Future OT's for Cutler...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future OT's for Cutler...

This draft is considered "weak" by most "gurus" for OT's. There are no Walter Jones or Orlando Pace's in this draft. The 340 lb monsters are not there this year. One thing I have noticed that there are numerous potential "Denver" OT in this draft.

All the pre draft talk of drafting Dlineman, safety's and RB's, but nobody is talking about OT's, which is a major issue.

Lepsis is getting old and recovering from injury.
    Foster...who the heck knows what is going on with him.
    Pears is still questionable.

There is at least one more roster spot available for one more OT and Meadows is not the answer. Shanny has to protect the franchise, does he take an OT early this year???

Does anybody have any more info on these guys?

Joe Staley -OT- Central Michigan- 6-5 295 lbs
    Tony Ugoh - OT- Arkansas - 6-5 300 lb's
    Ryan Harris - OT- Notre Dame- 6-4 300 lb's
    Mike Otto -OT- Purdue- 6-4 305 lb's
    Adam Koets -OT- Oregon State - 6-6 295lb's
    Doug Free- OT- Northern Illinois- 6-5 315 lb's

Ugoh and Staley should be first or second round picks and would seem ideal for our system.

The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Chad Johnson - Wyoming
    Jeff Perrett - Tulsa

Comment

[QUOTE=BroncoRT]This draft is considered "weak" by most "gurus" for OT's. There are no Walter Jones or Orlando Pace's in this draft. The 340 lb monsters are not there this year. One thing I have noticed that there are numerous potential "Denver" OT in this draft.

Actually, you could very well compare Joe Thomas coming out of College to Walter Jones coming out of college, both Elite Prospects, and levi brown is a very solid player with tons of potential, just isnt as deep as people think

Comment

Doug Free seems like he'd be a great fit here with that speed. We need to draft this year with a view to starting in 2008 at LT. I'm comfy with Pears at RT.
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
          This draft is considered "weak" by most "gurus" for OT's. There are no Walter Jones or Orlando Pace's in this draft. The 340 lb monsters are not there this year. One thing I have noticed that there are numerous potential "Denver" OT in this draft.

All the pre draft talk of drafting Dlineman, safety's and RB's, but nobody is talking about OT's, which is a major issue.

Lepsis is getting old and recovering from injury.
          Foster...who the heck knows what is going on with him.
          Pears is still questionable.

There is at least one more roster spot available for one more OT and Meadows is not the answer. Shanny has to protect the franchise, does he take an OT early this year???

Does anybody have any more info on these guys?

Joe Staley -OT- Central Michigan- 6-5 295 lbs
          Tony Ugoh - OT- Arkansas - 6-5 300 lb's
          Ryan Harris - OT- Notre Dame- 6-4 300 lb's
          Mike Otto -OT- Purdue- 6-4 305 lb's
          Adam Koets -OT- Oregon State - 6-6 295lb's
          Doug Free- OT- Northern Illinois- 6-5 315 lb's

Ugoh and Staley should be first or second round picks and would seem ideal for our system.
          You can't compare the OTs that other teams covet to the ones who would do well in the Broncos system.

For instance, Joe Thomas is 6'6", 310 lbs and runs a 5.22 40. He's an elite power running tackle. Levi Brown is 6'6", 323. Those are the kind of players who are top prospects everybody scouts.

Matt Lepsis is 6'4" 290 lbs. He's a different kind of player. He wouldn't be a top pick for many teams because he's "undersized".

The last time the Broncos took an OT in the first round - George Foster - it was a disaster! Foster was supposed to be "fast" enough to make the transition to the Broncos system, even though he's 6'5", 338 lbs, but he never could. He was too slow foot-speed and lacked mobility to succeed. He was projected to take over the starting LT position in his 2nd or 3rd year, but instead he's been pushed down the depth chart and is currently behind Adam Meadows!

I seriously doubt Shanahan wants to recreate that same mistake again.

He successfully drafted starters like Ben Hamilton in the 4th round, Chris Kuper in the 5th, and the LT who took Lepsis' place, Eric Pears wasn't even drafted. They've also got Greg Eslinger who is a promising prosepct at C who was on the practice squad last year after being taken in the 6th round.

