No announcement yet.

The Broncos Need a Fast Linebacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the LAST thing denver needs is another LB.....

fastest and BEST lb core in the league.....

once again.....a good pass rusher.....and a full time RB will do the trick.....
    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
    -The best in the business-

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
      Why are you guys chewing this guy up. Reading Comprehension is obviously not one of yalls strong points. He said we need a fast linebacker that IS strong. Right now we have a fast linebacker in DJ who should be playing weakside. He said a fast lineback that is strong to play the strong side so that we wouldnt compromise our speed at linebacker. I would tend to agree with that theory. I love Ian Gold but DJ should be playing weakside. Hopefully bates can figure it out.
      We have Nate Webster, who is strong and is fast enough for the SAM position, and
      who many in the profession have said could start for many teams. I am hoping the
      new coaches might recognize that and envision D.J., with his speed and strength,
      over at WILL. I honestly would try Gold at SS. Now, that would represent a fast, BIG
      back seven, wouldn't it?

And we didn't even have to draft there.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind
        the LAST thing denver needs is another LB.....

fastest and BEST lb core in the league.....

once again.....a good pass rusher.....and a full time RB will do the trick.....

Ravens have the best LB core in the league. But yeah, we're alright at LB.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1986
          Ravens have the best LB core in the league. But yeah, we're alright at LB.
          That is a legitimate opinion. I don't share it, but it is legitimate.

I believe our LBs thoroughly outplayed theirs in our game with them this last year.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
            That is a legitimate opinion. I don't share it, but it is legitimate.

I believe our LBs thoroughly outplayed theirs in our game with them this last year.

-----
            Maybe so in that game, but there is a reason 3/4 of them are playing in the pro-bowl today (Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas and Terrell Suggs).

And Ray Lewis was already an alternate who dropped out for injury concerns ala Wilson.

Adalius Thomas is more versatile than any of our LBers and doesn't suffer any hinderances from changing positions (Aka from Strong to weak, hell he played Safety, DE and corner as well, played all 11 positions in 05 at some point).

Terrell Suggs is great in coverage and in the blitzing game, able to perform well as a DE and an OLB.

Scott is a young player brought up from special teams, but leading the leagues in sacks for a good early part of the season, finishing with 9.5 and being the second alternate to the pro-bowl is no small feat.

And Ray, while not in his prime, is better than most in the league at MLB.

Overall I think they have a better LB core, but they are aided by more studs at the positions around them (Ed Reed in coverage, McCallister, Haloti Ngata to open the inside blitz, Kelly Gregg, Pryce, etc) and a defensive coordinator that knows how to make it all work (Rex Ryan).
            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
              Why are you guys chewing this guy up. Reading Comprehension is obviously not one of yalls strong points. He said we need a fast linebacker that IS strong. Right now we have a fast linebacker in DJ who should be playing weakside. He said a fast lineback that is strong to play the strong side so that we wouldnt compromise our speed at linebacker. I would tend to agree with that theory. I love Ian Gold but DJ should be playing weakside. Hopefully bates can figure it out.

I'm not sure I understand the thinking here. Ian Gold has been one of the better WILLs in the NFL for the past 5 years. This last season was the first in which he hasn't been a key playmaker for us, but since that's the oddity, I'm assuming its due to scheme changes or perhaps just an off year. Regardless, with his skillset, he's still one of the best WILLs in the league.

DJ Williams is not a WILL. He is a big, strong, and fast LB though that is playing SAM. Which basically makes the OP's thoughts moot since we have that suggestion already. The problem lies in that Williams is a natural MIKE, and that's where he should be playing if anywhere else. He's fine at SAM, the problem is that our scheme and the position in general is lackluster for padding stats.

I think our LBs are fine, if a tad small. To make up for that, we need some power guys up front to tie up blockers. Our entire defense is based off that concept. However, right now, we have a lot of speed guys on the outside which don't help the LBs at all, and our best DT was injured all year and loafed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                I'm not sure I understand the thinking here. Ian Gold has been one of the better WILLs in the NFL for the past 5 years. This last season was the first in which he hasn't been a key playmaker for us, but since that's the oddity, I'm assuming its due to scheme changes or perhaps just an off year. Regardless, with his skillset, he's still one of the best WILLs in the league.

DJ Williams is not a WILL. He is a big, strong, and fast LB though that is playing SAM. Which basically makes the OP's thoughts moot since we have that suggestion already. The problem lies in that Williams is a natural MIKE, and that's where he should be playing if anywhere else. He's fine at SAM, the problem is that our scheme and the position in general is lackluster for padding stats.

I think our LBs are fine, if a tad small. To make up for that, we need some power guys up front to tie up blockers. Our entire defense is based off that concept. However, right now, we have a lot of speed guys on the outside which don't help the LBs at all, and our best DT was injured all year and loafed it.
                Not a bad post, generally, MUG. However, I disagree that D.J. is not a WILL. He
                played the position his first year, remember, and put up great numbers for a first
                year player. I honestly believe that D.J. probably would make a better WILL than
                Gold (even though, as you mentioned, Gold has been good there), but that he is
                at SAM because he is better there than anybody else on the team.

