X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of y'all that forgot...

Ashley Lelie's 2005 season with the Broncos:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=97U7RT57

As those who mentioned it earlier, God forbid, if Javon or #2 WR gets injured, we'd have a respectable replacement to step into the starting role no matter who wins out the #2 job.

If Lelie ends up in the depth chart behind Marshall, in 3-wide sets he'd often be matched with the #3 WR or safety. If Rod stays, we'd have one hell of a four receiver set too. It'd surely help our 3rd and long chances.

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee
      Walker's situation in GB was about money, not playing time or position. Walker did, almost what Portis did, that led to Portis being traded away. Walker wanted an extension when he still had two years left on his rookie contract. GB has a policy against that. Portis wanted to renegotiate his rookie contract that still had two years left on it. Denver wasn't going to do that and Portis hinted he would hold out the next season. Lelie was crying about not being given a fair chance to compete for a starting job, which was complete nonsense. Shanahan even alluded to it himself when he made a comment inferring that Lelie was afraid to compete against an old man(Rod Smith) for a starting position. Walker would have every right to throw his two cents in, if he were a part of a sit down with Lelie about what's what when it comes to what role each receiver plays in the offense. In reality though, only Shanahan and Lelie need to be involved in such a talk. Shanahan would need to tell Lelie exactly how things will work and Lelie would need to understand and accept the situation for what it is.
      When Lelie left, there was zero doubt who were the starters on this team: Rod Smith and Javon Walker. The situation has changed now, with Rod declining and Marshall emerging.

Lelie, looking at a 2nd year player (with potential) to compete with for the #2 spot and quite possibly the best gunslinger in the league throwing to him at quarterback, he may like how things look over here back in Denver. He already knows the system, the players, and the coaches. You could plug him in immediately and get production.

He'll actually have a fair shake at the starting job now too, something that was simply not true last year when Denver granted Walker that huge deal.

Comment

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!

humbled by the sickly vick experience, lelie crawls back to denver and begs shenanigans' forgiveness. . . . .

okay, now that i've gotten that out of my system, i'm all for it. . . .

if lelie would indeed come back for a long term, cap-friendly deal, i would LOVE to have him back. . . obviously, he knows now that he can't pull that BS here, and i'm assuming that if he comes back he's ready to get into camp and earn his job-- he never caused any problems before last summer, and generally seemed to be well-liked by his teammates. . .

as evendelae and yardo pointed out, this team needs a receiver who can stretch the field and open things up underneath-- another viable deep threat would also prevent teams from constantly rolling coverage to javon's side. . . also, as i've said in many other threads, we need another receiver with some experience, for depth at the very least. . . lelie would be a PERFECT fit for several reasons. . . the most important is that he already knows our playbook, and could be effective immediately-- also, the coaches know him and what he can do. . . he's durable (i know, some say it's because he never takes a hit. . . ), and is young and still has upside. . . he may never be a complete receiver, but he's very good at what he does, having led the league in YPC two consecutive years. . . . with the new passing game we're going to be implementing, he could be a steal for the right price. . . . as others have said, imagine what his deep speed could do combined with jay's arm and accuracy on the deep ball. . . . :shake:

one thing i'd like to point out-- you guys put WAY too much into who's the #3, #4 etc. . . don't you remember shanny himself saying, in regards to lelie's complaints last summer, that we don't have defined #s for our receivers? the truth is, different guys have different skill sets, and are used in different packages. . . when you have a balanced star receiver like javon, he obviously is the pretty clear-cut #1, because he can run every route, and has the combination of size, speed and hands. . . but look at the way we used rod and brandon down the stretch-- i'd say rod still got more PT than brandon the last few games, but brandon definitely ate into his playing time. . . and with the variety of multiple-receiver sets that we're likely to use under dinger, you need more than 2-3 competent receivers anyways. . . not to mention depth-- if walker gets hurt next year, we have two competent receivers, one who's a raw 2nd year player and one who's 36 years old. . . don't tell me anyone thinks kirkus or clarke are better than lelie, whiny or not!