Why change a successful draft strategy of taking smaller faster OL in the later rounds and compete with every other power-rushing team to draft the same big lugs that fit their system, when you've had success drafting smaller and more versatile players in the later rounds or as undrafted FAs?
          Last edited by Cugel; 02-16-2007, 10:28 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
            You can't compare the OTs that other teams covet to the ones who would do well in the Broncos system.

For instance, Joe Thomas is 6'6", 310 lbs and runs a 5.22 40. He's an elite power running tackle. Levi Brown is 6'6", 323. Those are the kind of players who are top prospects everybody scouts.

Matt Lepsis is 6'4" 290 lbs. He's a different kind of player. He wouldn't be a top pick for many teams because he's "undersized".

The last time the Broncos took an OT in the first round - George Foster - it was a disaster! Foster was supposed to be "fast" enough to make the transition to the Broncos system, even though he's 6'5", 338 lbs, but he never could. He was too slow foot-speed and lacked mobility to succeed. He was projected to take over the starting LT position in his 2nd or 3rd year, but instead he's been pushed down the depth chart and is currently behind Adam Meadows!

I seriously doubt Shanahan wants to recreate that same mistake again.

He successfully drafted starters like Ben Hamilton in the 4th round, Chris Kuper in the 5th, and the LT who took Lepsis' place, Eric Pears wasn't even drafted. They've also got Greg Eslinger who is a promising prosepct at C who was on the practice squad last year after being taken in the 6th round.

Why change a successful draft strategy of taking smaller faster OL in the later rounds and compete with every other power-rushing team to draft the same big lugs that fit their system, when you've had success drafting smaller and more versatile players in the later rounds or as undrafted FAs?

Shanny needs to protect the franchise. He hasn't had the franchise QB like he has now since Elway left. OT is a big question mark. Foster wasn't a prototypical Bronco lineman and Shanny got burned, but the guys I listed seem to fit the Bronco lineman mold. Staley and Ugoh are late first round to second round material. Both are 290-300lb's with good quickness and would flourish in Denver.

Personally, I want Charles Johnson (if he drops) at #21 but Shanny might have other ideas. Ot will be an option.
            The three Keys to football
            1. Turnovers
            2. Field Position
            3. Red Zone Play

Comment

I highly doubt Denver will take Staley in the first round, I personally think he is an excellent tackle and would be glad they got him. I think Denver is likely to add depth and potential lineman earlier then expected. I know I have talked with a couple draft experts that think Denver is very worried about the line right and believe they will add linemen in the draft.

Comment

Cugel, you make an excellent point, but if the Broncos want to ensure the protection of the Golden Boy, I don't think we can rely on our success in developing average talent into good players on our line for a while. Guards and center, understandable, but Denver needs a left tackle for the future and it's in my opinion a first day need. Sure, Pears had relative success this year, but you get my point. Also, it's no guarantee that a first-day tackle would have more success than a late-round guy, but I think Denver should do all it can to make our offensive line better.

Comment

I think the Broncos should try and acquire Eric Winston from the Texans when and if Jake gets dealt to them. Eric Winston is 6'6 313 and is a former TE from the U.
                  ESPN Says:
                  #73 Eric Winston | OT Roster:

Full Name: Eric Winston
                  Born: November 17, 1983
                  Midland, TX
                  Height: 6-6
                  Weight: 311 lbs.

Pos: OT
                  Experience: 0 years
                  College: Miami (FL)

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
                  Grade: 30 | Key
                  Alert: RD

Comment:
                  Has a rare combination of size and athleticism. He has a long arms and a wide wingspan. His feet and lateral movement skills are outstanding. He has a quick set in pass pro and almost never gets beat around the corner with pure speed. Is balanced and shows very good body control. A natural knee-bender. Shows the ability to mirror and slide versus the most athletic DE's he's faced. He possesses adequate upper body strength. He has long arms and strong hands to maintain separation. Takes good angles as a run blocker. Has great speed and mobility for his position. Can get downfield quickly as a second-level blocker and shows the consistent ability to hit the moving target. He's a hard worker and a team leader.

