don't have to break the bank to get him. He is solid in both the run stoppping and pass rushing areas which would be a wonderful addition to our DE spot, because it seemed like no one at the DE spot gave us much of either this past season.

However, because Smith has never recorded double-digit sacks in a season we cannot afford to give him the mega-deal like we would a Freeney if we are seeking him as a cure for our pass rush problems. If we can sign him to a deal like Aaron Kampman got in Green Bay (4-years $21 million, $12 million guaranteed) or maybe just a little more like 5 years at $28 million with $15 guaranteed it would be a great signing. Smith would give us the pass rush at the strong end that we got from Trevor Pryce when healthy and that would be a huge asset to this defense.

Then we can look at a DT that can provide a mixture of both run stopping and pass rush to balance out not getting a premier pass rusher. One player that is an unrestricted FA that might be a bargin and becomes a very good player is Rien Long from Tenessee.

Long had demonstrated the skills to rush the passer and I am sure he can hold his own in the run game, especially next to Warren. He would provide the push up the middle that is necessary to collapse a pocket which is something we sorely need.

Long could be a FA bargin because he did not play in 06 because of a Achilles injury and no one knows what to expect when he comes back. But if we are really serious about upgrading our DL then he should be worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                That sounds like it would be a mistake on part of the Bengals. What do you think WhoDey?
                What would be a mistake? Letting Smith go, or letting go of Steinbach?

No to the first question, yes to the second. Although, if we lose Smith, we definitely need to address the need in the draft.
                HEAR ME ROAR!
                sigpic
                Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Working...
                X