Cutler's bodyguards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler's bodyguards

How early could you see the Broncos going after a lineman. I could see us and atleast try to make a push for Staley in the early second round. Any other thought on potential players?

I doubt we'll draft any OL until the second day honestly.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

I'd like it if we did, but defense is more important.

Anyway, I'd definitely rather not see Jay on his butt half as much as he was during the SF game. I'm imploring you all to pray that Matt Lepsis is fine next season, because our line isn't exactly great without him. Our RBs had a lot of trouble finding holes, and Jay spent alot of time eating turf. The problem is, Foster and Pears were getting pwned, and we don't really have viable options at those positions, unless we want to put the rooks in, which could be truly bad. But because our O-line is so different from the majority of NFL lines, I don't see us taking one before the 4-5th round, because our linemen tend to fall to us.

In conclusion: Bronco O-line= bleh
      Last edited by evendelae; 02-15-2007, 03:52 PM.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by stretch14
        How early could you see the Broncos going after a lineman. I could see us and atleast try to make a push for Staley in the early second round. Any other thought on potential players?
        I don't see the Broncos taking OL in the first two rounds unless someone has a big time performance at the combine. Then maybe they would take a guy in the second round. When it comes to OL, we generally get the guys most other teams don't want because they are smaller than most teams like their offensive linemen to be.
        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
        You Mad Bro?
        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

You never know with Shanny, and though Stalye had a terrible performance in the Senior Bowl and showed that in pressure games he could be a liability in his first year, I think his physical assets will make him tempting, specifically since he will have dropped somewhat because of his performance in the Senior Bowl.

At first, I was really critical of the kid, and I still am. I think he needs to work on quite a few things. However, I think given his smaller size, speed at the position, while still being impressively strong, make him a great candidate to fall into the Denver organization. If Lepsis looks questionable for this year, and the coaching staff feels they need to replace him, Staley would be a prime place to land. If the Broncos did go for Staley, I think it would be prefable to trade down of the 1st pick to grab him without wasting the value of a #21 pick.

However, I think the chances of us grabbing an OL in the early rounds is slim. I think it is far more likely that the Broncos can find quality personel in later rounds who were passed up because of size issues or other things of that nature. Look at Kuper (7th round I think), Pears (rookie FA), and Eslinger (6th Rounder think) last year, all solid grabs IMO.

I hope to see DE or RB in the first round (Carriker is my pick of choice, but I dont know if he will fall to us), but LT, FS, SS, DE, DT, and RB all possibilities in the first. You never know what shanny will do.
          Last edited by BigBroncLove; 02-15-2007, 04:22 PM.
          sigpic
          The only thing that can stop the ninja.
          Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Well, I am going to disagree with the vast majority on this BB in saying that I think we should be looking at TWO first day OL picks.
            My rationale:

What's the single most important "skill position" on any NFL team?

Quarterback.

- When the QB is young and you invested the highest draft pick in franchise history in him
            - It generally takes a year to groom a decent O-Lineman (as compared to an instant start on the D-Line)
            -Your bread and butter is the run, which is half as good as it should be because of a lack of hole creation
            -Your "D" wore out in the last half of the year largely because they had to play more than they needed to on account of the chains that stopped moving on Offense
            -Opposing teams could game plan and succeed better because we were not going to stuff the ball down their throats, and they had good success on the pass rush

Add it all up and making the O-Line a priority helps out a lot more than merely the D-Line, which we can fill adequately through FA, and/or a lot more time on Offense!

----

I think that you put it all together and it adds up to priority O-Line, even if we can get our style of linemen later on Day 1.

----

Comment

I dunno how early, but shanny is and always will be an offensive guy. He also knows with no line, no team will ever be really great. D is stilll are most pressing need, but i wouldnt be surprised to see some o-line action if we keep all of our day one picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples
                Well, I am going to disagree with the vast majority on this BB in saying that I think we should be looking at TWO first day OL picks.
                My rationale:

What's the single most important "skill position" on any NFL team?

Quarterback.

- When the QB is young and you invested the highest draft pick in franchise history in him
                - It generally takes a year to groom a decent O-Lineman (as compared to an instant start on the D-Line)
                -Your bread and butter is the run, which is half as good as it should be because of a lack of hole creation
                -Your "D" wore out in the last half of the year largely because they had to play more than they needed to on account of the chains that stopped moving on Offense
                -Opposing teams could game plan and succeed better because we were not going to stuff the ball down their throats, and they had good success on the pass rush

Add it all up and making the O-Line a priority helps out a lot more than merely the D-Line, which we can fill adequately through FA, and/or a lot more time on Offense!

----

I think that you put it all together and it adds up to priority O-Line, even if we can get our style of linemen later on Day 1.