and as for lelie "taking rod's spot". . . . rod is the ultimate competitor! you think he WANTS to have a spot reserved for him if he can't earn it anymore? no, he's happy to have what he said lelie should be happy with last year-- a chance to come in and compete for a spot. . . rod's not looking for a handout. . . . dinger will want to run more spread formations, and four capable receivers isn't too many by any means-- this team defiitely has a spot for lelie IF he's ready to come back and earn it this time. . . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by mxbronco13
          because all lelie has is speed, he is afraid to run through the middle and take a hit. Marshall is the new breed of receiver, not as fast but still fast.. big and powerful
          did you live under a rock when lelie led the league in recieving average and most TD catches of 20yds or more? lelie's speed gives him an instant advantage against any DB in the league, so what if he doesnt go over the middle, thats what we have marshall, rod and sheffler for

Comment

Originally posted by BIG HOUSE
            did you live under a rock when lelie led the league in recieving average and most TD catches of 20yds or more? lelie's speed gives him an instant advantage against any DB in the league, so what if he doesnt go over the middle, thats what we have marshall, rod and sheffler for
            I think that's pretty much what mxbronco123 was saying. It doesn't really matter where they are on the depth chart, because they are so different it's kind of completely situational. The #2 spot is going to be wide open next year if Lelie comes back, and we'll be using more 4 wr sets if we were able to add that kind of talent.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by BIG HOUSE
              What's really scary is he did that with Plummer's sub-par deep ball. With Cutler? OMG!!!
              Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

That would be sick!!!!

1. Javon

2a. Marshall

2b. Rod

2c. Ashley

What a receiving corps that could be!!

Here's to hoping
                I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                  one thing i'd like to point out-- you guys put WAY too much into who's the #3, #4 etc. . . don't you remember shanny himself saying, in regards to lelie's complaints last summer, that we don't have defined #s for our receivers? the truth is, different guys have different skill sets, and are used in different packages. . . when you have a balanced star receiver like javon, he obviously is the pretty clear-cut #1, because he can run every route, and has the combination of size, speed and hands. . . but look at the way we used rod and brandon down the stretch-- i'd say rod still got more PT than brandon the last few games, but brandon definitely ate into his playing time. . . and with the variety of multiple-receiver sets that we're likely to use under dinger, you need more than 2-3 competent receivers anyways. . . not to mention depth-- if walker gets hurt next year, we have two competent receivers, one who's a raw 2nd year player and one who's 36 years old. . . don't tell me anyone thinks kirkus or clarke are better than lelie, whiny or not!
                  When teams have good depth, the depth plays. We had David Kircus, and even he found himself in on a handful of plays/game.

Look at the Pats (not necessarily "good" depth, though), look at the 'Hawks, look at the Chargers, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, etc. I mean, New Orleans' offense was still at the top of the league without their no. 1 receiver! Seattle's no. 4 guy made key contributions in the Wild Card game agaisnt Dallas and has been the league's most valuable 3rd-down receiver in the league for years (their latest stud, Hackett, came from the bottom of the depth chart as well)!

Comment

I want Lelie back for the right reasons..... So I can wear his jersey again. I hate seeing it in the back of my closest.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
                      Well, Lelie has a chance to beat him out for it. If Lelie came back and beat Marshall fairly, what would it matter?
                      Exactly! Of course, the problem would be that Marshall is a much better #2 WR than Ashlie.

Remember that Marshall is 6'4", 222 lbs. and very STRONG. Ashlie is 6'3" 200 and soft as a willow frond.

He's good at one thing, and that's the deep sideline pass with his speed. Unfortunately, Javon Walker is Denver's deep play threat and they don't need another unless Walker is hurt.

The #2 WR is a POSSESSION WR. Rod Smith was superb at that until last season. This year he'll have to fight off Marshall -- who has the perfect build for it too.

Lelie would probably wind up as the #4 WR or splitting time with the #3 (Rod or Marshall). He sure wouldn't be happy with that.

I think he could find a team somewhere where he'd have a better shot at being the #2 WR. He's convinced he's a future #1 WR, but nobody else in the league believes in him.
                      Last edited by Cugel; 02-09-2007, 06:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
                        Common misconception. He said he wanted a fair shot at COMPETING for the #1 job.
                        That's what he said but he always had a fair shot at competing for the job. He let someone tell him that he couldn't be number one if Javon was paid like the number one receiver. Worse, he believed it.

Unless there has been a VERY serious turnaround in attitude, I wouldn't want him back. Who needs the aggravation in the locker room?
                        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X