So Much For Sands!! (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Much For Sands!! (Merged)

well, many on here, myself one of the foremost, have talked a lot about the broncos potentially signing monstrous raiders DT terdell sands. . . so much for that!

Raiders | T. Sands re-signed
    Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:31:36 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have re-signed DT Terdell Sands to a four-year contract worth $17 million. He received $4 million to sign the deal. The deal includes salaries of $800,000 (2007), $1.2 million (2008), $1.3 million (2009) and $4.6 million (2010). Roster bonuses of $1.3 million in each of the next three seasons and $800,000 in the final year are also included.

damn it! he would have been an excellent addition to our run defense, and would have fit well in bates' scheme. . . oh well. . .
    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Fudge. This sucks a bit. We probably could have afforded a contract like that too.

Lets trade for him!

Just kidding of course.

I am kidding.

Comment

Well, maybe we could trade someone to the Lions for Marcus Bell, they've got DTs out their ears.

In an ironic twist of events, after posting this thought, the following I read on PFT:

LIONS TO LET HALL, BELL SHOP AROUND, TOO

A member of PFT Planet has alerted us to media reports that the Lions, who have invited cornerback Dre' Bly to find a trade partner, have likewise asked defensive end James Hall and defensive tackle Marcus Bell to do the same.

Bell is signed through 2007, and he is scheduled to earn a base salary of $950,000.

Hall is signed through 2008, at salaries of $2.75 million in 2007 and $3 million in 2008.

Permission to seek a trade is often a precursor to a guy getting cut.

Both of these players are under the radar so to speak, so they are affordable.

Bell is a great clogging DT that has been stuck behind Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding. He deserves to start. He also does not like Rod Marinelli, so he'd probably like to get out of Detroit asap.

Hall is an exceptional Power End and his price is very good value. He's also been a quality player for years on a craptastic line. So, the transition shouldn't impact his numbers in a negative fashion, only improve them.

Trade Bait:

The Lions need a RB since Kevin Jones will be recovering from his Lis Franc for most of this season, I don't see why we can't ship Tater over. Normally I keep Tatum, but if we can get one or both of these guys, and both would be monumental upgrades as starters for us, I would do it in a nano second.

I also don't care that Kevin Jones thinks he'll be ready to go from the outset this season, Lis Franc's are very susceptable to re-injury and generally take 2 years to heal. And their top back up is Arlen Harris, and possibly Brian Calhoun.
      Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 02-15-2007, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
        well, many on here, myself one of the foremost, have talked a lot about the broncos potentially signing monstrous raiders DT terdell sands. . . so much for that!

Raiders | T. Sands re-signed
        Wed, 14 Feb 2007 20:31:36 -0800

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports the Oakland Raiders have re-signed DT Terdell Sands to a four-year contract worth $17 million. He received $4 million to sign the deal. The deal includes salaries of $800,000 (2007), $1.2 million (2008), $1.3 million (2009) and $4.6 million (2010). Roster bonuses of $1.3 million in each of the next three seasons and $800,000 in the final year are also included.

damn it! he would have been an excellent addition to our run defense, and would have fit well in bates' scheme. . . oh well. . .
        I can't help but think the fear of him going to the Broncos was a major factor in him being re-signed.
        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Why would the Lions get rid of Hall ? Untill injured he played very very well, he would be a fantastic and probably affordable signing
          Eric Weddle S Utah

Comment

Well, I do believe he would have been a good addition...but the off-season has only started. I was hoping to get Sands because I think he could have been a force with Warren on the line, yet I feel that they may address the end position more then tackle right now. We may see more defensive tackles added in the draft then some of us had thought.

If we do not sign a tackle here soon, then I do believe the draft as I believe it will go may change, but for now I think it is so early that we are not yet seeing the fallout of coaching changes, player's wants or other issues causing releases or trades...but they will start real soon and Denver could benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
              Well, maybe we could trade someone to the Lions for Marcus Bell, they've got DTs out their ears.

In an ironic twist of events, after posting this thought, the following I read on PFT:

Both of these players are under the radar so to speak, so they are affordable.

Bell is a great clogging DT that has been stuck behind Shaun Rogers and Cory Redding. He deserves to start. He also does not like Rod Marinelli, so he'd probably like to get out of Detroit asap.

Hall is an exceptional Power End and his price is very good value. He's also been a quality player for years on a craptastic line. So, the transition shouldn't impact his numbers in a negative fashion, only improve them.

Trade Bait:

The Lions need a RB since Kevin Jones will be recovering from his Lis Franc for most of this season, I don't see why we can't ship Tater over. Normally I keep Tatum, but if we can get one or both of these guys, and both would be monumental upgrades as starters for us, I would do it in a nano second.

I also don't care that Kevin Jones thinks he'll be ready to go from the outset this season, Lis Franc's are very susceptable to re-injury and generally take 2 years to heal. And their top back up is Arlen Harris, and possibly Brian Calhoun.

What would that make them? The lincos? I hope they would play better than the way their nicknames would sound!!!

Not a bad idea, and they would come cheap... But i am not sure it provides for that one "premier" DE everyone wants, so be ready for some criticism! i think it would be a good deal though.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lord_helmet
                Why would the Lions get rid of Hall ? Untill injured he played very very well, he would be a fantastic and probably affordable signing
                I honestly don't know. They are so thin at defensive end, it's borderline comical. Hall is their best DE by far and if he is traded, that leaves Kalimba Edwards, whom is marginal at best.

It suggests to me that they are going to sign or draft multiple DEs. They have their choice of Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson in the draft, maybe Joe Thomas will slip to the Cardinals afterall.

It's too bad the average fan here won't know who James Hall or Marcus Bell are. Marcus Bell is vastly similar to Terdell Sands and is making millions less per year. The people that wanted Sands, should be doing backflips over the Lions making him available.

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco
                  What would that make them? The lincos? I hope they would play better than the way their nicknames would sound!!!

Not a bad idea, and they would come cheap... But i am not sure it provides for that one "premier" DE everyone wants, so be ready for some criticism! i think it would be a good deal though.

I would just call them "The Upgrades".

Bell probably would put up similar numbers to Myers, but he's bigger and stronger and could collapse the pocket and clog blockers more efficiently.

Hall is quite capable of double digit sacks from Power End. He's certainly not the superstar, but he's very solid, and with our cap situation, he's the absolute best we could likely get.

If we could nab these two solid starters for under 3 million combined, that would round out the remaining holes in our D-line with at least solid players, and it would allow the flexibility of taking the best available player in the draft and not rushing the rookies too fast.

Comment

If we could get these guys that would be great. It would also give us the option of trading this years picks for next years which would be nice if we really do end up with a ton of guys retiring or we could draft for depth this year which is good but not as sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                      I would just call them "The Upgrades".

Bell probably would put up similar numbers to Myers, but he's bigger and stronger and could collapse the pocket and clog blockers more efficiently.

Hall is quite capable of double digit sacks from Power End. He's certainly not the superstar, but he's very solid, and with our cap situation, he's the absolute best we could likely get.

If we could nab these two solid starters for under 3 million combined, that would round out the remaining holes in our D-line with at least solid players, and it would allow the flexibility of taking the best available player in the draft and not rushing the rookies too fast.
                      This would be good. I'm really surprised that the Lions would let Hall go. I don't think Bell would be a massive upgrade, but he is certienly better then everyone other then Warren and would fit very well into the system. I wouldn't mind seeing either guy land here.
                      sigpic
                      The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                      Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Working...
                      X