Dre Bly requests trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dre Bly requests trade

Two-time probowl cornerback Dre Bly has requested a trade from the moribound franchise that is the Detroit Lions. This kid can play. Well... not quite a kid at 29 (30 by the time the season starts)... but he still has good skills and is in his prime. He would look damn good opposite Bailey.

I think a second round pick seems appropriate.... what say ye?

Originally posted by The Lion
    Two-time probowl cornerback Dre Bly has requested a trade from the moribound franchise that is the Detroit Lions. This kid can play. Well... not quite a kid at 29 (30 by the time the season starts)... but he still has good skills and is in his prime. He would look damn good opposite Bailey.

I think a second round pick seems appropriate.... what say ye?
    I would like him here, but I'm not sure if we could afford him.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaManMan
      I would like him here, but I'm not sure if we could afford him.

Oh, I should probably give his contract particulars. He is on the last year of his deal, and is scheduled to make $5 Million this year. I would think that he would want to work out a long-term deal before agreeing to the trade. Right now, the Lions have given his agent permission to negotiate a trade... so I am sure his contract situtation would be worked out ahead of time.

Looking at the Broncos cap numbers... cuts would likely have to be made somewhere, and the new contract would have to be backloaded and cap friendly early.

The Lions are my team... but I have also adopted the Broncos as my AFC team since I live in Denver and watch every game. Personally... I think that picking up Bly would be a huge boost to the defense. With that much cover skill in the secondary... the LB's could wreak havoc against the run and rush the passer more... which fits in nicely with what Bates likes to do.

If Shanahan can find the cap space... I think it would be a brilliant move. But... I may be a little biased...

Comment

I would make a trade for him only for a 3rd round pick and if he doesn't want his salary increased.
        sigpic

Comment

Not a good idea. We would be better served dedicating our limited resources to other areas.
          Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
            Not a good idea. We would be better served dedicating our limited resources to other areas.
            two GREAT cornerbacks can compensate for a less then satisfactory dline. if you shut out a teams passing game, all they can do is run and short passes. if all they do is run, you will wear down the backs very fast, and the d would run over the offense by the team the second half the game comes around. i would love to pick up another shutdown corner
            sig pic removed by mod staff.
            we do not allow site advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by tsiguy96
              two GREAT cornerbacks can compensate for a less then satisfactory dline. if you shut out a teams passing game, all they can do is run and short passes. if all they do is run, you will wear down the backs very fast, and the d would run over the offense by the team the second half the game comes around. i would love to pick up another shutdown corner
              Umm..no...

We had arguably the best corner play in the league last year, and it did us no good.
              Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

no offense, but this is utterly wrong. . . . no corner can cover receivers forever if the QB is allowed to sit back and read the defense at his leisure-- maybe champ, but it doesn't matter. . . give the QB unlimited time like we did last year, and it only takes one DB coming off his man to give up a completion. . . and if nothing else, you get consistently burned on dump-offs to open RBs in the flat. . . . besides which, if we don't improve our run defense from last year, no one will HAVE to pass on us-- remember larry johnson and LT?

lion, i see no chance that the broncos would be interested in bly-- not that he isn't a good player (i thought he was one of the league's top cover men a few years ago), but his play seems to have leveled off a bit the past few years. . . his cap number alone is prohibitive, and corner just isn't a top priority-- foxworth is a solid player who has the intelligence and work ethic to continue to improve, and paymah has quality physical skills if he can put it together mentally and play with some more confidence. . . i believe that denver should bring in a veteran corner to challenge for the nickel spot and provide some experienced depth, but adding a top corner through FA or trade isn't a luxury the team can afford-- too many other holes that need more immediate attention! we have two adequate corners and one brilliant one, but only one decent defensive tackle on the whole roster. . . .

besides which, i don't like the ieda of investing a valuable pick in a guy on the wrong side of 30-- that makes sense if you're a team that's one or two players away from contending and desperately in need of a quick fix at that position, but we don't fit that profile at all right now. . . also, bly is a pure finesse corner who can't play physical, and bates likes to play bump-and-run with his corners. . . and with our smallish defense, we need corners who are tough tacklers who can support the run game, and bly doesn't fit the description. . .

overall, just a bad fit here. . . he's still a solid player who will definitely generate some interest if they try to trade him. . . but denver's not the right spot. . . i can see a team like tennesee having some interest. . . .
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I just hope the coaches finally understand this

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
                  Umm..no...

We had arguably the best corner play in the league last year, and it did us no good.
                  CP to you.

The stats have been posted several times. Against the #1 and 2 wr we had the best tandem by far. When we had to cover TEs without our usual big nickel because of injuries or RBs with our linebackers we failed. And we never got sustained pressure in critical situations on good offenses. Yes we need CB depth. Do we need to bring in someone ahead of Foxworth at the expense of DL, RB, OL and a Safety? No way!
                  "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

NO FEDIA ESSE.lol

sigpic

Comment

all they can do is run and short passes.
                      Yeah, sounds great doesn't it? I used to think so, until I watched the '06 Broncos. Appeatantly what happens is: If you let them thrown enough short passes, they score touch downs.
                      The other thing, that Dogfish hit on, was COMPLETE inability to pressure the quarter back in key situations. You let a guy run around long enough, he's gunna get open. Even chumps like Willie Parker, who are supposed to be blocking, but wind up catching touch down passes, because Rothlesberger's in the backfeild writing a freakin auto biography.

Comment

The proverbial 'We won't be able to afford him' is getting really old.

If Shanny finds a guy he wants bad enough, whether trade of FA, he will wheel and deal and make it so, affording the player will NOT be a problem.

Comment

Yeah, sounds great doesn't it? I used to think so, until I watched the '06 Broncos. Appeatantly what happens is: If you let them thrown enough short passes, they score touch downs.
                          The other thing, that Dogfish hit on, was COMPLETE inability to pressure the quarter back in key situations. You let a guy run around long enough, he's gunna get open. Even chumps like Willie Parker, who are supposed to be blocking, but wind up catching touch down passes, because Rothlesberger's in the backfeild writing a freakin auto biography.

Could not have written it better myself!(no really!)
                          How about that Seattle game!?!! Hasselbeck had a bad knee, AND a bad hand, guy could of written his own biography with his BAD hand in the backfield. Drove me freakin nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by socalorado1

Could not have written it better myself!(no really!)
                            How about that Seattle game!?!! Hasselbeck had a bad knee, AND a bad hand, guy could of written his own biography with his BAD hand in the backfield. Drove me freakin nuts!

The Seattle game, the first Chargers one...the Chiefs game. The works. Dline remains our number one need.
                            Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

isnt that how weve gotten beat by the colts the past 3 years?those 3 or 4 short passes dont sound like they hurt that much, but it wears the defense out completely.by the end of the game manning can just sit their for 10 seconds before he has to even thinik about throwin the ball.take the colts patriots game for instance.at the beginning of the game the pats were all over manning but at the end the pats d-line could barely stand up.(part of this was also due to the fact that the colts turned the heat up to 100 degrees)*cough*.
                              also the short passing game opens up the long bomb.resululting in tds

Comment

Working...
                              X