I do agree the D-line needs some help, although I don't go along with your
                assumption that Warren "loafed." I just believe he found it excruciating to push
                his 300-some-odd pounds off his sprained toe. He was in the same situation as
                Champ was the previous year: injuries suppressed the talent.

BTW, good seeing you again after your quasi-hiatus from the board. I hope to see
                your good discussions on the available draft and FA talent.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                  Not a bad post, generally, MUG. However, I disagree that D.J. is not a WILL. He
                  played the position his first year, remember, and put up great numbers for a first
                  year player. I honestly believe that D.J. probably would make a better WILL than
                  Gold (even though, as you mentioned, Gold has been good there), but that he is
                  at SAM because he is better there than anybody else on the team.

I do agree the D-line needs some help, although I don't go along with your
                  assumption that Warren "loafed." I just believe he found it excruciating to push
                  his 300-some-odd pounds off his sprained toe. He was in the same situation as
                  Champ was the previous year: injuries suppressed the talent.

BTW, good seeing you again after your quasi-hiatus from the board. I hope to see
                  your good discussions on the available draft and FA talent.

-----
                  We'll see what happens, DJ was in Coyer's doghouse of sorts. DJ, while making alot of tackles at WILL, was actually pretty bad in his one season there. Maybe he's better now, but he was horrific at blitzing, he was poor in coverage, and he struggled with his responsibilities. All of which lead to his public criticism by Coyer and the resigning of Gold for big bucks to replace him.

I suppose all of those things could be corrected with time, but sometimes, players just can't make the necessary adjustments to the Pro game. I think by bringing in Bates and giving DJ a clean slate, we fans will find out about DJ Williams this year. If two quality DCs both frown at the guy, especially four years into his career, then that is going to speak volumes to me.

Personally, i'll never understand the selection, but I am hoping he plays like a 1st rounder at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by bengaaaaals1688
                    The Broncos have one of the fastest LBing corps in the league... what are you talking about??
                    I'd say this dude is an alter ego of somebody, and just wants to stir up some debate....

....even though it was about the weakest I've seen in my many years.....
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorcust
                      Maybe so in that game, but there is a reason 3/4 of them are playing in the pro-bowl today (Bart Scott, Adalius Thomas and Terrell Suggs).

And Ray Lewis was already an alternate who dropped out for injury concerns ala Wilson.

Adalius Thomas is more versatile than any of our LBers and doesn't suffer any hinderances from changing positions (Aka from Strong to weak, hell he played Safety, DE and corner as well, played all 11 positions in 05 at some point).

Terrell Suggs is great in coverage and in the blitzing game, able to perform well as a DE and an OLB.

Scott is a young player brought up from special teams, but leading the leagues in sacks for a good early part of the season, finishing with 9.5 and being the second alternate to the pro-bowl is no small feat.

And Ray, while not in his prime, is better than most in the league at MLB.

Overall I think they have a better LB core, but they are aided by more studs at the positions around them (Ed Reed in coverage, McCallister, Haloti Ngata to open the inside blitz, Kelly Gregg, Pryce, etc) and a defensive coordinator that knows how to make it all work (Rex Ryan).
                      I guess that's why they play a 3-4 Defense.......

....but it's always nice having our very own crow-insider.....
                      "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                      tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                      men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                        I guess that's why they play a 3-4 Defense.......

....but it's always nice having our very own crow-insider.....
                        Sometimes yes, many other times they play a 4-3 as well with the following line up:

LDE:
                        Trevor Pryce
                        DT:
                        Kelly Gregg
                        DT:
                        Haloti Ngata
                        RE:
                        Terrell Suggs

Strongside OLB:
                        Adalius Thomas

MLB:
                        Ray Lewis

Weakside OLB:
                        Bart Scott

Granted, for Bart Scott, many of his sacks came from the OLB position, yet he gets pro bowl recognition from his ILB play in the 3-4.

The system aides them yes, but considering our run defense, and lack of big plays in comparison to the Ravens LBs, I believe they out played every other unit this year.

I believe we were... the fourth best LB unit overall this year, behind the Chargers and Bears as well.

Still a change in scheme will do wonders for us, and hopefully with some DL additons this offseason, we could become deadly.

The Ravens are going to be hard pressed trying to find the right tweener in the draft to replace Thomas, not to mention they need to address the RB position with Jamal Lewis likely out of B-more.

The corner position probably needs some help too. McCallister hits the big 30 next season and Samari Rolle sucks (he's either taking a pay cut and going to nickel back or he's getting cut).

They are going to have a tough time replicating thier success this season, and will not be the same unit in 08.
                        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Although it is not a need, it is a good thought. Al Wilson is getting older, and he plays hurt a lot a fresh face who has the same skill set as the three starters can spell the starters and keep them more fresh down the stretch. Timmons from FSU is considered a 1st rounder, but guys like Jon Beason (Miami), or Rufus Alexander (Oklahoma), or Justin Durant (Hampton) might fall through the cracks into late first to early second day. Durant might be a good pick in the 4th. This could secure the broncos LB for Wilson's retirement, DJ moves inside and one of those fills DJ's spot. Or Denver can wait until next year to draft wilson's replacement guys like Kieth Rivers, Xavier Abidi, and Vince Hall should leave for the NFL. The point is Wilson still has some good years left but think about the replacement soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X