X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peterson is official

Peterson, '04 Heisman runner-up, to enter NFL draft
    ESPN.com news services

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson announced Monday that he will make himself available for the 2007 NFL draft.

"The last few days have been stressful," Peterson said, according to a team press release. "I've been pondering a lot of things and looking at it from all the different angles, weighing the good and the bad.

"In the end, I think I just realized that this is a business decision and that it is time for me to take that next step. It wasn't easy. I haven't been sleeping much. I just put it all in God's hands."

Sooners head coach Bob Stoops said he supports Peterson's decision.

"I know this has been a trying time for him and he just needs to know that we support him whole-heartedly," Stoops said. "Adrian has been a great individual player and a great teammate. His leadership and work ethic sent a strong example, and he competed with everything he had. He has given us all a lot of great moments and has been fun to watch."

Peterson missed seven games this season with a broken collarbone, but still finished with 1,012 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns. He ran for 77 yards and two touchdowns, including a 25-yarder on the first play of overtime, in Oklahoma's 43-42 overtime loss to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

The runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2004, Peterson set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 yards before injuries derailed his sophomore and junior seasons. He missed all or part of four games with a sprained ankle last season.

With 4,045 yards in three seasons, Peterson ranks third on Oklahoma's career rushing list, behind 1978 Heisman winner Billy Sims (4,118) and Hall of Famer Joe Washington (4,071). He also holds the NCAA with nine straight 100-yard games to start his career.

Twemty-nine Oklahoma players have been drafted since Stoops arrived before the 1999 season, according to the release. At least one Sooner has been selected in the first round of the draft each of the last five years -- a streak Peterson is projected to extend.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Last edited by eabort; 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM.

Great news

Comment

would love to have him here in denver but might be a bit of a reach.

Comment

I.M.O., he would be the ultimate signing for the Broncos and would be the perfect back to team with Cutler for the next 10+ years

Unfortunately however, I don't see it happening

The Broncos would have to move up (prolly to the top 5-8) to have a chance of drafting Adrian....

He is gonna be a STUD
        I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

I agree I love Adrian Peterson.

I see him going to a team like the Lions or Texans. He would be sick in Kubes offense.
          NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

not surprised but i bet he gets hurt in the nfl and isnt that great ever

RIP Darrent It's been one year, Gone but never Forgotten.

I Adopted JayCutler4MVP!!! and DJ Williams

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIEADAMSFAN
              not surprised but i bet he gets hurt in the nfl and isnt that great ever
              Another Peterson hater.

I wished he would have stayed but what can I do? Well, he still has until thursday to withdraw his name.

I pray that he gets on the Broncos.

Comment

The new Fred Taylor has arrived.

But at least now we have a good chance of getting Lynch.
                Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos72690
                  Another Peterson hater.

I wished he would have stayed but what can I do? Well, he still has until thursday to withdraw his name.

I pray that he gets on the Broncos.
                  I don't think it's so much a matter of hate, as skepticism. A lot of us have our doubts about a guy who has had injury problems in college. I personally wish him all the best, I just have my doubts. Honestly though, I hope I'm wrong, especially since Kubiak is probably going to draft him. It's not like I'm hoping he gets injured just so I'm right or something.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
                    The new Fred Taylor has arrived.

But at least now we have a good chance of getting Lynch.
                    Was Fred Taylor like AP in college?. Did he finish runner-up in the Heisman in his freshman year?

I doubt that we'll get Lynch anyway. RBs are taken a lot in the first 20 picks.

Comment

Was Fred Taylor like AP in college?. Did he finish runner-up in the Heisman in his freshman year?

I doubt that we'll get Lynch anyway. RBs are taken a lot in the first 20 picks.
                      He was the ninth overall pick, so the comparison doesn't seem that far off.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Did anyone really expect him to return to OU? I saw this coming 1000 miles away.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
                          He was the ninth overall pick, so the comparison doesn't seem that far off.
                          What were his stats in college? Like I said, he didn't come close to winning the Heisman trophy his FRESHMAN YEAR.

Comment

What were his stats in college? Like I said, he didn't come close to winning the Heisman trophy his FRESHMAN YEAR.
                            Okay, and your point is? Peterson didn't come close to winning the Heisman in his last two seasons either, and heisman winners are often complete busts anyway. I'm simply saying I expect him to be a high pick who never lives up to his potential because of injuries, and therefore liken him to Fred Taylor. I don't see the comparison being particularly inaccurate.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Maybe Lynch will fall to us now??

Comment

Working...
                              X