Dre Bly requests trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsiguy96
    two GREAT cornerbacks can compensate for a less then satisfactory dline. if you shut out a teams passing game, all they can do is run and short passes. if all they do is run, you will wear down the backs very fast, and the d would run over the offense by the team the second half the game comes around. i would love to pick up another shutdown corner
    What! No way. It works the other way around. The dline makes the CB's better. The dline gets pressure...hurries the QB who throws a less than perfect pass and the CB's get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lion
      Two-time probowl cornerback Dre Bly has requested a trade from the moribound franchise that is the Detroit Lions. This kid can play. Well... not quite a kid at 29 (30 by the time the season starts)... but he still has good skills and is in his prime. He would look damn good opposite Bailey.

I think a second round pick seems appropriate.... what say ye?

No way in hell would I give a 2nd round pick for him, maybe a 4th round pick at best, no first days though..

Comment

Originally posted by EMB123903
        No way in hell would I give a 2nd round pick for him, maybe a 4th round pick at best, no first days though..
        Maybe a 3rd but no better than that.

Comment

Considering how much corner backs make these days, I can't seem to justify leaving Foxworth in the nickel and going after one of these guys. As has been said, the Broncos have more pressing issues, and I think we would all agree that Foxworth has a lot of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Bronco
            NO FEDIA ESSE.lol
            Am I the only one on here that doesn't speak French??

Comment

Why not try and pitch Foster and a pick to the Lions for Bly? I'm sure Shanny is already planning on some contract restructuring here and there...like someone prior said, if Shanny finds someone he wants, he will make the proper accomodations to get him here.
              Originally posted by Soldier96B
              i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
                Why not try and pitch Foster and a pick to the Lions for Bly? I'm sure Shanny is already planning on some contract restructuring here and there...like someone prior said, if Shanny finds someone he wants, he will make the proper accomodations to get him here.
                Erm....financial difficulties?

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                  Erm....financial difficulties?
                  Erm...read and comprehend?
                  Originally posted by Soldier96B
                  i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
                    Erm...read and comprehend?

He's an All-Pro CB who excels in man coverage. He's going to get a hefty signing bonus and our only option to compete would be to backload the contract to excessive degrees and offer roster bonuses.

Bly knows his value, he's not going to sign a contract unless it has 8-15 million in guaranteed money, and since he's 30, he's going to want the contract frontloaded, which we can't do, even with restructuring.

This is not taking into account that every FA this offseason will be grossly overpaid due to the excessive finances the majority of the teams find themselves with. Thus, to compete for Bly, we would have to overpay the teams already overpaying him that have 20-30 million more cap room.

Comment

Actually... Dre is a man guy. He struggled this year in the Tampa 2 because he was asked to play soft zones. For some reason, a lot of my fellow Lions fans do not like Dre. Most of that stems from him calling out the golden boy (Joey Harrington). Even though the fact that Joey was benched for Cleo freaking Lemon this year more than vindicates Dre... they hold grudges. Dre is the best CB to play in Detroit in a long time, but he gets ripped by the fans.

In 2005, he had 6 picks despite playing half the year with a cast on his broken hand. The fans called him soft for missing tackles. DUDE HAD A CLUB FOR A HAND AND STILL PLAYED. Think it's easy to tackle NFL players with one hand? In 2006, he was forced to play soft zones and didn't fit the system at all.... he finished w/ just 3 picks. The fans blamed every missed coverage on Bly... when he was supposed to let the receivers go to the safeties. Put him in a scheme that requires him to play aggresive man defensive (like that employed by Jim Bates) and he will return to form.

As a Broncos fan as well... I would love to see him in the 5280. He would be a great compliment to Bailey, and would make the secondary one of the best in the league. Granted, something has to be done about the pass rush. I am not saying ignore that... I am saying address both. Pick up a DT in fa, and draft a DE in the first round. I firmly believe that the addition of Bly, an upgrade at DE and DT, and an upgrade at RB would make the Broncos a legitimate SB contender.

Speaking of upgrading the DT position... how about the Lions throw Marcus Bell into the package? He is on the last year of his deal, which is just over $900K. He would be an affordable replacement (and slight upgrade) for Michael Myers.

Bly would probably agree to an extension before the trade was done. Structure a four-year deal as following:

Signing bonus: $5 Million
                      1st Year: $750,000 - Cap hit $1.75 Mil
                      2nd Year: $2.25 Million + $4 Million Roster Bonus - Cap hit $7.25 Million
                      3rd Year: $5 Million - Cap hit $6 Million - $3 Million if cut/traded
                      4th Year: $6 Million - Cap hit $7 Million - $2 Million if cut/traded
                      5th Year: $8 Million - Cap hit $8 Million - $1 Million if cut/traded

5 years, $31 Million dollars... only a $1.75 Mil hit in 2007. Dre gets $1 million more this year than he would have gotten w/out renegotiating. If he declines or gets hurt... it would only cost $3 mil to cut him before year 3, $2 mil before year 4, or $1 mil before year 5.

Bly and Bell for George Foster and a second round pick?
                      Last edited by The Lion; 02-15-2007, 08:59 PM.

Comment

The ones calling him soft are probably the same ones with paper bags on their heads EVERY SEASON.

Oh and as for us getting him?

No way. Too expensive.

There are plenty of guys I want, but just as many we can't get for cap reasons.

(Insert Cugel-based cap rant)
                        sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                        Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Originally posted by The Lion

The fans blamed every missed coverage on Bly... when he was supposed to let the receivers go to the safeties.
                          Kennoy Kennedy. Word.

Comment

A fan proposed an interesting trade idea today on Moving the Chains on Sirius NFL radio. He proposed trading Matt Schaub and #10 overall from Atlanta to Detroit for Dre Bly and #2 overall.

It is questionable along the lines of the draft value chart but it almost makes sense for Detroit. It really depends on how they value a guy like Schaub because there are only two 1st round value QBs (Russel and Quinn) and it gives Detroit a solid QB of the future as well as a top ten pick that could be used on the second best OT (Levi Brown) if they decide to go that way. Pat Kirwan seemed intrigued by the idea and said he'd probably go for something like that if he was Detroit's GM.

Comment

Working...
                            X