----
                Two first day picks is beyond overkill IMO, especially on the first day. Infact I think the only rationale that explains a first day pick at all is to fit in a player that could possibly fit into LT if Lepsis is not healthy and can make an immediate impact. I do understand that the OL is a very difficult system, and the Broncos especially like to give time for OL to adjust to the system for a year or two before they see starting time. None the less, Pears started as a rookie FA at LT, and while his play was not mind boglling, to ask anything more form a rookie in a difficult position like LT would be expecting to much.

-LT we still have the opportunity for Lepsis to return, who is an amazing playmaker on the OL, and was one of the major reasons that the OL did not play to form this year.

-LG is easily Hamiltons next year unless Nalen chooses to retire and then Hamilton moves over to Center, his natural position. He's the best fit there because of his experience and his past as a Center. If Hamilton moves, then Myers would be a fine fit in at LG. Eslinger could also offer competition for the spot.

-C is Nalens or Hamiltons job depending on if Nalen will retire.

-RG is up in the air but not for long. Kuper apparently really impressed the coaching staff this year and while they wanted to wait for a year to let him develop, the under performance of Carlisle has almost made him a shoe in for RG. Myers, if Nalen returns, could also be a candidate since he has more time in the system and is not a bad player himself.

-RT is probably without a doubt going to Pears. While his performance at LT wasn't quite as shinning as some had hoped, his performance as a rookie (grabbed in FA) is a stunner at the difficult LT position. With his strength, athleticism, and size (6'8, 300lbs) he will be a great fit at RT IMO.

So really, if you ask me there is only one glaring hole that needs filling this season and that all depends on whether Lepsis is able to return. Even if he does return at full strength, the coaching staff could pick high to find a man to replace him soon like Staley. However two first day picks at OL? I think that is extremely doubtful and would be a waste of a pick for important positions.

As for the defense wearing down because of spending lots of time on the field. It is true, the Broncos defense near the later end of the season looked tired, and a little beat up to me, like the brusies from last week hadn't had a chance to heal properly. The offense wasn't spending as much time on the field as they should have, and often relied on big plays to get the big scores, which means that even if we grabbed 7 we weren't chewing up a lot of clock.

However, that does not mean that the DL created steady pressure in the beginning of games either when they were at their freshest and should have been performing to their highest capabilities. Even at the beginning of the season when our offense finally started to click (the Patriots game), the plays that did break down were not because the DB's weren't maintaining coverage, but because the DL did not produce any pressure, and I mean ANY pressure. This was problem even during our great stretch of wins between NE and SD.

While I agree that the offenses time on the field did effect the D's play, the fact remains that as a unit, many of our defensive breakdowns came from DL specifically. Our secondary still did great given the injuries, and the LB core played to par. The weak link in the chain was the DL, and IMO it's weaker then the OL, who suffered poor play more from injuries (the loss of Lepsis and Meadows) then it did from having poor players. I can't say the same thing about the DL.

That is not to say we don't have personel worth holding onto on the DL, but as far as I'm concerned, DL is key this coming year.
                Last edited by BigBroncLove; 02-15-2007, 07:03 PM.
                sigpic
                The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

For those who seem convinced that our o-line isn't very good, and that we need to draft linemen early I feel the need to correct an obvious misconception. That misconception is that it was due to terrible o-line play that Cutler took a lot of hits/sacks. It just isn't the case. Did the o-line blow it here and there? Yes. But the truth is that our running backs were terrible at picking up rushers (or even slowing them down), and Cutler had terrible pocket awareness (failing to step up or scramble in situations where he should have). Overall, our o-line did a solid job protecting our QB (aside from Foster), but the other aspects of pass protection were terrible.
                  Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

I forgot which forum i was in.

But the title of this scared me and i thought Cutler was having people with him at all times because of what Happened to Darrent!

But i would like to get some Olinemen!

our line last year with Cutler made me sick!

i hope we get some improvments!

Comment

how ´bout that TE mustard... could he be transferred to LT instead of TE? to be TE you have to be quick, and that´s also the case with LTs

Comment

Two Words

Levi Brown

I would for Jay to have a stud at LT!!

----------------------------------------------
                        I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

anyone seen his 3 cone drill times?

Comment

Originally posted by stretch14

you guys are trippin over the fact we need offensive line so much, dont forget pears, Kuper, and Myers people. along with Eslinger when Nalen decides to hang them up, We are set at offensive line, and I dont see us taking any offensive lineman in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by EMB123903
                              you guys are trippin over the fact we need offensive line so much, dont forget pears, Kuper, and Myers people. along with Eslinger when Nalen decides to hang them up, We are set at offensive line, and I dont see us taking any offensive lineman in the first round.
                              I agree that our core O-line has tons of potential. However, we do not have the depth at T or the prospects at LT. I don't think we really have a choice. We must draft a surefire LT starter this year to groom for a year or two.
                              sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Working...
                              X