Sounds like a perfect fit
                  Last edited by Celtpride36; 02-16-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Joe Staley

I would love to have this guy. Most of the heralded draft experts all say that this guys speed and agility are second to no other Offensive Tackle. Lepsis may never be the same, and this guy can come in and be the franchise tackle that cutler needs. Another name that impresses me is Mike Otto. He averaged 1.8 flatbacks/pancake blocks PER GAME his junior and senior year. That is when you knock a defensive lineman on his back. He has good Denver size and speed, and he likely won't be taken by anyone until the fourth or fifth round.
                    09-17-08: OFFICIALLY BACKING JARVIS MOSS TO TURN INTO ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE END WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.-we are all allowed one mistake, right?

Loved McD 's first full FA. Can't wait to see the draft.

2010 Draft WISHlist:

Any center since we don't have one.

Comment

Originally posted by muffcon350
                      I would love to have this guy. Most of the heralded draft experts all say that this guys speed and agility are second to no other Offensive Tackle. Lepsis may never be the same, and this guy can come in and be the franchise tackle that cutler needs. Another name that impresses me is Mike Otto. He averaged 1.8 flatbacks/pancake blocks PER GAME his junior and senior year. That is when you knock a defensive lineman on his back. He has good Denver size and speed, and he likely won't be taken by anyone until the fourth or fifth round.
                      You really do not pay attention to the draft or draft grades do you? Because Joe Staley is a first round to early second round graded tackle. Best you can hope for is that a few other lineman surpass him at the combine and he drops to our pick in the 2nd Round.

Comment

The interesting thing about Staley is that he's possibly the largest, fastest man in the NFL.

4.7 40 at 6'6 and 300 lbs is nuts. Thats bigger and faster then Adam Carriker, who is being described as having freakish ability. We just have to find out how strong Staley is.

Most draft experts think that three years from now, Staley will be the best O-lineman taken from this draft.

Staley will be a mid 1st round pick after the Combine/Pro Days. He might not even be available to us at 21 to consider.
                        Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 02-16-2007, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
                          You really do not pay attention to the draft or draft grades do you? Because Joe Staley is a first round to early second round graded tackle. Best you can hope for is that a few other lineman surpass him at the combine and he drops to our pick in the 2nd Round.
                          I pay attention just fine thank you very much. Apparently you have zero comprehension skills, because you can obviously read and right, but can you comprehend what you read? Nowhere in my post did I say that denver would take Joe Staley. All I said was that "I would love to have this guy." Most people do expect him to fall to the early second round. But his stock should rise once he shows what he can do at the combine next week. However I do expect thomas, brown, and Tony Ugoh to go ahead of him, just because he has height, but is still only about 300 lbs, and most teams want heavier tackles, especially that high in the draft. Just because a guy is graded out as a first round pick doesn't mean he will go in the first round, it all depends on how many team need to address his position that early in the draft and how many other first round quality tackles there will be.

And if anyone seriously thinks that denver will stay at their current picks in the draft is crazy.
                          09-17-08: OFFICIALLY BACKING JARVIS MOSS TO TURN INTO ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE END WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.-we are all allowed one mistake, right?

2010 Draft WISHlist:

Comment

I pay attention just fine thank you very much. Apparently you have zero comprehension skills, because you can obviously read and right, but can you comprehend what you read? Nowhere in my post did I say that denver would take Joe Staley. All I said was that "I would love to have this guy." Most people do expect him to fall to the early second round. But his stock should rise once he shows what he can do at the combine next week. However I do expect thomas, brown, and Tony Ugoh to go ahead of him, just because he has height, but is still only about 300 lbs, and most teams want heavier tackles, especially that high in the draft. Just because a guy is graded out as a first round pick doesn't mean he will go in the first round, it all depends on how many team need to address his position that early in the draft and how many other first round quality tackles there will be.

And if anyone seriously thinks that denver will stay at their current picks in the draft is crazy.
                            I do not believe they will stay where they are now in the draft. And personally I like the thought of Mike Otto, Joe Staley or Chase Johnson as the future left tackle here. But I think Otto and Staley may climb up come the combine, well Otto at least I think Staley may stay very close to where he is right now.

Comment

I agree

I definitely agree with you. The question is will shanny continue to try and find OLIne talent on day two or will he change his ways and draft a OT on day one. He could shy away from this due to how big a bust Foster was. I can't wait until the draft.

2010 Draft WISHlist:

Comment

Working...
                              X